Using LINE of a Laptop PC

I think other person needs to register his email at LINE app on the smartphone before using it on LINE desktop. If he has no smartphone and still wants to use LINE on desktop, maybe try this?

http://www.lineforpc.com/line-pc-without-smartphone.html

Disclaimer: didn't try it myself and if it's against forum rules to post link, sorry.

• Like 2

Wikipedia description: LINE (application)

LINE is great for sending free sms-like text, pictures, video messages, and video conferencing. Very easy to use and it's very popular all around Asia (company based in Japan/South Korea).

It's primarily used on Smartphones, but once an account is created and authenticated you can use the LINE PC application.

• Like 1

Line does not offer the capability to see if your Contacts are 'on line' or not.

Skype does and therefor far more useful.

Many people's mobiles are "always online" and show online in skype, but the person is not paying attention. Much easier to give them a quick ring and see if it rings out or fails.

Line shows when a message is read, requiring the recipient to actually open the message. That is a much more useful feature

I'm a hopeless typist at the best of times, but on the phone, absolutely hopeless. Line on the laptop is fantastic. Less mistakes & great for sending photos & stuff.

Three cheers for Line for us oldies :-)

Cheers from me to you all.

Mal.

• Like 1

I'm a hopeless typist at the best of times, but on the phone, absolutely hopeless. Line on the laptop is fantastic. Less mistakes & great for sending photos & stuff.

Mal.

You can run Skype on the laptop as well -- if you like. ;)

My only gripe was that LINE only runs in MSWindows, so I had to make a little virtual XP system to accommodate it on my linux laptop ;) Skype has native Linux "apps" ;)

I like LINE a lot... use it all the time... But for extended video chats IMO Skype is much better... On my PC with Skype I get a near full screen... I haven't been able to do that with LINE...

Had some problems with people finding me on Line.

If you need an alternative, I use Viber which is excellent.

Set up on smartphone, then download to desktop.

Call friends/family back in Australia very often, and also

good for calling girlfriend/friends staying in hotels in other

countries. Even got my very un-tech mother onto viber now.

You needed to set your account to be searchable by your ID. By default it is not and only people in your phonebook can add you.

I've heard mixed reports about viber, but the main thing is what all your "friends" are using. There's so many messaging/calling/video apps now! People hate to change from the one they have and play on - like facebook - so I've ended up with about a dozen such things.

Did look at it but you MUST have a Smart phone it would appear...... I have not and have no need for one, with Line you can use on laptop and PC no problem..

You can use LINE on a laptop and ONE mobile device at the same time. Every female I know in Thailand has LINE, 'nuff said.

LAPTOP: you MUST do email registration.

Do NOT change your mobile device ( phone or tablet ). LINE also has started another new round of security

Usually I am on the sofa or bed with LINE activated on BOTH Laptop - at my desk ( WiFi connected ), and mobile - laying next to me ( WiFi connected ). I will receive the alert on BOTH, I look at my mobile to see if I want to answer the person, if so, usually on my laptop for ease of use..

• Like 1

You needed to set your account to be searchable by your ID. By default it is not and only people in your phonebook can add you.

I've heard mixed reports about viber, but the main thing is what all your "friends" are using. There's so many messaging/calling/video apps now! People hate to change from the one they have and play on - like facebook - so I've ended up with about a dozen such things.

Thanks for that tip about Line. Checked my Line and yes the default setup is not really what I wanted.

Just gained a heap of new contacts on Line

Something to watch out for. All the Australian mobile numbers not entered with country code into my contact list have come up

with random Thai people. That is interesting, especially since I have just added to my mobile contacts since about 1996 and have never

deleted a phone number.

Most my friends in Aus are stuck on using FB messenger which I prefer not to use.

I try and limit my chat apps to Messenger, Line, Viber seems to cover most the people I know.

Thanks for that tip about Line. Checked my Line and yes the default setup is not really what I wanted.

Just gained a heap of new contacts on Line

Something to watch out for. All the Australian mobile numbers not entered with country code into my contact list have come up

with random Thai people. That is interesting, especially since I have just added to my mobile contacts since about 1996 and have never

deleted a phone number.

Most my friends in Aus are stuck on using FB messenger which I prefer not to use.

I try and limit my chat apps to Messenger, Line, Viber seems to cover most the people I know.

Yes, I have a similarly old contact list carried forward from numerous prior devices, but my current smartphone was smart enough to add the correct country code to all the entries that didn't have one, so I didn't get that problem. wink.png

... and I agree -- FB is to be avoided at all costs !! w00t.gif

Edited by jpinx

Wallich, on 19 Aug 2014 - 11:27, said:

Line does not offer the capability to see if your Contacts are 'on line' or not.

Skype does and therefor far more useful.

Skype is much better, available on PC's and mobiles worldwide, and don't have to put up with all those stupid emoticons. And unlike line, if you change your mobile number, you simply edit your account, with line you need to create a new account and then add all your contacts again.

waoscar, on 19 Aug 2014 - 12:23, said:

I also like viber, but have 3 issues 1) no mobile to mobile video 2) no PC to mobile video and 3) you must have a mobile number to setup your account, this means no privacy whereas with Skype, you simply setup a Skype account, with a Skype name, all other details can be hidden, this means your private details are safe and can not be handed out to anyone.

• Like 1

You can use Line on a PC, however, if you once you log in on the PC , then existing conversations on your smartphone may be deleted, and I believe, if you then log back in on the Smartphone, the conversation will disappear from the PC. If your not bothered about keeping earlier messages etc, then that is not a problem.

LINE is superior to almost anything for sending photos. I favor Skype for video chats but Skype is a loser when it comes to sending photos... I used LINE routinely for quick transfers of photos between my phone and PC.

You can use Line on a PC, however, if you once you log in on the PC , then existing conversations on your smartphone may be deleted, and I believe, if you then log back in on the Smartphone, the conversation will disappear from the PC. If your not bothered about keeping earlier messages etc, then that is not a problem.

This doesn't happen at all on my Android phone and PC LINE installs which of course are the same accounts. You must have a setting wrong or something.

This doesn't happen at all on my Android phone and PC LINE installs which of course are the same accounts. You must have a setting wrong or something.

ALSO, doesn't happen at all on my Android phone

ALSO, doesn't happen at all on my Android phone

Me neither - between 2 android devices and several laptops -- one account and all messages show everywhere. You might need to set the PASSCODE LOCK - in > settings > Privacy

How much did Facebook pay for Whatsapp lol, they backed the wrong horse

I have a German friend and I got him to try LINE to help him on a border run... communicate back and forth... He said WOW! LINE is a lot better than Whatsapp...

I don't understand why should people ask everything on this forum. It is easy man, if you want to know if it is possible to use Line on laptop or not, just try it out and see if it work. As simple as that. Or may be you want us to do the dirty work for you, ha ha ha 5555

Mal.

When using the phone, click the mic icon and just talk. use script to correct if needed...fast

Facebook is far superior for photos, and for organizing everything. For me, Line is much more like a conversation that is gone as soon as you speak.