Honest Pattaya Baht Bus Driver reunites missing valuables with Burmese owner

webfact

Honest Pattaya Baht Bus Driver reunites missing valuables with Burmese owner

taxi-11.jpg

PATTAYA: -- On Monday afternoon, a Pattaya Baht Bus Driver was made aware of a bag containing gold, money and other valuable items, which had been left on a seat on the Bus and thanks to the Baht Bus Cooperative, the valuables were later re-united with their Burmese owner.

Khun Golapat aged 48 had dropped off a Burmese woman and her friend in front of Soi 33 on the Naklua Road and were alerted by a foreign passenger that she had left a bag on the Bus.

He decided to report the find to Khun Tawat, Manager of the Pattaya Baht Bus Cooperative, who was able to track down the owner of the items, a Burmese worker, who later came to collect them.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/140217/honest-pattaya-baht-bus-driver-reunites-missing-valuables-with-burmese-owner/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-08-19

i don't know what it says about a society when every time someone does something honest it becomes national news sad.png

Probably it rather says something about human nature: people are fascinated how careless others can be with their valuables, and how honest still others can be in not taking advantage of it. In the journo biz this is the classic little feel-good story and, like kittens on the internet, there's always an appetite for those.

As far as Thailand goes, if you're going to forget your valuables, better to do it here than most places in SE Asia. In fact maybe better than most places worldwide. But trying it on a Pattaya songthaeo is really pushing your luck.

• Like 1

i don't know what it says about a society when every time someone does something honest it becomes national news sad.png

I think you will find this is just local news from Pattaya smile.png

• Like 1

It says that society likes to hear about the positivity of these occasions rather than the negativity promulgated by you.

• Like 1

...just curious....any question of their origin....???

They were from Burma, as the report stated. But presumably you are referring to the returned item's origins, why would that be of any importance? What are the origins of all of your personal possessions?

At long last something positive and uplifting, very very kind of the Bus Driver to be so honest. And hand it in, so top marks for,him.

As we all know there is a lot of dishonest people out there, so reading something like this is GREAT.......

Hats off to you...

Just wondering why a Burmese person would have a bag containing "gold" and "money" and "valuables" and not bother to remember to take with them off the baht bus. This is not normal.

Equally, it's not normal for a baht bus driver to report a lost bag of goodies.

Any more than a random passenger spotting the bag in the first place, though not mentioning it to the Burmese before they jumped off the baht bus.

This story is not credible.

• Like 2

Just wondering why a Burmese person would have a bag containing "gold" and "money" and "valuables" and not bother to remember to take with them off the baht bus. This is not normal.

Any more than a random passenger spotting the bag in the first place, though not mentioning it to the Burmese before they jumped off the baht bus.

Good questions. If you hadn't asked them, I would have. Now, we wait for some answers. And go shopping or whatever while waiting. Not much point in holding our breath, is there?

Why didnt he hand the bag over to the police ?

That is the normal procedure, in recent months there are been several news reports of taxi drivers doing this and the police reuniting the owners with their property.

Whatever the reason it shows the Baht Bus Cooperative in a very positive light, perhaps that's the entire point of this story and especially so during a time when "crackdowns" on all types of things are happening.

I just find the story rather strange, particularly as it was a woman who is supposed to have left the bag but she is not in the photo.

The normal thing is to have a photo of the person who lost their property smiling happily with the person who found it and the official who helped out.

Maybe I'm just a bit suspicious, also the other issues that BM "Pattaya28" raises merely increase this feeling that all is not as it seems.

The owner of the items, Miss Oo aged 19, was extremely grateful to the Baht Bus Driver and the Baht Bus Cooperative and admired their honesty and professionalism. - See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/140217/honest-pattaya-baht-bus-driver-reunites-missing-valuables-with-burmese-owner/#sthash.qcE1Ubsh.dpuf

Looking at the cash in the photo on the "media" web site I would say there was over 30K baht plus gold for the 19 year old owner. She is very lucky to see it all again

And one more question.

If a passenger handed the bag of goodies to the baht bus driver, how come he is pointing at the spot where the bag was left ? How would he no the exact location ? I doubt very much the passenger indicated the position of the bag.

Me thinks it is another PR stunt of the tourism office. Remember the Thai government has been strongly criticized for their action towards repatriation of Burmese workers. So here's showing the world how there is one honest bus driver there and at the same time how kindly a Burmese has been treated..

Edited by aries27

i don't know what it says about a society when every time someone does something honest it becomes national news :(

Not unusual at all. Back in the USA it happens too, as well as other places.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/kolkata/Taxi-driver-returns-money/articleshow/39836578.cms

One's prejudice often fades when the eyes of are focused on the good.

Edited by Benmart

If one has his hands full with the right hand around the waist of a Thai beauty and the other in the left trouser-pockets taking care of the valuables.......there is no hand left to keep the real valuables safe.