work permit

Hi all,

I think I might have stumbled on a case where work permit is not required/enforced. I am a Canadian citizen and have a one year researcher visa. I work at an international university here in Bangkok. There are several other international researchers working at the same university. None of us has a work permit and we were told explicitly by the uni that we do not need one. The rationale, whether it makes sense or not, was that we are only contract researchers and as such we do not get the conventional pay stub. This has been going on for decades. Has anyone ever heard of this before?

That is correct. A work permit is not even called out in the clause for the extension of stay in the police order.

If I recall correctly it is even mentioned in the regulation for work permits that they are not required.

• Like 1

Yes, it is a paid job, even us wealthy and famous researchers need to be paid once in a while. wink.png

Indeed the lack of permit is not even called by the officers. I suppose my concern is when the time comes to get a one year visa for my spouse whether said lack will be called then...

Edited by ciliate
  • Like 1

If push came to shove, the University Legal Department would probably reference the Alien Working Act Section 4 which details exemptions to work permit requirements including at (6) for education purposes depending upon the Charter Status of the University.

Edited by JLCrab

I am researching parasitic diseases of animals that are economically important in Thailand i.e. shrimp, clams, crabs etc. Some of the parasites are newly emerging and as a first step, I am trying to identify them using a variety of methods. Does that make sense?

AHA! JLCrab, that is very useful indeed...

And thank you Tookwan, it has been fantastic so far, great place :)

Really

Interesting

I do job for u

Here u go FUKUSHIMA...

Yes, it is a paid job, even us wealthy and famous researchers need to be paid once in a while. wink.png

Indeed the lack of permit is not even called by the officers. I suppose my concern is when the time comes to get a one year visa for my spouse whether said lack will be called then...

Yes, she can get a visa and extension as your dependent under clause 2.20 upon show of your extension and proof that you two are married.

You yourself do not require a work permit, it is also not mentioned in the required documentation for an extension of stay for you.