The worst dental visit imaginable.

NomadJoe

I'm as in love with DDS as you I've been most happy with Tooth Town next to the Rawai Postal Office

Yeah they were booked out. ironically they were the ones that missed the initial cavity which lead to me losing this tooth. I had a cleaning and a check-up there with no cavities found, then not 3 months later a massive cavity already below the gum line and with only 70% chance of a successful crown.

I'm sure this thread will most likely be deleted, but I will comment. The dentist that opened and ran the place you are talking about was very good! She got pregnant, hired a young dentist who seems to lack the training that the older one has, who I believe studied in the USA. Sorry to hear of your pain, but your really need to get your extraction completed! If not, it can lead to serious infection and even death...

The place was recommended by a friend and I have heard good things about them.

I honestly don't know what to make of it. It's very likely she/they is/are perfectly competent, mistakes happen, and as every dentist I have ever had told me I had deep roots, but when your patient tells you before you even start that he thinks the Novocaine isn't working yet, and immediately complains of pain, the solution isn't to hold them down better and carry on. Her English was good, and I was complaining in both languages. but screams are screams, and I was screaming. I think she may have given me more Novocaine before her final go where she gave it everything she had then smacked my upper teeth with her pliers, but I am not sure because my eyes were covered which I also didn't like. My last root canal and wisdom extraction were painless, and I was expecting this to be too.

• Like 2

I'm sure this thread will most likely be deleted, but I will comment. The dentist that opened and ran the place you are talking about was very good! She got pregnant, hired a young dentist who seems to lack the training that the older one has, who I believe studied in the USA. Sorry to hear of your pain, but your really need to get your extraction completed! If not, it can lead to serious infection and even death...

The place was recommended by a friend and I have heard good things about them.

I honestly don't know what to make of it. It's very likely she/they is/are perfectly competent, mistakes happen, and as every dentist I have ever had told me I had deep roots, but when your patient tells you before you even start that he thinks the Novocaine isn't working yet, and immediately complains of pain, the solution isn't to hold them down better and carry on. Her English was good, and I was complaining in both languages. but screams are screams, and I was screaming. I think she may have given me more Novocaine before her final go where she gave it everything she had then smacked my upper teeth with her pliers, but I am not sure because my eyes were covered which I also didn't like. My last root canal and wisdom extraction were painless, and I was expecting this to be too.

I really liked the older dentist there, she made a great handcrafted crown for my front tooth that my US dentist totally F'ed up! But the younger one, I never liked much. She cleaned my teeth in less than a half hour just the other week. Very little scaling done. But I do brush several times a day and floss at least twice. I've had enough dental work in my life, I try to take care of what I have paid for!

• Like 1

Maybe the novocaine was bad...or maybe it was normal saline (to save on costs). Strange that it had ZERO effect on you....it really doesn't have to be on the nerve to work...just both sides of the tooth should do fine. I would have lost my mind and been put in jail.

• Like 2

Maybe the novocaine was bad...or maybe it was normal saline (to save on costs). Strange that it had ZERO effect on you....it really doesn't have to be on the nerve to work...just both sides of the tooth should do fine. I would have lost my mind and been put in jail.

My lip and tongue went slightly numb, but not to nearly the same degree as I recall in previous procedures. For sure the tooth had no numbing.

Did you by any chance have a gum (abscess)? I had a removal as a child and they just soak up the Novocaine and there is no numbing - the worst experience and had to give me smelling salts to revive. Dentist should never do when an abscess is present but this was someone who should have know better from one of the best US medical schools.

Few months ago had molar removed in Bangkok with no pain at all - and three very long roots presented for my exam by the professor/doctor.

As said get it tended by another facility.

Bangkok Phuket Hospital (normally I am absolutely not a fan of this place) did an excellent job of giving me 2 root channel treatments, and also of carrying out a complicated dental treatment on my daughter, who I believe was 3 at the time.

What a mess, Joe. Wish you strength, and see to it that you get it fixed somewhere else ASAP.

Edited by keestha
  • Like 1

I hate dentists, had one slap me around when I was kid as I was crying too hard to keep my mouth open.

You should certainly make sure the now absent and pregnant boss knows about it. Maybe even complete the procedure for you or pay for you to go to one of the hospital clinics. If it were me I'd be typing out the complaint right now to send to the appropriate authority. Maybe the dentist had prior complaints.

From my molar tooth pulling experience in Bangkok many years ago at the Phaya Tai 2 hospital that was very tough even for a male dentist to pull out due to severe pain. Despite of many injections to numb the tooth but it did not hit the particular nerve until the dentist injected extra Novocaine right inside the already cracked tooth due to pulling. That particular injection numbed the tooth and I no longer felt any pain that the dentist easily pulled out the tooth. What a different it made with only one injection after many injections that did not hit the spot. I was the one who told the dentist to try a different approach and he helped me to find the solution.

Your dentist should listen to you instead of trying to pull the tooth out while you were in pain. I feel sorry for you. The pain relieve medicine in Thailand that I used for tooth infection was ponstan, it really helped release the severe pain and made me sleep through the night.

Edited by BrooklynNY

That was a ghastly experience, NomadJoe.

I sympathise. Usually there is a little pain when the needle enters the gum, but to have a grown man screaming with pain in the dental chair is inexcusable. Previouly I had several extractions, crowning and canal repairing with a marvellous dentist in Soi 8 Latprao absolutely without pain, not even when the anaesthetic needle went slowly in. This dentist is retired now and I haven't been to a Thai dentist for 5 years now. I asked around but everybody told me they experienced pain when injected with the numbing novocaine. Does anyone know a dentist in Bangkok or Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai who can treat a tooth without any pain - not even from the needle prick?

I have excellent dental treatment in Thailand as have many people i have spoken to.

One member mentioned " mistakes happen "

Yes they may well but that not cut it in this case. The OP was clearly experiencing massive pain. In any procedure even this extraction should be almost painless. If the patient is showing signs of pain rule number 1 in dentistry 101 is STOP.

STEP 2 ADMINISTER MORE DRUGS

I had alot of work done at Bangkok Dential Clinic, They are very good and have a lab there and make their own crowns and dentures, I had to have my dentures relined and was in the States when I had that done and the Dentist in the States said that the work they had done on my teeth in Bangkok was very good.If the name of this clinic gets deleted message me and I will tell you the place and the Dr. to see.

My kids had their wisdom teeth out, as did I, and in all 3 cases we were given twilight sleep (Versed) by an anaesthesiologist, as well as novocaine. I can't imagine having only novocaine. And as one dentist told me when he did not get me numb for a filling, "On average, 25% of the time dentists miss the nerve and have to give you more novocaine." He was a teacher at a U.S. University hospital school for oral surgeons. If someone is trying to pull your tooth without your being numb, that's insanity. Sorry you have suffered so much! A bad tooth is worse than labor.

On the other hand, last week I went to Chiang Mai Ram hospital dental clinic for a routine clean. A nurse took my blood pressure beforehand as usual and noticed my slow pulse. After a brief interrogation she arranged an appointment, following the clean, with a resident cardiologist on the spot, who gave me an immediate EKG and re-arranged my prescription to improve the problem. No waiting, no appointment in a week's time, minimal charge, unbelievable service and attention. On top of that I have a wonderful Thai lady dentist who sings to me.

• Like 1