The worst dental visit imaginable.

NomadJoe

That was a ghastly experience, NomadJoe.

I sympathise. Usually there is a little pain when the needle enters the gum, but to have a grown man screaming with pain in the dental chair is inexcusable. Previouly I had several extractions, crowning and canal repairing with a marvellous dentist in Soi 8 Latprao absolutely without pain, not even when the anaesthetic needle went slowly in. This dentist is retired now and I haven't been to a Thai dentist for 5 years now. I asked around but everybody told me they experienced pain when injected with the numbing novocaine. Does anyone know a dentist in Bangkok or Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai who can treat a tooth without any pain - not even from the needle prick?

Chiangmai has excellent Dentist at Muk Mai Dental Clinic , from no pain from novocaine shot to the best work from male dentist.

6 free ibuprofen for my troubles

Every cloud has a silver lining.

I found dental care in Vietnam to be better and cheaper than Thailand. I too had horrible experience with root canal treatment in LOS and had to have that tooth extracted 4 months after $1600 "treatment".

Thank you very much, Moatbouy, for your recommendation of Muk Mai in Chiang Mai, especially for your reassurance that even the injection is painless. Appreciate you taking the trouble to inform me. Thanks so much!

I can understand the name of the place being deleted.....after all, it is only the word of a patient who had to go through such a horrible experience! But, who knows...perhaps NomadJoe is trying to smear the name of this "deleted" place out of some ulterior motive! (I KNOW that you are not, NomadJoe,..but I have to put this comment in the context of a 3rd party who doesn't know you and therefore can't know for a fact as I do, that there is no axe being ground here). So, referring to Thailand's laws concerning libel/defamation, my understanding is that only if such an accusation is false, would there be any avenue for conviction and or civil penalty. However, the onus is strictly and solely upon the disseminating party (i.e. in this case, NomadJoe) and anyone who assists in carrying out that dissemination (in this case, that would be ThaiVisa Forum) to prove that the stipulated facts were true AND made without any malicious intent. I suppose, therefore, that it is only natural that the Thaivisa Forum editing staff felt it necessary that they remove themselves from any risk of being named as co-defendants in any criminal or civil charges that might result! And therein lies the damn shame of iit! Now, as a person in need of some dental work and seeking a dentist, it is only reasonable for me to conclude that I must strike ANY and ALL dentists in the Chalong area off my list of possible dental offices to use for my dental needs. And THAT hardly seems fair to the other dentists in Chalong! I am presuming that there must be others since the poster's "in Chalong" portion was left in.!! Otherwise, naming or not naming the place would have made no difference!

OH! OH! Do I detect an "OOOPS!" here! Did ThaiVisa leave themselves open to charges here from the other unnamed and thus uncleared dentist facilities in Chalong? Hmmmm! Well, we'll hope not!! As I said, though....after reading this account...I personally would not avail myself of the services of ANY dentist in Chalong without personal and favourable knowledge regarding him or her!! Sort of a Catch-22, news media/public forums are placed in, isn't it? Good Luck, NJ....hope all ends up well with your tooth!!

HEY!!! Just had a thought! I wonder if ThaiVisa Forum would allow a comment which recommended a number of dentist facilities in Chalong, but said list somehow being absent one particular facility's name? Naahh! Probably not...might be worth a try! So far, the only recommendations are for me to go to, let's see...Bangkok, Chiang Mai.....Vietnam...or, as one wag stated "Real men pull their own teeth" with a video clip of (I will only imagine, cause I'm to chicken to watch it) somebody doing just that!!

Edited by Tingtau

the expression..'its like pulling teeth.. ofcource having teeth pulled is going to be painfull.. it sounds like you turned violent on the staff and made the situation worse, if you were in the west i guess you'd be suing for pain and suffering right about now, plus for the tooth you chipped when you had a tantrum.. and we'd all be paying 10 times what we are for dental work here.. there are upsides and downsides to the very affordable medical care we get here, if you knew you had such 'deep roots', then maybe you should have asked them to put you under, i realize there as extreme pain but that doesn't give you the right to a 'throw the staff across the room' that's probably where you got your chipped tooth.. don't be such a baby.

You get what you pay for.

Little dental facilities aren't monitored for hygiene or screen the staff.

I'd pay the extra and go to the hospitals.

The link posted above is the best I've found.

When it comes to dentistry this is not true. There are many variables and paying high prices alone does not equate to good quality dentistry.

How do I know this? Just thirty-five years in practice and owning my own office before retiring. Generally speaking I find the dentistry very good in Thailand, but as in all things one needs to know what to look for.

If one needs an extraction, especially a molar that has three-roots, try to find a competent dental surgeon who specializes in surgery. If you need dentures, do the same thing, try to find someone who is really good at it.

Avoid 'clinics' with fancy advertising that hire inexperienced dentists who work on a commission basis.

It is rare to find a dentist who can do everything well. Some know their limitations and refer patients to other dentists for procedures they are not comfortable or experienced in doing. While others just say; "Oh I have this dental degree from xyz university, so therefore I am now qualified".

Having years of experience also does not equate to good dental service either. In the U.S. One can call the Board of Dental Examiners and inquire as to how many complaints and reprimands the dentist has on file.

Finally, when someone says; "my dentist is a great dentist!" How do they know? They cannot see what the dentist is doing in their mouth. Great personalities do not equate to great dentistry. Some dentists are 98% bull hockey and 2% quality and they thrive, while other dentists are 2% personality and 98% quality and they starve.

• Like 2

Your post almost brought me to tears just reading it. I've been to several dentists in Bangkok and they always checked with me about the pain threshold.

Sorry to hear of your ordeal. Do follow up the treatment and good luck Sir.

Edited by Benmart

Real men pull their own teeth.

Dammnnnn!! Curiousity got the better of me...opened up the video and.....lasted all of 4 seconds before frantically trying to shut the darn thing off!!! Neeeoooo, thaaaannnnk yooooouuuuu! Now I have to go and watch, oncw more, Ed Hung performing his version of Ricky Martin's "She Bangs" to get the visual out of my head!! And you, Bulldozer Dawn, have to do the same in order that you may expiate your grievous sin of posting that clip!!!

People say toothache is the worst kind of pain....

It's sad and terrible, hope you get well soon and get the treatment done some where professional and probably from a reputed hospital.

And do not forget to write a written complain to the Thai dentist association about the malpractice.

I had a tooth extraction gone bad in California. The young lady dentist simply did not have the requisite muscle power to accomplish the mission. After every option she had available had been applied without success, she called around in the medical building to find a male dentist from another office come to finish the job. Now in Bangkok an Aussie friend recommended Thanaya Dental Plaza and they have performed better than any dental office I ever engaged. Everything fron implants to cleaning, at very reasonable prices.

Why are people talking about Thai people trained in the US?

Do you seriously not understand that any qualification obtained in a reputable country is instantly forgotten upon repatriation?

Open your eyes!

Some posts mention that Dr's or nurse's or Dentist was trained in USA because it shows they were trained and "certified" in their skill ability by US authority as up to US standards which is higher than most countries.

I have had teeth removed including impacted molars in both Bangkok and Pattaya Dental offices ( not hospitals)with no problems whatsoever, they even warmed the novacaine before injecting it so it wasn't cold going in.

Go to a good private hospital and get it extracted and get put to sleep. The gum will have to be opened, get it done ASAP or you will be in agony all the time. Dentists were my greatest fear I had terrible teeth problems I decided long time ago to get them all out and wear pallets, best thing I ever did, I can chew anything and so cheap to go dentist now, I go in leave my teeth tell them to sharpen them and back in 30 mins.

• Like 1

You get what you pay for.

Little dental facilities aren't monitored for hygiene or screen the staff.

I'd pay the extra and go to the hospitals.

The link posted above is the best I've found.

There's wisdom in this statement. I went to a private hospital to have an infected wisdom tooth taken out. It was lieing flat on the jaw to make it worse. The dentist was magnificent! How he struggled! Hardly felt a thing! He added more pain killer at my request at one point, and then waited for it to take effect. The best 4,600 Baht I have ever spent in my life! Consider the private hospitals for major work. You'll earn the money back.

I had a moler pulled in Suphanburi and the beautiful gal that was tugging on it was not going to quit until she had her prize. That big boy was so firmly entrenched she literally had to straddle me while another white coated vixen held my head firmly in place. Finally, after nearly 15 minutes of her huffing and puffy, grunting and squirming around on top of me my long root finally succumbed. A collective sigh went up as we all simultaneously enjoyed a happy ending for everyone. Btw, my wife was allowed to film the entire encounter with her cell phone. I think it may be available for download for just 500 baht if you hurry. Amazing Thailand!!! :)

• Like 2

Im so sorry mate but I have not stopped laughing for a solid 15 mins.......Its like a slapstick comedy scene

I'm glad to entertain you. Perhaps I am being a pussy, but I tell you, I was ready to give up state secrets, tell where the WMD is. These girls could have a bright future with Al Queda.

• Like 1

,,, So, referring to Thailand's laws concerning libel/defamation, my understanding is that only if such an accusation is false, ...

There are various laws (both civil and criminal) but false or true doesn't matter, there only needs to be an intent to damage the reputation of the person/business.

I have a very high tolerance to the numbing agent they inject...usually need 4 doses which still only takes the edge off. I'd suggest asavanant on Thong lo, pricey but done a good job on my deep filling and ceramic cap.

Re requests for recommends for dental treatment in Bangkok.

Over the course of a few years I’ve had a variety of treatments at Phaya Thai 1 hospital on Sri Ayudhaya rd. It’s a short walk from the Phaya Thai BTS.

I really, really wish I’d discovered this place long before I did, and would therefore have saved meself a lot of (self-induced) damage. The charges are very reasonable, I think. I too have the common fear of dentists, reinforced by a bad experience as a very young child, but I’ve had had a lot of very good experiences here and I’m very confident in their services and skills and have never been encouraged to have any unnecessary work done, quite the opposite in fact.

They don’t seem to have many foreigners when I visit, now six monthly , and that may be a positive factor, perhaps they want to encourage more, but from the reception staff (charming, professional) to the variety of dentists I’ve seen (I have a regular Orthodontist but depends on my needs) I’m continually really impressed. This could be one of the lowest on your list (I’m particularly thinking of you not seen a dentist in 25 years poster!) but needs doing and cost effective things to do in Bangkok.

As a result of this professional and friendly team (I could name names but it’s not necessary) I finally learned to brush better (after a life time of manic brushing and gums destroying) floss regularly (and I’m really lazy) and even revisited that childhood memory and corrected the mental tape, that unknown dentist did the right thing and finding an abscess, sent me straight to hospital, so the memory was really of going to a dentist and waking up post op in a hospital. Hope this helps, without pushing up the waiting times and charges!

Go see my dentist to get it fixed. He's amazing and I've had nothing but good experiences with him. Dr. Chanin at Dentaland, 41 Sukhumvit, phone 02-2600022.

Sukhumvit 41 is a bit far for me.

Why? Sounds like you've already been to hell; Bangkok is just a bit further south.

I had a similar experience where the injection didn't numb my tooth as I had expected. The Dentist explained that sometimes numbing is caused just the pressure against blood vessels from the fluid being injected. In those cases, numbness only lasts about 90 seconds and the Dentist has to get a move on. It isn't the same as when 'proper' numbness is caused by an interaction with the nerve. The patient should be given the option whether to carry on with the treatment screams permitting, or to adjourn until he/she can be medicated.

So if only a temporary numbing desn't allow sufficient time to get the job done, other methods must be considered. I don't know whether an anaesthetist is then legally required to be present in Thailand as in many jurisdictions but this puts up the cost. The option is always there for you to be unconscious while all the dental work is carried out as they do for very nervous patients, but as with most things concerning cost (and a favourite phrase in Thailand) - 'It's up to you'.

Go see my dentist to get it fixed. He's amazing and I've had nothing but good experiences with him. Dr. Chanin at Dentaland, 41 Sukhumvit, phone 02-2600022.

Sukhumvit 41 is a bit far for me.

Why? Sounds like you've already been to hell; Bangkok is just a bit further south.

Long, long, long way if going South.

Sure, dentists are a dime a dozen here in Bangkok. One must do their due diligence in selection/eliminating process. Size, reputation, public exposure and naturally cost are my deciding factors.

BIDC has been my selection and referral to friends for dental work...yet basic cleanings for a mere 750b I go to Healthy Smiles in Esplanade.

Horror stories are in every country, however I feel that the patient contributes to these horrors by already having such preconceived notions and anticipations of such negativity.

,,, So, referring to Thailand's laws concerning libel/defamation, my understanding is that only if such an accusation is false, ...

There are various laws (both civil and criminal) but false or true doesn't matter, there only needs to be an intent to damage the reputation of the person/business.

However, if it is in the public interest to make the information public as a well known Bangkok based Scottish journalist blogger has demonstrated time and again, the law does not apply- but a judge makes that call .