Recieved my ED Visa

"The language school I will be studying at also informed me that two of their students were recently refused re-entry. One of them was on a second year ED visa and could not even tell the immigration officer how many consonants are in the Thai alphabet. He was turned away and had to fly home. The second one was due to a similar reason. "

Wow, this is serious as I have to leave the country shortly . Do we know more about this ? What nationality ?

were they coming in on new visas or extensions ? did they have a history of overstay ? where these both at the

airport ?

All schools teach different methods so how do they decide what is correct, there must be different levels of

reading, writing, speaking, unless it's standardised how can they refuse entry ? under what grounds ?

And the guy who was sent back to his country, couldn't he come in on a 30 day ? It's all very confusing

I think you are missing the point. The guy was supposed to be studying Thai for 2 full years and did not even know how many consonants in the alphabet............ No excuse for that...... His fault.....

I get the point what I don't get is the reasoning, he might have answered some questions correctly, or was he asked

only 1 question . He might have frozen due to nerves who knows. I am trying to find out if there was an additional reason why or was it just his lack of knowing how many consonants. We have some non English speaking students in my school who learn at a slower rate due to the fact that their English isn't great. Who decides what is acceptable ?

For the rest of us who have to travel it would be really helpful to know what is going on ...

"The language school I will be studying at also informed me that two of their students were recently refused re-entry. One of them was on a second year ED visa and could not even tell the immigration officer how many consonants are in the Thai alphabet. He was turned away and had to fly home. The second one was due to a similar reason. "

Wow, this is serious as I have to leave the country shortly . Do we know more about this ? What nationality ?

were they coming in on new visas or extensions ? did they have a history of overstay ? where these both at the

airport ?

All schools teach different methods so how do they decide what is correct, there must be different levels of

reading, writing, speaking, unless it's standardised how can they refuse entry ? under what grounds ?

And the guy who was sent back to his country, couldn't he come in on a 30 day ? It's all very confusing

I think you are missing the point. The guy was supposed to be studying Thai for 2 full years and did not even know how many consonants in the alphabet............ No excuse for that...... His fault.....
I get the point what I don't get is the reasoning, he might have answered some questions correctly, or was he asked

only 1 question . He might have frozen due to nerves who knows. I am trying to find out if there was an additional reason why or was it just his lack of knowing how many consonants. We have some non English speaking students in my school who learn at a slower rate due to the fact that their English isn't great. Who decides what is acceptable ?

For the rest of us who have to travel it would be really helpful to know what is going on ...

I wish I could be of more help. But this is all I can tell you. There is no standardized test and it is up to the immigration officer. I agree that it adds uncertainty to the situation and can make people nervous.... But there is not really anything we can do. Just make sure you can answer very, very basic questions if asked. My guess would be that the immigration officer simply felt that not knowing the number of consonants in the alphabet was completely unacceptable after 2 years of study....... I would have to agree with him on that.....

This guy most likely spoke no Thai and was doing something else here for 2 years.... That would be my guess at least.

Edited by inbangkok

airport ?

I wish I could be of more help. But this is all I can tell you. There is no standardized test and it is up to the immigration officer. I agree that it adds uncertainty to the situation and can make people nervous.... But there is not really anything we can do. Just make sure you can answer very, very basic questions if asked. My guess would be that the immigration officer simply felt that not knowing the number of consonants in the alphabet was completely unacceptable after 2 years of study....... I would have to agree with him on that.....
U can study chinese thats what u can do 55

airport ?

This guy most likely spoke no Thai and was doing something else here for 2 years.... That would be my guess at least.

Yeah I know what you mean, it would just be so unlucky to get sent back for getting a question you can't answer but as you say if he was doing something else which is what they are looking for then fair enough. I'll have my fingers

crossed when I return, I'm on my 3rd year but I do attend school. Thanks for sharing OP

airport ?

Yeah I know what you mean, it would just be so unlucky to get sent back for getting a question you can't answer but as you say if he was doing something else which is what they are looking for then fair enough. I'll have my fingers

crossed when I return, I'm on my 3rd year but I do attend school. Thanks for sharing OP

3rd year

Write ur name in thai

How is nose stomach ear eye finger mouth. U got 1min

At the beginig of October me and my gf will come to Thailand with our second VOA, take papers from school and go to Vientiane to apply for our first ED Visa in Thailand (we want to learn Thai language and Thai culture). Do we need to show a bank statement? If YES, what would be the amount of money? Should i worry about anything when waiting for ED Visa?

At the beginig of October me and my gf will come to Thailand with our second VOA, take papers from school and go to Vientiane to apply for our first ED Visa in Thailand (we want to learn Thai language and Thai culture). Do we need to show a bank statement? If YES, what would be the amount of money? Should i worry about anything when waiting for ED Visa?

You will have a visa exemption, not Visa on Arrival. There is no need to show a bank account.

• Like 1

You will have a visa exemption, not Visa on Arrival. There is no need to show a bank account.

Need show 10 000 bath with exemption

If you do your visa in Laos you don't need to show any bank statements, they do ask for it in Europe.

One thing I can't understand is why a lot of people on this forum seems so angry about those "abusing" visas. Do they steal your jobs? Do they cost you money? Are they so hurtful for Thai economy? Are they getting free healthcare and other benefits from the government?

I bet most people who are "abusing" are because there is no proper visa for their situation (like those who retired early or have some incomes that are enough to live a good life here).

Thanks for the report OP

First time when i came to Thailand (im from Romania/Europe), i got a 2 weeks visa on Suvarnabhumi Airport only by completing a piece of paper (which i got it in the airplane), adding a photo and showing our passports. On passport stamp it is written: Visa on Arrival.

But do i need to show proof of Thai address for my ED visa or only the papers i will get from school and passports?

Thank you for the info.

Edited by Dered

You will find that is extremely difficult, more now than before, to obtain an ED visa for anything but Thai language. So, in first place it is a minuscule minority that we're talking about. If immigration wants to do their catch of the day sending back people on ED visa, they have plenty of full nets to do it anyway.
No its not.

It is not what ? Fine, you have enrolled in English school, now tell us how many schools have you found that are doing that? For how long will you be allowed to study English? Where are all other courses and schools?

They are a tiny minority, now even more than before.

Why all this negativity ?

You don't know how many students studying English or other languages in Thailand. You are just speculating or guessing.

What we know is that the language schools that are certified offer language classes . and I have found at least 20 language schools in Bangkok and Pattaya offering other studies than Thai.

So dont think you know it all.

First time when i came to Thailand (im from Romania/Europe), i got a 2 weeks visa on Suvarnabhumi Airport only by completing a piece of paper (which i got it in the airplane), adding a photo and showing our passports. On passport stamp it is written: Visa on Arrival.

But do i need to show proof of Thai address for my ED visa or only the papers i will get from school and passports?

Thank you for the info.

Yes in school U have to

Electric bill will do

You don't know how many students studying English or other languages in Thailand. You are just speculating or guessing.

What we know is that the language schools that are certified offer language classes . and I have found at least 20 language schools in Bangkok and Pattaya offering other studies than Thai.

Great, then you can post a list to help others, because other members have reported that reliable, legit schools that are not for Thai language are hard to find.

Edited by paz

Great, then you can post a list to help others, because other members have reported that reliable, legit schools that are not for Thai language are hard to find.

http://www.tlslanguageschool.com/ed-visa
  • Like 1

Not dificult to get it.

I guess in bigger cities.

Visa course and the rest not different to thai course.

Well less hours per year

Course for 3y

You guess, but you don't know for sure. In theory one could study "anything". In practice, one doesn't, especially now.

People don't study other things in practice? My friend is a pHD student, another 2 are masters, and they study ecology. I know others who study energy. They all get 1 year ED visas.

You guess, but you don't know for sure. In theory one could study "anything". In practice, one doesn't, especially now.

People don't study other things in practice? My friend is a pHD student, another 2 are masters, and they study ecology. I know others who study energy. They all get 1 year ED visas.

The discussion is about non-formal schools, not university degree.

I am looking to further my Thai skills and get an ED visa for 1 year. From what I gather this seems like a fairly pain free process. I want a school along the MRT line and found this one http://www.prolanguage.co.th/courses/ed-visa-services/

Not all Thai consulates give a one-year non-Ed visa to learn Thai. Where do you plan to apply?

I am looking to further my Thai skills and get an ED visa for 1 year. From what I gather this seems like a fairly pain free process. I want a school along the MRT line and found this one http://www.prolanguage.co.th/courses/ed-visa-services/

Not all Thai consulates give a one-year non-Ed visa to learn Thai. Where do you plan to apply?

I plan to apply in Vientiane. I talked to the school and they said it can take 4 weeks to get the paperwork done!! Ouch. This is really important for people on a 1 month tourist. Apply immediately upon arrival! Plan ahead. I will go to the school today and work out the details. Keep you guys posted.

I think what sets you apart from those that have had problems is that this is your FIRST ED visa ...

What do you think it may have been like if you had been living in Thailand for the last 2 or 3 years in back to back visas / extensions for learning Thai?

My guess is that the Immigration officers reaction may not have been the same

• Like 1

I plan to apply in Vientiane. I talked to the school and they said it can take 4 weeks to get the paperwork done!! Ouch. This is really important for people on a 1 month tourist. Apply immediately upon arrival! Plan ahead. I will go to the school today and work out the details. Keep you guys posted.

When did your 30 day Visa exempt stamp begin? At the end of this month, you can extend for 30 days. It can indeed take 30 days for the paperwork, I was lucky and mine was complete in 2 weeks. Some people have reported it taking even longer than 30 days though.

Vientiane will give you only a single-entry non-ED visa, valid for travel to Thailand within one month from its issue date.

Vientiane will give you only a single-entry non-ED visa, valid for travel to Thailand within one month from its issue date.

That is not correct..... My ED visa I just got from Vientiane last week was marked with an "enter before" date 3 months out. Just like tourist visas.

Edited by inbangkok