New cars.. which brands/models offer good value IMO

Looking at resale values, i realized I might as well buy new, especially as I intend to keep the car for 10 yrs and can then order the spec I want etc

The next stage is looking at models under budget. Initially that was around 1.5M. Firstly I was considering SUV's (CRV and Mazda CX5). I noticed Mercedes are silly expensive, and that BMW are not badly priced, considering. Ie the latest 1 series is a really nice car, far better than the new A class, and cheaper. The latest 3 series starts at 2.25M which is a relative bargain in Thailand for a luxury western brand.

So a couple of questions, which brands will offer the most discount and what are your model recommendations?

on my list currently

Honda CRV ugly but a lot of car for the money, looks expensive

Mazda CX 5 Good looking, good to drive and roomy. Interior is a bit bland

BMW 1 series Good value, great to drive, lovely interior but has to have the Xenon's and this pushes the price up

BMW 3 series Much better value than the new C class. Interior is lovely, drives well.

don't buy imported cars when you talk about value for money. Outrageously expensive, whether it is Benz, BM, Lexus, Volvo, Porsche etc....

Anything else is a bit subjective, whether you buy Mazda, Honda, Toyota, Isuzu and so on. Most popular in Thailand are Toyota, Honda and Isuzu. So if you look at resale value, maintenance costs and so on, those most popular brands are probably best.

@fish fingers: I agree with you, I like BMW cars as well, actually also Audis and Porsches. But what I wanted to say is that the Thai governement tax on imported cars is just crazy and doesn't make it worthwile to buy an imported car when you talk about value for money. The BM 1 series car you mention probably costs you in the UK about THB 900k. So you pay 800k in tax to the Thai government just so you can drive an imported car. Not worth it in my opinion.

Agree, the duty is nuts but its part of car ownership here.

Two others I'm considering

V40 T5 for around 1.8M and the latest gen Golf GTI, which I imagine will be around 2.4M

The Volvo looks a good deal due to the T5 spec; around 30k in UK so the thai price is kind of easier to swallow

Edited by fish fingers

Agree, the duty is nuts but its part of car ownership here.

Two others I'm considering

V40 T5 for around 1.8M and the latest gen Golf GTI, which I imagine will be around 2.4M

The Volvo looks a good deal due to the T5 spec; around 30k in UK so the thai price is kind of easier to swallow

With get up and go + supercharger + Turbo + 7 speed Auto + Dual SRS + 2 side airbags + side curtain airbags, much cheaper by almost 1 million baht than a Golf GTi, OK Polo size but the Skoda RS is sold here at 1.5 million..

agree, the Volvo is starting to make the most sense (unless I just go for the CRV option). I can buy a Race Chip in the UK for few hundred quid and bingo, 270 HP, sub 6 second 0-100kph. I see there's a Heico supplier in Thailand too (Wheels and other accessories)

agree, the Volvo is starting to make the most sense (unless I just go for the CRV option). I can buy a Race Chip in the UK for few hundred quid and bingo, 270 HP, sub 6 second 0-100kph. I see there's a Heico supplier in Thailand too (Wheels and other accessories)

You mean like this?

post-147411-14084347306193_thumb.jpg

I AM A RETIRED AMERICAN, 80, LIVED HERE 10 YEARS, HAD 77 CARS PREVIOUSLY - FROM $ 8,000 - $50,000. BEST 2 OF ALL WERE THE 8M MDELS -- KIA AND HYUNDAI BECAUSE ;

UNLIKE MY GERMAN 40-50 GRAND AUTOS, I NEVER HAD TO RETURN TO THE DEALERS FOR ANYTHING

THEY GOT ME FROM POINT A TO POINT B, SOMETIMES CROSS COUNTRY SLOWLY BUT TROUBLE FREE, & EFFORTLESSLY

BOTH HAVE BETTER MOTOR TRAIN WARRANTEES THAN EVEN ROLLS ROYCE

I DIDN'T HAVE TO PAMPER EITHER, SEEK PROTECTED PARKING, DRINK GERMAN WINE,( KA KA ), OR GET A TALL TELMUDIC BLONDE TO BEAT ME NIGHTLY

I BECAME FREE OF STATUS SEEKING AND NO LONGER GAVE A FLYING INTERCOURSE, ( EXPLETIVE DELETED ), WHAT MY NEIGHBORS THOUGHT.

NEVER HAD ANOTHER CAR PAYMENT AND INSURANCE WAS DIRT CHEAP..

KIA NEEDED NEW BRAKE LININGS AT 80,000 MILES SO I GAVE IT TO MY HATED, FAST DRIVING STEP DAUGHTER.

• Like 1

don't buy imported cars when you talk about value for money. Outrageously expensive, whether it is Benz, BM, Lexus, Volvo, Porsche etc....

People living in the EU have reportedly stopped eating Thai food at their local Thai restaurants because they know it is so expensive compared to the cost of Thai food in Thailand and feel they are not getting value for money. Go figure the logic

I like your comparison 555. Look don't get me wrong, nothing against you guys buying imported cars and supporting the Thai government with a lot of tax contribution:)

• Like 1

You mean like this?

Lovely, the colour is right, but the wheels don't look like the proper R spec ones (?)

I know people will say its just a Focus in drag, double the price etc but its s v different car with that engine, interior etc

You mean like this?

Lovely, the colour is right, but the wheels don't look like the proper R spec ones (?)

I know people will say its just a Focus in drag, double the price etc but its s v different car with that engine, interior etc

Heico 5 spoke titan 19"s.

http://www.heicosportiv.de/nextshopcms/cmszoom.asp?id=3991 '> http://www.heicosportiv.de/nextshopcms/cmszoom.asp?id=3991

Edited by hansgruber

Caps locks. It's considered shouting via keyboard but you get a pass for being 80.

SORRY but you're right - at about 77 I couldn't see nor hear very well and figured there were more like me out there I will use mini print

in the future.

• Like 2

The NCAP gives the 2013 Volvo V40 hatch a 5 Star rating, the 2013 CRV a 3 star rating.

The best value for the money is the nissan almera. at a little over 600K you can get a loaded version with almost everything. I live in Pattaya and the dealer here wasn't giving away anything, so I e-mailed several dealers telling them what I wanted. Two in BKK responded that they could deal. A great car... Unfortunately the ex got it when I kicked her out. I have another one now and I think they are great cars.

Mazda 3.

Owning one I have to agree. saying that I also thought the Ranger was a good thing when I first got it but what a piece of shit that turned out to be.

That's only cos you broke it!!!!!

It broke whilst being used well within the specified capabilities of the vehicle. Ford telling me to <deleted> off is when it all really turned to shit.

• Like 1