Recieved my ED Visa

I'm not knocking you Mataleo, but it seems a little strange that a farang would come to Thailand to study English. I can understand anything to do with Thai culture being accepted for an ED, (Cooking, Thai boxing etc) But I'm surprised they allowed English. Surly English would be studying in native speaking countries.

That is said in all and every thread about ED visa, usually within the first page. So you are on track. But you're also wrong. There is a lot of people in Thailand for which learning English is more urgent than Thai, OP is one.

Thanks for the report. How many hours will you be required per week?

I am curious how many hours are required for the new student visa

I am about to complete my first year at a school and also taking private lessons and trying to encourage my friends to speak and write to me in Thai.

Learning at a school encourages me to practice with friends.

An increase in the number of hours without an actual attendance required would just mean more money for the school without needing to increase the teaching staff.

Do you feel your school has a real attendance or just make it up wihen you go to immigration to extend your visa

.Currently my school at Asoke marks everyone with perfect attendance even though maybe only 25% of students ever come to class

The students joke if even half the students with visas attended school then we would have to stand in the classroom.

• Like 1

I am about to complete my first year at a school and also taking private lessons and trying to encourage my friends to speak and write to me in Thai.

An increase in the number of hours without an actual attendance required would just mean more money for the school without needing to increase the teaching staff.

Do you feel your school has a real attendance or just make it up wihen you go to immigration to extend your visa

.Currently my school at Asoke marks everyone with perfect attendance even though maybe only 25% of students ever come to class

The students joke if even half the students with visas attended school then we would have to stand in the classroom.

I do not know if or how my school records attendance and it does not matter for me personally because I will be attending. I think it is fairly common though that most schools do what your is doing. Language school are businesses and want to keep their customers happy. If you get kicked out of the country, you cannot sign up for a second year of courses with them.

I am not aware of needing attendance records when getting an extension. Maybe someone who knows for sure can answer that.

I do not know if or how my school records attendance and it does not matter for me personally because I will be attending. I think it is fairly common though that most schools do what your is doing. Language school are businesses and want to keep their customers happy. If you get kicked out of the country, you cannot sign up for a second year of courses with them.

I am not aware of needing attendance records when getting an extension. Maybe someone who knows for sure can answer that.

I am following the rules and attending classes I plan to live in Thailand and I want to learn the language

I think many of the changes in rules about Educational Visa is because many people see a educational Visa as an easy way to say in the country (but not study Thai).

If students were required to have a 70% attendance rate to renew the next 3 months then I feel many people would not see the Educational Visa as an easy Visa for staying in Thailand

Increasing the number of hours without a true attendance requirement will only make schools money.

• Like 1

^^ my school from a year ago printed out forms to say its 80%+ required attendance

Sure - I think all student sign a form about needing to attend school.

But - does the school actually keep accurate attendance and refuse to give paperwork (maybe false attendance) to allow students to extend student Visa.

I think schools would currently loose many students if they required 80% attendance to give renewal paperwork for Educational Visa

^^ my school from a year ago printed out forms to say its 80%+ required attendance

Sure - I think all student sign a form about needing to attend school.

But - does the school actually keep accurate attendance and refuse to give paperwork (maybe false attendance) to allow students to extend student Visa.

I think schools would currently loose many students if they required 80% attendance to give renewal paperwork for Educational Visa

Well, there ought to be some firm rules in place, so people dont keep abusing the system, and leaving those of us doing it right at a disadvantage.

I welcome this crackdown, even if it foiled my plans for a 3rd tv, but it is fair enough, as tourist dont usually stay in the same country for years on back to back tv's.

OP, there has been no official changes to the Non-Immigrant ED visas. However, the changes that will commence on the 29th this month, apply to those who seak a temporary extension of stay at the Immigration Bureau based on studies in a 'non-formal' school.

Visas are handled by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs while permission of stays are under Immigration rules. The two government bodies are under different legislations.

Thats why its rumor.

Hours didnt changed.

As many small schools dont have facilities to accomodate students.

Thats what i was told by owner one of biggest schools.

my friend told me yesterday that the school had been signing him in for all the lessons he missed - ha ha.

How did they sign him him?

Sign a sheet saying 80% attendance is required - but signing-in for missed classes. (only in Thailand)

Maybe nothing has changed - but schools will get students paying for more classes

My school in the past just gave a form showing perfect attendance to show to immigration but never took real attendance.

Now we started to write on a fresh piece of paper our names when we attend class - but not sure what they will do with that piece of paper.

Still no official attendance - but I think they school does not know who is attending which classes.

OP, there has been no official changes to the Non-Immigrant ED visas. However, the changes that will commence on the 29th this month, apply to those who seak a temporary extension of stay at the Immigration Bureau based on studies in a 'non-formal' school.

Visas are handled by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs while permission of stays are under Immigration rules. The two government bodies are under different legislations.

Ok. Then the new rules are going into effect at the end of the month. I am fully aware that the MOFA and Immigration are separate, but I am not quite sure what that has to do with what we are talking about. The MOFA is still issuing the Visa, but I thought it was worth sharing that it seems to be the immigration officers that are adding a little extra scrutiny to it once it is in your passport.

It does not appear that receiving the Visa is going to become any more difficult. It does however seem that not being able to answer simple questions like how many consonants in the Thai alphabet might make your Visa worthless when trying to enter the country if you get a tough immigration officer (or when you go to extend).

I'm not knocking you Mataleo, but it seems a little strange that a farang would come to Thailand to study English. I can understand anything to do with Thai culture being accepted for an ED, (Cooking, Thai boxing etc) But I'm surprised they allowed English. Surly English would be studying in native speaking countries.

Why would it be a problem ? Language schools in Thailand offer not only Thai classes , but you can learn English , German, Japanese, Chinese and even Russian.

So when we have someone with an ED visa studying other languages I wonder how the immigration will test them ?

Lots of people study English in Thailand because like everything, it is cheaper here. I have met numerous Japanese and Korean students studying English here because it is very expensive in their home countries. Obviously studying English in an English speaking country would be ideal, but it is not possible for everyone. Therefore, if someone from a country with a high cost of living like Japan can study here for much cheaper, I don't see any issue with that. And I think it is worth noting apparently the government does not either as they are able to legally obtain ED visas just like those of us studying Thai. Is the system abused? Of course! But it is no different than foreigners abusing the ED visas who say they are studying Thai. Nothing is perfect.

• Like 2

Why would it be a problem ? Language schools in Thailand offer not only Thai classes , but you can learn English , German, Japanese, Chinese and even Russian.

So when we have someone with an ED visa studying other languages I wonder how the immigration will test them ?

You will find that is extremely difficult, more now than before, to obtain an ED visa for anything but Thai language. So, in first place it is a minuscule minority that we're talking about. If immigration wants to do their catch of the day sending back people on ED visa, they have plenty of full nets to do it anyway.

Edited by paz

They dont thats the thing.

I am glad to see some posters on here serious about learning to speak and read Thai.

I'm not on an Ed Visa but being tutored in Thai.

I'm making progress slowly in learning how to read the noodle writing.

When I see so many students reversing "d" and "b" or making "w" upside-down to make "m", I realize our script looks like noodle writing to them too.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That is said in all and every thread about ED visa, usually within the first page. So you are on track. But you're also wrong. There is a lot of people in Thailand for which learning English is more urgent than Thai, OP is one.

I've learnt French, German, Italian and Swedish in Australia. That isn't our native language but they still teach it. Such a ridiculous comment to say why don't you go to the native speaking country! Because it is very very expensive to live in English speaking countries in comparison. I'm sure there are many other reasons also as mentioned.

Lots of people study English in Thailand because like everything, it is cheaper here. I have met numerous Japanese and Korean students studying English here because it is very expensive in their home countries. Obviously studying English in an English speaking country would be ideal, but it is not possible for everyone. Therefore, if someone from a country with a high cost of living like Japan can study here for much cheaper, I don't see any issue with that. And I think it is worth noting apparently the government does not either as they are able to legally obtain ED visas just like those of us studying Thai. Is the system abused? Of course! But it is no different than foreigners abusing the ED visas who say they are studying Thai. Nothing is perfect.

Its pointles

As long school got licence for it u can study anything.

You will find that is extremely difficult, more now than before, to obtain an ED visa for anything but Thai language. So, in first place it is a minuscule minority that we're talking about. If immigration wants to do their catch of the day sending back people on ED visa, they have plenty of full nets to do it anyway.

No its not.

No its not.

It is not what ? Fine, you have enrolled in English school, now tell us how many schools have you found that are doing that? For how long will you be allowed to study English? Where are all other courses and schools?

They are a tiny minority, now even more than before.

"The language school I will be studying at also informed me that two of their students were recently refused re-entry. One of them was on a second year ED visa and could not even tell the immigration officer how many consonants are in the Thai alphabet. He was turned away and had to fly home. The second one was due to a similar reason. "

Wow, this is serious as I have to leave the country shortly . Do we know more about this ? What nationality ?

were they coming in on new visas or extensions ? did they have a history of overstay ? where these both at the

airport ?

All schools teach different methods so how do they decide what is correct, there must be different levels of

reading, writing, speaking, unless it's standardised how can they refuse entry ? under what grounds ?

And the guy who was sent back to his country, couldn't he come in on a 30 day ? It's all very confusing

No its not.

It is not what ? Fine, you have enrolled in English school, now tell us how many schools have you found that are doing that? For how long will you be allowed to study English? Where are all other courses and schools?

They are a tiny minority, now even more than before.

Not dificult to get it.

I guess in bigger cities.

Visa course and the rest not different to thai course.

Well less hours per year

Course for 3y

Not dificult to get it.

I guess in bigger cities.

Visa course and the rest not different to thai course.

Well less hours per year

Course for 3y

You guess, but you don't know for sure. In theory one could study "anything". In practice, one doesn't, especially now.

"The language school I will be studying at also informed me that two of their students were recently refused re-entry. One of them was on a second year ED visa and could not even tell the immigration officer how many consonants are in the Thai alphabet. He was turned away and had to fly home. The second one was due to a similar reason. "

Wow, this is serious as I have to leave the country shortly . Do we know more about this ? What nationality ?

were they coming in on new visas or extensions ? did they have a history of overstay ? where these both at the

airport ?

All schools teach different methods so how do they decide what is correct, there must be different levels of

reading, writing, speaking, unless it's standardised how can they refuse entry ? under what grounds ?

And the guy who was sent back to his country, couldn't he come in on a 30 day ? It's all very confusing

Thats the problem.

In rare cases they ask u how is nose if u know she ask ear if u know she ask eye until she finds words u dont know. Whole thing is made up. up to them so if they decide fail u its not very hard isnt it...

airport ?

I think you are missing the point. The guy was supposed to be studying Thai for 2 full years and did not even know how many consonants in the alphabet............ No excuse for that...... His fault.....

And for the record..... They can refuse entry to anyone.... That's what immigration officers do.... Same as in America.

Edited by inbangkok