weaker currencies vs stronger currencies and how it applies to thailand and elsewhere.

It's a given that most farang money is big. Take the euro, the pound, USD etc.

Most currencies that are not farang aren't really that big say thailand like 1USD is around 32bht.

My country's currency the singapore dollar isn't too bad like 1 SGD is around say 70+ cents in the US dollar.

I can say that the cost of some of the items sold in my country is pretty on par with western countries maybe cheaper. Take some fast food meal let's say macdonalds. An average meal costs perhaps around 5 to 6 dollars in my country's currency it would obviously be cheaper if they were converted to USD or Euro but let's put the currency exchange rate aside and you can say that an average macdonalds meal with the main dish, 1 side of fries and a drink would also be around 5-6 dollars in farang money.

Anyway i have 2 questions.

1:) Do you have a rough idea if it's too expensive, the same, or cheaper when doing shopping or for the total living expenses in thailand and the surrounding countries. The thai bht isn't too bad because it is still within calculating means. Let's take the filippino peso or the indonesian rupiah.

1 USD = 11748 rupiah. Now ain't that a b!tch to try to figure out.

2:) Do you think the cost of daily living expenses are higher or lower compared to western countries.

If we just assume everything in these countries living expenses were equal to western countries then a macdonalds meal in thai bht would be around 200bht an indonesian macdonlads meal would be like 11748 x 6 = 70488 ruppiah according to the exchange rate of the ruppiah to the USD.

Pardon me i don't really know how to describe the 2nd scenerio. One of the main reasons why farang live in these countries is because everything is cheaper but it doesn't really help if the items cost the same as in their own countries. So if a typical macdonalds meal costs say 200bht it would be like 200 divided by 32 = around 6.30 USD that would be the same cost of a mcd meal in the US so there isn't any difference in a macdonald's meal in the US vs thailand would there?

I must admit, I'm sort of confused by your question.

Your title indicates Exchanges Rates.

Your OP talks about Cost of Living.

While related, they are not the same thing.

Then continue with the cost of a McDonalds Burger ... blink.png

The general feeling is that if you enjoy a Thai like lifestyle, then Thailand will be much cheaper then Singapore.

If you want to consume the same foods as you would in the West, then Thailand can prove to me more expensive.

What you consume, in products and services greatly effect of your "daily living expenses".

Lastly, the tax rate applied to each item, does considerably affect the cost of an item in Thailand

What i meant was are things like cheaper in foreign countries excusing exchange rates. Let's just assume a foreign country's currency is 1/2 as strong as your country's. So something that costs $4 in your country would cost $8 in that country. Now it wouldn't make any sense if you decided to migrate to a country that had everything that cost as much as your country. So you had to pay $8 in that country's currency that cost $4 in your country. You want to pay it cheaper compared to your country.

I was lamenting on how different exchange rates make the cost of everyday items seem so high. Like daily items costing in the 4 or 5 digits when it's actually only like 4 or 5 bucks in say a western country. Afterwards i asked what's the point if said item costs as much as that item in a western country. Say you pay 5 bucks for a meal in a western country and you pay the same in that country but it's in a 4 or 5 digit figure what difference is there since you're paying the same? All of this is lack of knowledge of what is considered low, avergae or high in said country. Let's say you earn 10k USD that's a good salary in the US and any farang country. You earn 10k ruppiah or say 10k bht that's really bad to western perspectives but is that considered good or avergae to them. You see my point.

I'm coming to your country in October with my family for a few days and if the Hotel price is anything to go on you have a BIG currency

My base currency for working out if something is cheap or cheaper isn't Pounds anymore , its either Baht or Ringgit and as the exchange rate between the two is always hovering around 1RM -10Baht, its not difficult.

Living expenses definitely lower , Malaysian eat out food is very good and very cheap although taking the ex-pat imported food option isnt cheap at all. I come from London so I find most places in the world cheap when it comes to rental prices

I suppose for many ex-pats Beer is the denominator as to whats cheap or not. You can get beer here for as low as 9RM , 90baht for a bottle of Heinny but that would be buying and drinking it in a Chinese no frills cafe with a concrete floor , plastic chairs and tables and no air con. If you want to be comfortable it will cost you double that in Malaysia, about UK prices and in some cases more if you want a pint of Strongbow or Guinness , about 5 to 6 pound a pint. Thailand is going the same way and again it depends where you to drink , if you want to sit at home drinking cans of Singha then its not expensive , but if you go into a "Pub" and drink imported stuff its not cheap

I don't find Thailand cheap when it comes to beer anymore

high noon for TROLLING??

taking "ultimate weapon" serious, I would say,

his general understanding is lacking,

but, as he seems to be something like in the range of 10 to 12 years old, there is a chance it will get better in the next 10 years.

hint:

1.try to deepen your understanding of exchange rates!

2. McDonalds burgers are a used to get an idea of what you get for your money in different countries. As long, as McD. burgers are everything you want to use your money for, this is a good idea,

but as it mostly is, the reality is much more complicate!

f.e. Coffee,wine,Mercedes Benz, Lamborghini, RoyceRoyce, are expensive goods in Thailand compared to Europe(mostly because of huge import-tax)

One working hour is cheap, compared to Western Europe.

Electronic goods, made in Thailand are much cheaper then imported electronics ...

3. "foreign countries" are everything but Thailand. They do not have something in common just because they are not Thai!

3.3. what is a "farang country" ? (White Russia, Romania,Bolivia, Armenia, Turkey, ...???

I would say: Decisions, where to live just made on the basis of how many Burgers you get for your money are not that clever!

(hint: there are - normaly -other reasons for choosing your place to live permanently!)

Edited by dieter1

If you want to get an idea of the cost of living in various places a better reference point would be the average wage. Take that for various locations and convert to your local currency. They manage on that but possibly do not eat Western fast food as their staple diet.

Really the big ticket items that affect a major part of daily expenses. Say for renting a 1 bedroom apartment in Singapore will cost around SD1,800-SD2,000 while relatively similar 1bedroom will cost SD600-SD800. Or a taxi ride that start from SD4.50 (I think) while in Bangkok is about SD1.80 approx. Don't talk about cars as the COE and car in Singapore can buy 2.5 cars in Thailand. Straightly comparing Singapore and Bangkok, cost of living is less than half.

• Like 1

high noon for TROLLING??

taking "ultimate weapon" serious, I would say,

his general understanding is lacking,

but, as he seems to be something like in the range of 10 to 12 years old, there is a chance it will get better in the next 10 years.

hint:

1.try to deepen your understanding of exchange rates!

2. McDonalds burgers are a used to get an idea of what you get for your money in different countries. As long, as McD. burgers are everything you want to use your money for, this is a good idea,

but as it mostly is, the reality is much more complicate!

f.e. Coffee,wine,Mercedes Benz, Lamborghini, RoyceRoyce, are expensive goods in Thailand compared to Europe(mostly because of huge import-tax)

One working hour is cheap, compared to Western Europe.

Electronic goods, made in Thailand are much cheaper then imported electronics ...

3. "foreign countries" are everything but Thailand. They do not have something in common just because they are not Thai!

3.3. what is a "farang country" ? (White Russia, Romania,Bolivia, Armenia, Turkey, ...???

I would say: Decisions, where to live just made on the basis of how many Burgers you get for your money are not that clever!

(hint: there are - normaly -other reasons for choosing your place to live permanently!)

Asking currency exchange rates aside i was asking if the cost of living was the same that's it. I know it isn't the same in every country. I was just asking since the ruppiah for example is so small how do you even factor in the cost of living. It was just me lamenting on it.

Asking currency exchange rates aside i was asking if the cost of living was the same that's it. I know it isn't the same in every country. I was just asking since the ruppiah for example is so small how do you even factor in the cost of living. It was just me lamenting on it.

ultimate weapon ... are you an Indian Singaporean?

The reason I ask is the constant reference to the Indian Rupiah.

Rupiah is Indonesia currency while rupee is India. Can be confusing at times.

Rupiah is Indonesia currency while rupee is India. Can be confusing at times.

not confusing is the fact that 11 Indian Rupees buy 2,000 Indonesian Rupiah.

The Indonesian ruphia fluctuates too much, especially now while the new government is being elected. Indonesia has great resources, a wealthy country & the economic outlook is rated as good.

Sadly, as is usual, the greatest wealth is within the same ' families"

The cost of living if your local is quite high in comparison to Thailand. Taxes on fuel, are to be raised again. Electric, that's when you have any is more expensive. Internet/Cable more expensive. Retirement visa.. You will need plenty of cash to pay for that luxury as your non Indonesian, if you aim to do the tourist visa route. Consider USA $35 for visa on arrival, 200,000 ruphia as exit tax. If you do multiple entry visa it's cost depends on from which country you are applying from.. Singapore, more expensive. And you still have to exit every 90 days. Housing may be less, but you may have to share space with the rats. Of course you can buy your way out of any situation there.

Thailand IMO far better.. Quality of housing, stable electric & water, affordable internet ...

And you get the lovely Thai smile as well !

I always find it perplexing when people say things like "the USD is strong" or the "pound is strong" etc as their comments are usually unconnected to the actual rises and falls of the currency itself, versus other currencies such as the. Thai Baht. And it bears no resemblance to any analysis or observation of costs of purchasing comparable items in the respective countries. Unfortunately, these dim wits just seem to think that if it costs just $4 to buy a Big Mac in America, or whatever, but 120 baht in Thailand, that to them this means the USD is strong, because 4 is a small number compared to 120. In essence, it's a bit like thinking that if I weigh myself in ounces I would conclude I was very heavy, but in KG. I would be light..because they would weigh lots of ounces but not so many KG. Basically, i rarely discuss financial matters with most people, although I sometimes try, because most people are just too god damned stupid to say anything half way sensible. I've come to this conclusion not because of arrogance, but through a path of frustration and amazement, with reluctance, unavoidably.

Edited by paddyjenkins

I was lamenting on how different exchange rates make the cost of everyday items seem so high. Like daily items costing in the 4 or 5 digits when it's actually only like 4 or 5 bucks in say a western country. Afterwards i asked what's the point if said item costs as much as that item in a western country. Say you pay 5 bucks for a meal in a western country and you pay the same in that country but it's in a 4 or 5 digit figure what difference is there since you're paying the same? All of this is lack of knowledge of what is considered low, avergae or high in said country. Let's say you earn 10k USD that's a good salary in the US and any farang country. You earn 10k ruppiah or say 10k bht that's really bad to western perspectives but is that considered good or avergae to them. You see my point.

i can see your point very clearly.

keep on lamenting my friend.

you are indeed the "ultimate weapon of finance".

Laughing-chimp-gif-animation.gif