Gen Prayuth nominated for 'Ice Bucket Challenge'

webfact

If he challenged him on the 18th, it should have happened by now, no?

Army eh .. fill in application cgq4325886 5 times , gt557 , need stamps from 7 different departments ,, then wait for aproval
  • Like 2

The world and its population gets dumbed down as more and more every day. what a bunch of idiots.

I think your posts suggests more about how dumbed down you are. The concept might seem stupid, but raising awareness of this truly terrible disease and also raising money is actually a great thing.

Maybe we could do a Thai Visa Ice Bucket Challenge :-)

I would be in that for a local Thai Visa nominated cause. Not sure how much I could raise - probably a few hundred Bht. around the family and a few friends.

• Like 1

Happens every April in Thailand nothing new here. Been caught a few times and hit with a bucket of ice cold water.

Neil Daniher has it. Saw it on AFL360 last night. Daniher is a mess. sad to see. (Posted this cos you're an AFL man like myself.)

• Like 1

What will be next? The "pneumatic-drill-challenge", churning up a sqm of concrete sidewalk to raise awareness of Parkinson´s disease, a "tap-dance-challenge", doing an Astaire on a busy intersection to raise awareness of the Restless-Leg-Syndrome?

Why not raise awareness that the US still lacks a decent affordable national healthcare system and people have to depend on donations through dumb publicity stunts?

What will be next? The "pneumatic-drill-challenge", churning up a sqm of concrete sidewalk to raise awareness of Parkinson´s disease, a "tap-dance-challenge", doing an Astaire on a busy intersection to raise awareness of the Restless-Leg-Syndrome?

Why not raise awareness that the US still lacks a decent affordable national healthcare system and people have to depend on donations through dumb publicity stunt

As a US citizen, I would be the first to acknowledge the gross failures of the US healthcare system. The US has probably the world's best healthcare technology, and, at the same time, the world's worst healthcare delivery system. We are the only industrialized nation in the world without universal healthcare.

That said, I find it interesting that you would feel the need to put your ignorance on such prominent display. The ice bucket challenge is not about raising funds for individual healthcare, but for continued research into a cure for ALS. If you had been personally affected by ALS, as I have (my sister's husband, and good friend of mine, has ALS), you might not be so quick with your "wit". If you had taken the time to think (no doubt an alien concept for you) before posting, you would have perhaps remembered that every single dread disease in existence, from cancer, to AIDS, has a foundation that seeks to raise awareness, and funding for research, through private donations. The ALS Association is raising funds for ALS research (alsa.org). Individuals from Robert Downey, to George W. Bush and Bill Gates have thought it significant enough to have cold water dumped on them in support. But then they, unlike you, are thinkers. Try it sometime (thinking, that is)...you might like it.

• Like 1

Why not raise awareness that the US still lacks a decent affordable national healthcare system and people have to depend on donations through dumb publicity stunts

As a US citizen, I would be the first to acknowledge the gross failures of the US healthcare system. The US has probably the world's best healthcare technology, and, at the same time, the world's worst healthcare delivery system. We are the only industrialized nation in the world without universal healthcare.

That said, I find it interesting that you would feel the need to put your ignorance on such prominent display. The ice bucket challenge is not about raising funds for individual healthcare, but for continued research into a cure for ALS. If you had been personally affected by ALS, as I have (my sister's husband, and good friend of mine, has ALS), you might not be so quick with your "wit". If you had taken the time to think (no doubt an alien concept for you) before posting, you would have perhaps remembered that every single dread disease in existence, from cancer, to AIDS, has a foundation that seeks to raise awareness, and funding for research, through private donations. The ALS Association is raising funds for ALS research (alsa.org). Individuals from Robert Downey, to George W. Bush and Bill Gates have thought it significant enough to have cold water dumped on them in support. But then they, unlike you, are thinkers. Try it sometime (thinking, that is)...you might like it.

Dear Traveller,

thanks for making my point, albeit unintentionally. Today´s medical research depends on funding through long term commitment and reliability. The US have been wasting trillions of dollars in wars across the globe, from Afghanistan to Iraq, from Yemen and Libya to Syria - and now back to Iraq, and the funding of medical research for ALS depends on some dude pouring a bucket of cold water over his head and posting it on the internet. How long will be the shelf life of this stunt before some other "idea" pushes it off the radar and the social media? And where does the money come from after that? The internet is full of long forgotten "raise-awareness-campaigns" which only became necessary because funding of medical research in the US is woefully inadequate. If ALS was an "Autonomous Laser-guided Smart bomb" the funding would be no problem.

If you really think that this is the way to promote medical research then our opinions what considers "thinking" are slightly different.

"challenging US Ambassador to Thailand, Kristie Kenney, to join the campaign."

Saved by the bell!

I just read that the American Ministry of Foreign Affairs has prohibited Ambassadors and other high-ranking officials to participate. It would seem it might damage their reputation rolleyes.gif

Edited by rubl

• 2 weeks later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why not raise awareness that the US still lacks a decent affordable national healthcare system and people have to depend on donations through dumb publicity stunts

Dear Traveller,

thanks for making my point, albeit unintentionally. Today´s medical research depends on funding through long term commitment and reliability. The US have been wasting trillions of dollars in wars across the globe, from Afghanistan to Iraq, from Yemen and Libya to Syria - and now back to Iraq, and the funding of medical research for ALS depends on some dude pouring a bucket of cold water over his head and posting it on the internet. How long will be the shelf life of this stunt before some other "idea" pushes it off the radar and the social media? And where does the money come from after that? The internet is full of long forgotten "raise-awareness-campaigns" which only became necessary because funding of medical research in the US is woefully inadequate. If ALS was an "Autonomous Laser-guided Smart bomb" the funding would be no problem.

If you really think that this is the way to promote medical research then our opinions what considers "thinking" are slightly different.

Well, Hi there again, Mike. I would be quick to state that you and I agree on one thing, and that would be the profound lack of appropriateness in the priorities of the US budget. I also agree with your assertion that the US has squandered unimaginable amounts of money in manufactured wars around the world. However, I would point out that not all American citizens agree with the policies and priorities of our government. But that is a weak point of a democratic republic...we can only elect our representatives. We have little control over what the idiots do once in office, other than to send them home at the next election. I would also agree that our government should take a much larger role in the funding of medical research into dread diseases. However, even if 100% of the US budget were dedicated to medical research (which, I think you would agree, would be a ridiculous postulate), it would still be inadequate to the need. Hence the need for private funding. The problem of funding is compounded by a shortfall in the public's awareness of many of these diseases. Tell me, are you familiar with myesthenia gravis, a disease which affects the victim's ability to swallow? Did you know that there is a foundation that raises money for research and public awareness about this disease? There are so many diseases, and so little funding, that something has to be done. No, dumping ice water on one's head isn't going to provide a cure. But what it does is to raise public awareness, and help researchers further their work. In a world that is profoundly overrun by inane "reality" shows, morbid news from every corner, a global population that seems hell bent on becoming more and more stupid with every passing day, and determined to destroy themselves through their own ignorance, it is, to me at least, refreshing that a few people are willing to engage in a silly activity that has the potential to bring a cure for a disease that affects tens of thousands just a little bit closer. And it saddens me that someone like yourself feels it necessary to excoriate those who choose to help others by this means.

Edited by Traveler19491
  • Like 1

Think I read that less than 6000 people worldwide die from ALS every year, whereas 3.5 million die from not having sanitary water to drink. Can anybody here see the irony? Screw the ice-bucket nonsense, people like Putin (if he indeed does do it!) do this sort of stuff to endear them to themselves, and their disciples. Other people who do these types of things obviously don't know what the real world issues are. </RANT>

Only 27% goes on research the rest are salaries and travel expenses..

False. This figure is from an anonymous blog post that incorrectly quotes the figures published by ALSA.org. Only 21% of funds received go to salaries, administrative costs, and fundraising. The remaining 79% goes to research, patient and community services, and public and professional education. You can see the fact checked article here:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2014/sep/02/blog-posting/bloggers-incorrectly-blast-als-ice-bucket-challeng/

The world and its population gets dumbed down as more and more every day. what a bunch of idiots.

I think your posts suggests more about how dumbed down you are. The concept might seem stupid, but raising awareness of this truly terrible disease and also raising money is actually a great thing.

Maybe we could do a Thai Visa Ice Bucket Challenge :-)

No a great thing would be if the public demands that some money for military would be shifted over to cure such diseases.

Having fun on important people get wet with ice cold water is plain stupid.

On many of these charities a big part of the money goes for salaries and travel expenses. Green Peace was often criticized that the manager pay themself huge salaries. Often the original founder get ousted and some rats make good money.....

False. This figure is from an anonymous blog post that incorrectly quotes the figures published by ALSA.org. Only 21% of funds received go to salaries, administrative costs, and fundraising. The remaining 79% goes to research, patient and community services, and public and professional education. You can see the fact checked article here:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2014/sep/02/blog-posting/bloggers-incorrectly-blast-als-ice-bucket-challeng/

I dont know, but its fishy..

http://www.infowars.com/ice-bucket-challenge-als-foundation-admits-less-than-27-of-donations-fund-research-cures/

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I dont know, but its fishy..

http://www.infowars.com/ice-bucket-challenge-als-foundation-admits-less-than-27-of-donations-fund-research-cures/

Sorry, but I can't give any credence to Alex Jones, Infowars, or any other conspiracy theorizing cretins. In fact, in the Infowars article they show the ALSA pie chart, which clearly shows where all of the money goes. Additionally, the author claims that the salaries of the executives are excessive. However, every watchdog organization that has scrutinized ALSA has indicated that these salaries are in keeping with similarly sized charitable organizations, and not excessive. Infowars is, once again, screaming "FIRE" where there's not even any smoke.