German bar owner murdered on Koh Samui island

webfact

what i would like to know, is the german guys girlfriend´s name on the lease for the bar? and does she know these 3 "teenagers" ?? she didnt do much to save him.. ,, i bet she´ll now be happy she has a bar to herself??? or am i just too suspicious?

OR these 3 teens knew he was a member of the outlaws and paid by someone from another gang to "attack" him... I will guess this is 2 options the thai police wont investigate ??? probably be decided that the german threw himself over the guy sitting on his bike, and the glass accidentally went into him.. wouldnt surprise me..

As for thinking its ok to sit on other peoples bikes , why ? its not their property and shouldnt be near it... drunk or on drugs , no excuse for stabbing someone to death... death penalty is the only decent punishment for people that think its ok to take another persons life... losing face is like being a spoilt brat and taking a temper tantrum for being told off for doing something wrong...grow the f*** up..

I´ve seen these Outlaws at work in Bangkok , paid for protecting certain bars and appear at the click of a finger.., so if these 3 teens have any sense, they´ll kill themselves first...

The comments about all germans being arrogant and bad tempered i had to laugh at, obviously never spent any time in Germany, one of the best places to go , and ive always been looked after in the many times i go there...have many german friends.. im more embarrased about the behaviour of fellow brits , especially abroad

As for finding 2 thais sitting on my motorbike once , i warned them if they dont get off then im driving off anyway, fortunately they were both gorgeous girls and gladly came home with me, so not always a bad thing laugh.png

A Thai woman, absolutely will not stand-up to a Thai man, in defense of her "farang" bf or husband, even when she knows that the Thai man is 100% wrong. Thai women are "socialized" to be that way from childhood. That's the reason why a foreigner will never win, in a contest against any Thai man, in this Kingdom. There's a logical reason why the Russian men, bring their own Russian womenfolk (together) with them to reside in Thailand. Smart! Very smart.whistling.gif

Edited by NativeSon360
  • Like 1

Young kids of the wealthy families in Samui have always been a problem as they are virtually untouchable.

A shame to see nothing has changed in 25 years.

Thai menfolk (all) are virtually "untouchable", when it comes to an altercation between a Thai and a foreigner.

Read the book, "Money Number One". Its all there. wai.gif

Someone sitting on your bike, happened to me before, just smile at them, they move off, and you get on with your life

Yes very true they are usually very friendly if you just Smile and chat

Up in Chiang Mai seems to work but maybe different attitude south of Bkk i love C M to much to travel south

The German guy was a member of the Outlaws MC . I know these bikers go nuts if anyone touches their bikes so i can imagine this had something to do with the speed the incident descended into violence

If that's the case and he was a patch wearing member we can only assume retribution. No club sits back and does nothing if a brother has been murdered.

First of all RIP to my country men.

If this situation would have happened to me I would have ignored it.

I have often some teenagers sitting on my PCX or Click but never ever would I start shouting or being angry to make them loose face.

This situation spiraled out of control. I would have smiled to them and ask them in Thai in a friendly manner but under no way would I have shouted at them or confront them.

I also wonder why the wife of the victim did not try to cold down the situation.

Edited by MobileContent

All these suggestions of being calm are a given YES it is not safe to yell and get angry in Thailand.

But what if they wouldn't get off your bike or they were swearing at you people have limits and can be pushed too far.

I have walked up to a Thai person and told them to get the heck off my bike before. Do I care about them losing face NO not at all its there fault.

Just make sure if you are going to talk smack that you can win if it gets violent.

• Like 1

German man had every right to be angry at the kids. Imagine if a group of farangs sat on a Tuk Tuk or other Thai owned vehicle. But getting angry seems to almost always lead to the inevitable beating/stabbing/killing. They might have had a previous run in with the victim.

I am all the time sitting on a tuk tuk when my Lady is doing her shopping at a local market and even sit on local pickups once in a while.

Just recently my grandfather was admitted to a hospital because he was drunk and had an accident. My FIL drove with his pickup to the hospital and parked the car under a tree. When he came back to the car some people put a mat on the pickup and took their lunch on the back of their pickup.

My father asked them who they visited at the hospital and when they want to get off the pickup he actually told them to complete their lunch.

Samui Bar owner killed in a knife attack in Koh Samui – updated story

99-Bar-Chaweng.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- This morning, 20th of August the owner of a bar in Chaweng suffered a fatal knife attack. Reports have now confirmed that the victim was the 46 year old the owner of the 99 Bar in Chaweng.

Early reports suggested that after leaving a popular Chaweng nightclub he had an altercation 99 Bar Chawengwith a Thai man who was sitting on his motorbike in the car park behind Sound Club.

Witness have now told the police that the German and his Thai girlfriend left a nightclub and went to get their motorbike in a car park close to the club, where they came across three teenagers who were sitting on the German’s bike drinking alcohol.

The German became very angry with the youths when one of the Thai’s became angry he punched the German in the face before beating him with a beer bottle and stabbing him with broken glass in the neck. The attackers then fled the scene.

Medical workers reported that the man died of stab wounds and the police have said they are following CCTV footage to find the suspects.

The name of the victim is being withheld until it has been confirmed that the family have been informed.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2014-08-21

Sitting on other peoples bikes/cars is normal in TH.

to the westerner it's annoying

Classic cross cultural mis-communication

I wonder if the German was in say Colombia or Brazil would he be so confrontational?..........same outcome either way.

That is rubbish, sitting on others bikes is not the norm except for aggressive or ignorant types.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Someone sitting on your bike, happened to me before, just smile at them, they move off, and you get on with your life

So that's what you will do if I sat on your bike?

What if the smile doesn't work? What's your next approach?

I am not criticizing this poor dead man but in response to both quotes above, I will say that perhaps a smile and" hello" in Thai and a wai along with an "excuse me but I've got to get my girlfriend home" while pointing to the motorbike.... might have worked. It's pathetic that we would have to worry about insulting a bunch of criminals and to swallow our pride but it is better to do so than end up dead.

Edited by kamahele

The German guy was a member of the Outlaws MC . I know these bikers go nuts if anyone touches their bikes so i can imagine this had something to do with the speed the incident descended into violence

Oh .. if this is true then I foresee trouble ahead.

I would say that in your case you have just had dumb luck. Because given the post that you just made your well being could have had nothing to do with intelligence or decency.

True, happened to me before and I reacted in that way, BUT, what if the three had been drunk and did not move away from a smile? We have not been there to know how the incident evolved.

....if a popular...successful business........not to say it wasn't arranged...

I have to agree. Well could have been a planned hit to look like a parking lot arguement. All the other bikes to sit on, all the other parking lots to hang out in, too convenient that it was there when the victim was there. Sure the kids will be found; and thier punishment will be a lot less than if it were proved to be a 'hit'. I"m betting there was more to this than a brief parking lot shouting match.

Well, that all depends on the bike. I have found yayhoos sitting on mine scratching the paint with their shoes, flooding the engine by playing with the throttle, and spilling their cheap beer and lao cao all over it. Of course the unthinking twerps couldn't afford a bike like that; hence they climb all over mine. What's the problem you say? Someone could get killed--that's the problem.

• Like 2

The best thing would be to say may I get my bike? If they said no . no problem go back in bar call police let them handle it. I not these teenagers father. After police got there names and where they live I would then pay police to visit there homes with bill for damages to pay. Like loss of time phone call you had to make money spent for police to visit parents .

Its a terrible thing to happen to anyone RIP, and we dont know the full details of what happened, but i have to agree with Bartender100 on this. Just a simple smile and excuse me usually works, Thai people do this everywhere..

I have seen many slight collisions involving bikes and

the locals seem to just look at the bikes have a giggle a wai and off they go!

This type of thing seems to happen A LOT in this country. Why? What's the real problem?

Are Thai teens extremely frustrated?

Are they not taught REAL moral values? (instead of the superficial ones we are surrounded by.)

Are they not taught how to deal with emotions or conflict?

Do they value human life so little?

The best thing would be to say may I get my bike? If they said no . no problem go back in bar call police let them handle it. I not these teenagers father. After police got there names and where they live I would then pay police to visit there homes with bill for damages to pay. Like loss of time phone call you had to make money spent for police to visit parents .

You don't live here do you.

Its a terrible thing to happen to anyone RIP, and we dont know the full details of what happened, but i have to agree with Bartender100 on this. Just a simple smile and excuse me usually works, Thai people do this everywhere..

Thats what i've done and to be fair i've never had the slightest problem.

RIP to the poor guy

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As long as the courts do not punish murder here consistently, these senseless killings will continue .
If the police catch the murderer, the next day they are again released on bail.
Murderers have little to fear here, especially the sons and daughters of influential, wealthy Thais.

They always claim that the falang was provoking them or even attacking them first, all they did was defending themselves.

what i would like to know, is the german guys girlfriend´s name on the lease for the bar? and does she know these 3 "teenagers" ?? she didnt do much to save him.. ,, i bet she´ll now be happy she has a bar to herself??? or am i just too suspicious?

OR these 3 teens knew he was a member of the outlaws and paid by someone from another gang to "attack" him... I will guess this is 2 options the thai police wont investigate ??? probably be decided that the german threw himself over the guy sitting on his bike, and the glass accidentally went into him.. wouldnt surprise me..

As for thinking its ok to sit on other peoples bikes , why ? its not their property and shouldnt be near it... drunk or on drugs , no excuse for stabbing someone to death... death penalty is the only decent punishment for people that think its ok to take another persons life... losing face is like being a spoilt brat and taking a temper tantrum for being told off for doing something wrong...grow the f*** up..

I´ve seen these Outlaws at work in Bangkok , paid for protecting certain bars and appear at the click of a finger.., so if these 3 teens have any sense, they´ll kill themselves first...

The comments about all germans being arrogant and bad tempered i had to laugh at, obviously never spent any time in Germany, one of the best places to go , and ive always been looked after in the many times i go there...have many german friends.. im more embarrased about the behaviour of fellow brits , especially abroad

As for finding 2 thais sitting on my motorbike once , i warned them if they dont get off then im driving off anyway, fortunately they were both gorgeous girls and gladly came home with me, so not always a bad thing laugh.png

A Thai woman, absolutely will not stand-up to a Thai man, in defense of her "farang" bf or husband, even when she knows that the Thai man is 100% wrong. Thai women are "socialized" to be that way from childhood. That's the reason why a foreigner will never win, in a contest against any Thai man, in this Kingdom. There's a logical reason why the Russian men, bring their own Russian womenfolk (together) with them to reside in Thailand. Smart! Very smart.whistling.gif

seems you haven't met my ex, but then i would never have put her in that situation. respect cuts 2 ways.

As long as the courts do not punish murder here consistently, these senseless killings will continue .

If the police catch the murderer, the next day they are again released on bail.

Murderers have little to fear here, especially the sons and daughters of influential, wealthy Thais.

They always claim that the falang was provoking them or even attacking them first, all they did was defending themselves.

given the venue, its pretty safe to assume neither party were sober.

and it is more than likely that they had some previous knowledge of each other, given that they were all "local"

the whole thing is unfortunate whatever really transpired, the rest is speculation.

• Like 1

not arguing with idiotic teenagers can go a long way, I'm sure if the german didn't loose his tempers the teens would have just walked away

I notice getting into a heated argument and fight with a thais automatically turns on their kill instinct, whereas in the US its mostly punches thrown here and there, but they would never think about killing or stabbing anyone...less likely

• Like 1

After 5-years of being a "farang", I've learned that the only way to get along with Thai people, is to keep a smile on your face wai.gif to everyone, make no eye contact, pay the bar fine, when you need some sexual release, and buy a dog, if you need a friend.

They are not releasing the name of the guy until they make sure that his family is duly informed... Great ethics.

So... if a member of the family is reading the article and comes accross this line :

"46-year-old German man was an owner of 99 Beer Bar on Chaweng Beach"

they have no reason to worry because their relative, who happens to be a 46 year-old German and the owner of 99 Beer bar on Chaweng Beach is not named.

The hypocrisy of the press when it comes to ethics can be really creepy sometimes ...

Edited by Yann55
  • Like 1