Reasonable chance' of finding MH370 in new search: Australia PM

webfact

Reasonable chance' of finding MH370 in new search: Australia PM

SYDNEY - A new underwater hunt for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 had a "reasonable chance" of finding the plane, Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott said Wednesday, adding that searchers would not give up easily.

Flight MH370 vanished inexplicably en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, and there has been no sign since of the aircraft or the 239 people onboard.

It is believed to have crashed into the southern Indian Ocean far off the west coast of Australia, but a massive air and sea search failed to find any wreckage while an underwater probe gave no answers.

Experts have now used technical data to finalise the most likely resting place of the plane deep on the ocean seabed and are preparing for a more intense underwater search to find it.

"They are now going to search the entire probable impact zone which is, from memory, something like 60,000 square kilometres (23,000 square miles) of the ocean floor, off the coast of Western Australia," Abbott told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

"If the plane is down there -- and the best expert advice is that it did go into the water somewhere in this arc off the coast of Western Australia -- if the plane is down there, there is a reasonable chance that we’ll find it because we are using the best possible technology."

Abbott said authorities "did the best we could with the equipment available" in the first stage of the search in harsh and remote seas.

He said the next stage, the deep-water search for which Australia has engaged Dutch firm Fugro Survey, would start "in the next month or so" and could take up to a year.
AFP

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Reasonable-chance-of-finding-MH370-in-new-search-A-30241339.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-08-20

Tony Abbot reckons there is a "reasonable chance" of finding the plane I reckon there's a "reasonable chance " he wont be Prime Minister after the next election. I know which one I'll be putting my money on, and it's not finding the plane

• Like 2

If...and that's a huge If...MH370 is where "they" think it is then it could take

a very long time to locate anything related to the aircraft. That said...

what puzzles me still 5 1/2 months after MH370 went "missing" is why

was there no debris field ever located? That's has to be the strangest

item on the investigation list of strange events. I hope they find it so the

families of the victims can finally have closure...and find it ASAP.

The loss of life is horrible.

The 'mystery' is bullocks.

Australia wasting huge money instead of countries who should have been more interested is stupid.

Tony Abbott wouldn't put his money into this project.

Can I not believe the bull 'mystery' without being a 'conspiracy theory advocate'?

Well, I don't!

I do hope they find it. But why is Australia so occupied by it? Are the Malaysians paying for it? It must cost a fortune. If they find it, will they be able to work out what actually happened?

The Malaysians are picking up most of the tab, and I would imagine any shortfall is being compensated by a few quiet government contracts being awarded to Australia.

The FDR will tell them lots I would assume.

However, surely they don't need to find it to know that real time aircraft tracking is the most sensible way to prevent this fiasco happening again.

Have the Chinese Navy given up , don't think they were up to much. I saw a clip of them when searching for the black box and it was a fella in a dinghy wearing earphones dipping what looked like a Microphone Gaffa taped to a fishing rod into the sea

Any 'Reasonable Chance' of knowing what's in the MH17 Black Boxes?

Probably not much in the voice recorder as that loops and overwrites after a relatively short time.

A lot more from the FDR which lasts much longer (17-25 hours, assuming it stopped recorded when the power went off).