Entered Thailand on UK passport. Will there be a problem leaving on Thai passport?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

All of the convoluted logic about the catch 22s etc may be valid, but the simplicity of the solution in post 18 seems overlooked here. Do a "border run", out on the UK, in on the Thai. Home free.

No, border run is not enough because land border officer want to see stamps matching on the same passport, even if there is no written law or regulation prescribing that. Again, Thai non-sense and jealousy.

I don't understand what stamps are missing. She entered Thailand using her UK passport and left using he UK passport so all the stamps match and she re-enters Thailand using her newly acquired Thai passport. This is what would happen if she had lost her original Thai passport. She hasn't broken any rules and can show the UK passport for evidence. What stamps don't match?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

All of the convoluted logic about the catch 22s etc may be valid, but the simplicity of the solution in post 18 seems overlooked here. Do a "border run", out on the UK, in on the Thai. Home free.

No, border run is not enough because land border officer want to see stamps matching on the same passport, even if there is no written law or regulation prescribing that. Again, Thai non-sense and jealousy.

I don't understand what stamps are missing. She entered Thailand using her UK passport and left using he UK passport so all the stamps match and she re-enters Thailand using her newly acquired Thai passport. This is what would happen if she had lost her original Thai passport. She hasn't broken any rules and can show the UK passport for evidence. What stamps don't match?

My comment is about doing a land border crossing for the purpose of re-entering on a different passport.

Thai officers actively try to prevent that, although I don't doubt that in some case one may succeed.

Edited by paz

Actually, the address in Bangkok can be a requirement for a 'Farang', dependent on the office. Lad Phrao, during the CW closure, required just that.

But she might have an issue when re-entering the UK, if she did manage to leave Thailand on her Thai passport.

That isnt correct. There would be no issue entering the UK. If using a biometric passport you go through an electronic booth which only checks the validity of your passport. Only Thailand cares about entry and exit stamps matching. actually it is illegal to even stamp an UK or EC passport on entry as that would imply immigration control over EC citizens

The ILR is superseded by citizenship as you correctly state. However, that does not "cancel" the ILR stamp.

I believe it does. At least, I have not heard of exclusion orders being made when Britons by naturalisation are deprived of citizenship.
It is not cancelled. It is superseded. There is a technical difference and a practical one (see my previous post). If citizenship is revoked you cannot revert back to ILR. I dont understand the relevance of the reference to exclusion orders as Citizenship can be revoked without an exclusion order being imposed.

Op has been given good advice, early on in the thread already. But since he know it all anyway I'm sure he will not listen and do whatever he feels is right.

@ the OP: this whole thread has been a waste of your time (up to you) and others time, which is a pity.

Many Thai's are not aware they can enter on a expired passport. Even personnel at some Thai embassies are not aware of it. There are many countries that allow their citizens to enter with an expired passport.

Info on extension. Many people have gotten it after entering on the wrong passport.

2.23 In the case of a person who used to have Thai nationality or whose parent is or was of Thai nationality visiting relatives or returning to his or her original homeland:

Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

(1) Must have evidence that the applicant used to have Thai nationality or that his her parent is or was of Thai nationality.

She could also apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht an get 7 days to leave the country. And then apply for the new 30 day extension on the 29th.

Just to let you know that my GF managed to get a one year extension today based on your advice so thank you.

On her second visit to Chaeng Wattana yesterday, she was pretty much told that she needed to go back to Buriram to make the application as that is where her family live and where she is registered for her tambien baan/Thai ID card. You may recall that on her first visit at CW, she had been told that she could only have 7 days and no more.

I thought that since CW didn't seem to be very helpful, a change of approach would seem to be called for, so as my GF's sister lives in Chonburi, I stuck my GF on a bus to Pattaya to meet with her sister at Jomtien immigration. I made sure she had a copy of the Police Order to which you have referenced above but they were apparently far more congenial at Jomtien and issued a one year extension without any quibble.

Third time lucky and thanks again for the advice which does prove the value of this forum! It is unfortunate that there are those who consider that clarification of advice being given is tantamount to ignoring such advice, and I would assure you that that is not the case. As I am professionally trained as a lawyer, I do tend to make sure that I understand the basis on which advice is being given, and its applicability, and "checking the facts" shouldn't be (and I hope hasn't been) taken as being discourteous in any way. It is simply making sure that I fully understand the advice and the applicability so that it is followed and applied correctly. As a number of posts on this thread have demonstrated, not all advice given, however seemingly authoritative, is correct or appropriate.

I appreciate also that I may have expressed frustration (and indeed incredulity) at the situation, but that is, I would have thought at least understandable. Anyway cheers to all who have been helpful, and apologies to anyone who has felt slighted in any way.

• Like 2

Many Thai's are not aware they can enter on a expired passport. Even personnel at some Thai embassies are not aware of it. There are many countries that allow their citizens to enter with an expired passport.

Info on extension. Many people have gotten it after entering on the wrong passport.

2.23 In the case of a person who used to have Thai nationality or whose parent is or was of Thai nationality visiting relatives or returning to his or her original homeland:

Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

(1) Must have evidence that the applicant used to have Thai nationality or that his her parent is or was of Thai nationality.

She could also apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht an get 7 days to leave the country. And then apply for the new 30 day extension on the 29th.

Just to let you know that my GF managed to get a one year extension today based on your advice so thank you.

On her second visit to Chaeng Wattana yesterday, she was pretty much told that she needed to go back to Buriram to make the application as that is where her family live and where she is registered for her tambien baan/Thai ID card. You may recall that on her first visit at CW, she had been told that she could only have 7 days and no more.

I thought that since CW didn't seem to be very helpful, a change of approach would seem to be called for, so as my GF's sister lives in Chonburi, I stuck my GF on a bus to Pattaya to meet with her sister at Jomtien immigration. I made sure she had a copy of the Police Order to which you have referenced above but they were apparently far more congenial at Jomtien and issued a one year extension without any quibble.

Third time lucky and thanks again for the advice which does prove the value of this forum! It is unfortunate that there are those who consider that clarification of advice being given is tantamount to ignoring such advice, and I would assure you that that is not the case. As I am professionally trained as a lawyer, I do tend to make sure that I understand the basis on which advice is being given, and its applicability, and "checking the facts" shouldn't be (and I hope hasn't been) taken as being discourteous in any way. It is simply making sure that I fully understand the advice and the applicability so that it is followed and applied correctly. As a number of posts on this thread have demonstrated, not all advice given, however seemingly authoritative, is correct or appropriate.

I appreciate also that I may have expressed frustration (and indeed incredulity) at the situation, but that is, I would have thought at least understandable. Anyway cheers to all who have been helpful, and apologies to anyone who has felt slighted in any way.

Good news - so, National Police Order 327/2772 Case 2.23 did the trick.

She already is in possession of her renewed Thai Passport - obtained in Thailand? (Turn around time usually 2 days).

Will she want to re-enter Thailand at some future date on her Thai Passport? (If for nothing else other than to not worry about extensions).

So, on leaving Thailand, present the British Passport which has the entry stamp in it, together with the valid Thai Passport. Explain to the Immigration Officer that she wishes to re-enter Thailand in the future on her Thai Passport, and would they please place an exit stamp in that Thai Passport, as well as the British Passport.

That is, have BOTH passports stamped with a departure stamp.

A member of my family, and a close friend both had an identical situation. The Immigration Officers at the airport on both occasions were obliging and courteous, after asking a few questions.

Can't offer any advise about overstay vs. extension.

Thanks. I will advise her to try this. As I said, the worst case scenario is that she just pays overstay on leaving. The cost of an extension plus cost of trips to Chaeng Wattana becomes marginal in terms of overstay for a short time.

I can only repeat that my GF said that the officer she spoke to at Immigration at Chaeng Wattana was very unhelpful. My GF is normally polite and courteous so I have no reason to believe that she said anything wrong. She was surprised that they were so brusque considering that she is Thai. Maybe she will have better luck at the airport.

I'm a Thai dual national. That previous post is awful advice.

As others have said, it is possible to enter Thailand on an expired Thai passport. I've done it twice, in once case 2 years after the passport expired.

Your GF is here now as a Brit. I've read your 'it shouldn' be that way' statements, but you are just going to have to suck it up and accept it.

You have two options.

1) Ask for an explicit one year extension of stay in the British passport based on being a Thai national. 1900 baht. Bobs your uncle.

2) Passport swap. This can be done by air only.

She departs on her British passport before her 30 day entry is up. Stamp out only on Brit passport. She entered as a Brit. She leaves as a Brit. Don't confuse matters.

Flies to a neighbouring country (KL, Singapore). Turns around, comes back.

Given she has a new Thai passport now she can simply go through the electronic gates at Suvanabhumi.

If she re-enters on a LCC at Don Muang, she simply hands over both old and new Thai passports to the IO, and they can choose which one to stamp her in on. And she is back in Thailand as a Thai.

Trust me, this is the way to do it.

Irrespective of the "quality" of the advice, what was said in my post is accurate, true, and happened.

First instance was my daughter, a dual Anglo/Thai national, and I was present at the immigration booth when this particular request was made, 4 years ago. She entered as a Brit, and she left as a Brit - but then asked the officer to put a departed stamp on her new Thai Passport to enable future returns to the Kingdom on her Thai Passport. This was obligingly done.

Second occasion was a Thai National, living in UK, possessing UK passport, and expired Thai Passport. Arrived as a Brit, renewed Thai passport at Pinklao, departed as a Brit, but asked for a departure stamp to be placed in her pristine new Thai Passport. Done. 2 years ago.

I cannot say this would be done in every case, nor whether, given the current worldwide security issues would be allowed to happen ever again.

All I know is what I know.

She already is in possession of her renewed Thai Passport - obtained in Thailand? (Turn around time usually 2 days).

Will she want to re-enter Thailand at some future date on her Thai Passport? (If for nothing else other than to not worry about extensions).

So, on leaving Thailand, present the British Passport which has the entry stamp in it, together with the valid Thai Passport. Explain to the Immigration Officer that she wishes to re-enter Thailand in the future on her Thai Passport, and would they please place an exit stamp in that Thai Passport, as well as the British Passport.

That is, have BOTH passports stamped with a departure stamp.

A member of my family, and a close friend both had an identical situation. The Immigration Officers at the airport on both occasions were obliging and courteous, after asking a few questions.

Can't offer any advise about overstay vs. extension.

Thanks. I will advise her to try this. As I said, the worst case scenario is that she just pays overstay on leaving. The cost of an extension plus cost of trips to Chaeng Wattana becomes marginal in terms of overstay for a short time.

I can only repeat that my GF said that the officer she spoke to at Immigration at Chaeng Wattana was very unhelpful. My GF is normally polite and courteous so I have no reason to believe that she said anything wrong. She was surprised that they were so brusque considering that she is Thai. Maybe she will have better luck at the airport.

I'm a Thai dual national. That previous post is awful advice.

As others have said, it is possible to enter Thailand on an expired Thai passport. I've done it twice, in once case 2 years after the passport expired.

Your GF is here now as a Brit. I've read your 'it shouldn' be that way' statements, but you are just going to have to suck it up and accept it.

You have two options.

1) Ask for an explicit one year extension of stay in the British passport based on being a Thai national. 1900 baht. Bobs your uncle.

2) Passport swap. This can be done by air only.

She departs on her British passport before her 30 day entry is up. Stamp out only on Brit passport. She entered as a Brit. She leaves as a Brit. Don't confuse matters.

Flies to a neighbouring country (KL, Singapore). Turns around, comes back.

Given she has a new Thai passport now she can simply go through the electronic gates at Suvanabhumi.

If she re-enters on a LCC at Don Muang, she simply hands over both old and new Thai passports to the IO, and they can choose which one to stamp her in on. And she is back in Thailand as a Thai.

Trust me, this is the way to do it.

Irrespective of the "quality" of the advice, what was said in my post is accurate, true, and happened.

First instance was my daughter, a dual Anglo/Thai national, and I was present at the immigration booth when this particular request was made, 4 years ago. She entered as a Brit, and she left as a Brit - but then asked the officer to put a departed stamp on her new Thai Passport to enable future returns to the Kingdom on her Thai Passport. This was obligingly done.

Second occasion was a Thai National, living in UK, possessing UK passport, and expired Thai Passport. Arrived as a Brit, renewed Thai passport at Pinklao, departed as a Brit, but asked for a departure stamp to be placed in her pristine new Thai Passport. Done. 2 years ago.

I cannot say this would be done in every case, nor whether, given the current worldwide security issues would be allowed to happen ever again.

All I know is what I know.

Thanks for the update. Plenty of people on topics like this spout off advice which is unworkable. Yours is highly unusual but I don't doubt it happened as you explained, so a mea culpa on my behalf is warranted.

• Like 1