German bar owner murdered on Koh Samui island

webfact

Someone sitting on your bike, happened to me before, just smile at them, they move off, and you get on with your life

So that's what you will do if I sat on your bike?

What if the smile doesn't work? What's your next approach?

A good question.

Since he was with his Thai gf, there was no language barrier.

You would have to tackle the problem or get a taxi home.

Getting angry in Thailand is never the right approach though.

It should never have happened.

RIP

Being stupidly aggressive for people sitting on your bike is 1 things but being getting the death penalty issued by a gang of youths is a bit harsh

The cultural barrier is down and no longer protects the arrogant white man__he caused these young punks to lose face and paid the price. Yes, alcohol is great stuff for murder -- remember, it diminshes ihibitions. Best take heed.

Not having access to Thai news, I am not certain this was a race crime or hate crime. Are there other instances of Thais attacking Thais for the same reasons? The arrogant white man rules Thailand, his power has only increased and shows no sign of diminishing. It also could have been an arranged situation. You can't make assumptions about this situation really. The real test of whether this is a race crime and the weakening of the white man in Thailand--in general-- would be to compare the reaction of the Thai police, and the efforts made to investigate the crime, compared with efforts in same situations of Thai upon Thai crime/murder for the same situation. Thailand appears fully welcoming of all arrogant whites with complete submission, never fear for your hegemony.

Edited by me313

Sitting on other peoples bikes/cars is normal in TH.

to the westerner it's annoying

Classic cross cultural mis-communication

I wonder if the German was in say Colombia or Brazil would he be so confrontational?..........same outcome either way.

Someone sitting on your bike, happened to me before, just smile at them, they move off, and you get on with your life

While I agree, the circumstances are unknown....this may have been a very expensive motorbike, or a reoccurring problem. Smiling at teenagers drinking alcohol doesn't always have the same effect as smiling at people in a Tesco parking lot.

Edited by Lee4Life
  • Like 2

Some mentioned germans are quickly agressive, going mad asap and other BS

I`m german , stayed many times in thailand and i sit on other motorbikes before many times and i have no <deleted> problem others do on mine same.

They always went off my bike when they saw i want to drive off with it. It´s my bike, after all.

Not everyone same.

• Like 1

Senseless violence happens a lot back home.

When it happens here, it's Thais this and Thais that.

I just divide the world into a$$holes and non a$$holes.

All the "Land of_____ and Land of ______" jibes are just childish.

I can't believe the amount of people who've decided to live in Thailand long term,

and hate everything about the country and its people.

• Like 1

Some mentioned germans are quickly agressive, going mad asap and other BS

I`m german , stayed many times in thailand and i sit on other motorbikes before many times and i have no <deleted> problem others do on mine same.

They always went off my bike when they saw i want to drive off with it. It´s my bike, after all.

Not everyone same.

Don't feel bad. Some TV member can't help but generalize. If the guy had been American you have the same old song: Americans are obnoxious, loud, aggressive, going mad asap, etc. Regardless of his nationality, the guy over-reacted and got himself killed for his effort. Someone stealing your motorcycle might be something to get excited about, although that might get you killed too. But getting excited over someone sitting on your motorcycle is just unwise in the LOS.

Not the only case of murder in Samui recently. A British guy got killed a few weeks ago in front of a disco in Lamai by a group of Thai youths - for no obvious reason. And hostility in Samui towards foreigners is generally growing, envy in business matters, etc. Many examples I was told in recent weeks. Threats and unconcealed hostility. I perceive it it's no longer safe to go out anywhere near alcoholized Thais, paricularly at night.

How do others in this forum perceive the situation? What is it like in other parts of Thailand? Myself and a few friends, are we just paranoid?

Please share your impressions/feelings/thoughts. Thanks

A.S.E.A.N. is just around the corner, coming to Thailand. There's a new breed of S.E.Asian "farangs" beginning to infiltrate the Kingdom, and they've got lots of Singapore $$$$ to spend. The European farang party is experiencing its last days. Time to go home, boys. The honeymoon is over. Bye,bye wai2.gif

I can't believe the amount of people who've decided to live in Thailand long term,

Back in the home country, I can't really predict what's going to happen after a verbal argument with one person or even a group. It might end with a bunch of yelling, it might end in a one-on-one fight, or you might get mugged by a group, or the whole thing might deescalate

and you all end up going back to the bar for a beer with you new friend.

Here in Thailand a verbal argument with one Thai is going to get you beat to a pulp by him and his friends. This doesn't just happen to farangs. It happens Thai on Thai too. I've seen it happen. It's a fact of life. So you monitor yourself and act accordingly. And this is especially relevant to those of us who live in Thailand long-term.

• Like 1

Another apologist for the unacceptable behaviour of Thai youth (and their elders).

Why is it never the Thai's fault ?

Are you that desperate to live in or just like Thailand that you'll put up with a never ending shafting at the behest of thugs and lawless teens ?

Sad but the way things are these days, now it has mostly gone to sh*t.

I personally do not see this crime as uniquely Thai.

I was told he was stabbed around 4 in the morning, it's light out when the police are present in the PICTURE.! Just another time it takes the so called police 2 hours + to get to a murder scene.

Just saying, I've lived in Samui for many years and it takes the police ages to get to the scene, usually the blood is moped up by the time they get there!

Rip

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by SirBser

Back in the home country, I can't really predict what's going to happen after a verbal argument with one person or even a group. It might end with a bunch of yelling, it might end in a one-on-one fight, or you might get mugged by a group, or the whole thing might deescalate

and you all end up going back to the bar for a beer with you new friend.

Here in Thailand a verbal argument with one Thai is going to get you beat to a pulp by him and his friends. This doesn't just happen to farangs. It happens Thai on Thai too. I've seen it happen. It's a fact of life. So you monitor yourself and act accordingly. And this is especially relevant to those of us who live in Thailand long-term.

It's relevant worldwide. I've seen each step here you've ascribed to back home, including the de-escalation.

I don't agree that Thais are more inherently violent than Westerners, which seems to be what is insinuated on TV.

I've managed to walk away from any confrontation worldwide my entire life. I avoid any situation as much as possible.

I'm not getting killed over someone sitting on my bike.

The cultural barrier is down and no longer protects the arrogant white man__he caused these young punks to lose face and paid the price. Yes, alcohol is great stuff for murder -- remember, it diminshes ihibitions. Best take heed.

You're wrong -- the cultural barrier only protects Thais. He didn't cause them to lose face, they were looking for an easy target, that's all. Too many people here use the 'face' argument to explain everything. It's not a catch-all defense (or a defense period).

• Like 1

Also just to make this clear, Samui is one of the only places I've seen with so many teenagers screwed up on ice and yah bah. Yes everywhere in Thailand has drugs but samuis meth problem is horrible.

Sound club is open from 2 am to 6 am, chances are if you go there alone something could happen to you.!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by SirBser
  • Like 1

So police advise that yet another attack has occured in Soi green mango Surprise surprise.

For a tropical island that is set up for those in search of some fun and sun it sure is becoming a brutal place to visit. This is the second attack that police are currently working on from the Soi green mango . I have to wonder just how many more there are that go unreported

Soi nana in Bangkok has police stationed in it at all times of the night, at the top of the soi in the bars area. As does Soi cowboy. Although I am unaware how effective they have been, surely just the police presence alone is simply a deterrent or at best allows for an immediate response to any potential situation that arises. Perhaps Soi green mango can consider doing the same thing. It's a small yet volatile area . I imagine 2 police down there patrolling may do wonders!

My deepest sympathies for this mans family and the grief they must be going through at this time.

RIP to the German... No one should go out like this... First rule is to never confront a bunch of Thai men... The face thing will get you every time...

As far as Thailand in general, it's right on the tipping point...

National average IQ in Thailand

http://occidentalascent.wordpress.com/2012/06/22/thai-national-iq-98-race-realism-sucks-another-big-one/

IQ as the tipping point for society to flourish

http://staffanspersonalityblog.wordpress.com/2013/09/24/the-iq-breaking-point-how-civilized-society-is-maintained-or-lost/

• Like 1

OK, fine, I paid 500,000 plus for my motorcycle, so some one sits on it , scratches it, in the parking lot. OK fine I accept it . Some one sits on it and tries to impress a local lass by cranking the throttle, OK, I accept it. They all sit on my bike and take "selfies" , OK I accept it.

So when / where is my personal space / property being abused??

And don't give me I am in their country BS. I have been around the world a few times, every shit hole in the world working oil and gas. Never have I been as happy and as upset as I have been in Thailand. My next place of residence could quite as easily be Cambodia, Singapore, Laos , Burma, Vietnam, not in that order. Basically Thailand has lost it.

I will take my $$$$ and enjoy my time somewhere else.

• Like 1

German man had every right to be angry at the kids. Imagine if a group of farangs sat on a Tuk Tuk or other Thai owned vehicle. But getting angry seems to almost always lead to the inevitable beating/stabbing/killing. They might have had a previous run in with the victim.

Here we go, might of had a previous run in with the victim. The Thai visa FBI and alternative scenario gang are starting up. Maybe his girlfriend was secretly the girl of one of the gang. Come on, guy comes out 3 smart asses using his bike as a seat and he tells that, probable got heated and in typical Thai fighting style it ends up being a 3 on 1. It just was that. The real problem is there is no real punishment here for this type of thing, a jail sentence here for murder is usually 10 to 13 years. They will say faring attacked them and they defended themselves and will get off or a light sentence.

The poor guy probably should have known better and walked off, rather than antagonise the youths, if that is what he did. Maybe he was even an 'arrogant white man', but does that justify him being attacked and stabbed to death? The cultural barrier may well be down, but does that entitle any Thai to randomly and wantonly murder someone who is not Thai? Get a life mate.