Shisha cafes must stop selling shisha, Thai officials warn of crackdown

webfact

Shisha cafes must stop selling shisha, officials warn of crackdown
By Coconuts Bangkok

barakucoco.jpg?itok=O8I6UgHa

The powers that be want smokers to keep their puffing to cigarettes.

BANGKOK: -- After going after electronic cigarettes, officials will begin a crackdown on the sale of shisha, the illegally-imported-yet-widely-smoked tobacco, after junta chief Gen. Prayuth Chanocha expressed concern about its popularity.

Public shisha cafes, which have spread in recent years as its popularity has grown in Bangkok, could have their business licenses revoked.

Inspections of venues selling shisha sale will be made throughout the kingdom, especially of cafes near universities, according to Somchai Pulsawas, director-general of the Excise Department.

He added the sale and import of shisha is strictly prohibited in Thailand, and authorities are allowed to confiscate any flavored tobacco and smoking equipment sold publicly.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/08/18/shisha-cafes-must-stop-selling-shisha-officials-warn-crackdown

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-08-18

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting.

These are very popular in Pattaya ... among Middle Eastern tourists, Thais, and also Russian tourists.

I was in a restaurant the other day and it was all Russian tourists doing that ... the stink ruined the food experience of eating unfortunately.

It sounds like that kind of place would be a low priority to crack down on based on the OP. Hmm. coffee1.gif

The reason they want to clamp down on that and the electronic cigarettes is they are missing out on collecting the tax

That may indeed be true but in the case of shisha targeting student areas in mentioned, indicating a concern about health, and keep in mind shisha smoking is extremely carcinogenic.

I believe that it s ridiculous to put so much effort for so little thing...

As somebody said, this is only to force people to smoke normal cigarette et pay taxes... the same happen in EUrope.

Electronic cigaret are not worst than normal cigaret...but it gives less taxes to the governement...

Also it is a FOREIGN indulgence so ..... well you know.

That seems to indeed be part of this.

Again the focus on where the smokers are Thai students, not foreign tourists.

There are multiple issues here.

Any government has an interest in upholding laws and it is a banned substance. It arguably shouldn't be, but it is.

As far as not harming anyone, it does harm the smokers, but I agree that's their choice.

I cited a case when it is done in venues where indoor and outdoor are not separated in restaurants, it does bother the people just wanting to eat.

They must have starter reaching the bottom of the to do list, if this is a big issue.

Or if its alphabetical.

Shisha

Shinawatra.....

Well if your alphabetical order is correct, then we can't be heading to Z, as Shinawatra has been covered and so have Zoos and Tarit (although xenophobia was missed out, and thus Shisha was missed out too). I wish they'd take it randomly, and maybe start with Chaler.... giggle.gif

They must have starter reaching the bottom of the to do list, if this is a big issue.

Or if its alphabetical.

Shisha

Shinawatra.....

Well if your alphabetical order is correct, then we can't be heading to Z, as Shinawatra has been covered and so have Zoos and Tarit (although xenophobia was missed out, and thus Shisha was missed out too). I wish they'd take it randomly, and maybe start with Chaler.... giggle.gif

When leaders start issuing edicts like this, you know the power is starting to go to their head.

Ban shisha, ban this, ban that. An essentially victimless crime while a thousand crimes a second are committed in his own government.

Corruption is the key. Smash that and u can stay in charge for a decade.

Retarded ideas once again from Somkwai. The first ban that should start is banning this guy from being head of Excise. This is a cultural item. Hope the shops that WERE in business find another country to do business that respects them more, and where their investment isn't banned or swindled by the likes of Thai's Excise morons.

Edited by gemini81

Great, after the imporatant Shisha issue is over I may I want to suggest that the general tries to get Thailand of the second place in the worldwide ranking of the number traffic deaths.

How many Thai people need to see their children die before something will be done?

Great, after the imporatant Shisha issue is over I may I want to suggest that the general tries to get Thailand of the second place in the worldwide ranking of the number traffic deaths.

How many Thai people need to see their children die before something will be done?

and poverty and education..this is such a nit-picking trivial farce. It highlights an undeveloped nation with such undeveloped, short-sided thinking. At least it helps our egos surrounded by such idiots so numerous!

Shisha is much less harmful way of smoking tobacco. If you've ever tried it before, you would understand what I'm talking about.

That is incorrect.thumbsup.gif Many shisha smokers think that though.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/hookah-health-risks.html

To repeat what I have mentioned, the health risks of smoking hookah are no less damaging than in the case of cigarette smoking. In fact, according to the Tobacco Control Collaboration Centre, hookah is 400 to 450 times worse than a cigarette. As cited already, most people easily ignore all such health warnings, and some do not even consider hookah as smoking. The decked out settings of hookah bars, the smooth smell, taste and less irritating nature of the hookah smoke creates an inviting and seemingly less-harmful atmosphere for people. But baring all such phony features of this culture of smoking, it is nothing but a bag full of sicknesses and painful rewards.

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/tobacco_industry/hookahs/

Because of the way a hookah is used, smokers may absorb more of the toxic substances also found in cigarette smoke than cigarette smokers do.1,2
An hour-long hookah smoking session involves 200 puffs, while smoking an average cigarette involves 20 puffs.1,2
The amount of smoke inhaled during a typical hookah session is about 90,000 milliliters (ml), compared with 500–600 ml inhaled when smoking a cigarette.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/quit-smoking/expert-answers/hookah/faq-20057920

Hookah smoking is not safer than cigarette smoking.
Edited by Jingthing