Disclosing DOB in Profile

Xangsamhua

Putting any kind of personal information into a public Internet profile is a serious risk to your personal security, and should be avoided.

1) Identity thieves can use it to build a profile of who you actually are. Using multiple sources of information they may eventually get enough details to pose as you and then steal from you

2) Nutcases, psychos and assorted cranks may take a disliking to what you say here, and use personal information to find out who you actually are

We are all talking to complete strangers here. 99% of people here (even the ones we may bicker with sometimes) are likely to be decent and honest, but there is always the other 1% that isn't.

Real names, addresses, personal photos that give away other information about you, email addresses, place of work, places frequented routinely, phone numbers, DOB, any documents that identifies you, etc, should all be kept private until you are really sure you know whom you are talking to.

Edited by Thanet

I am not sure if that is still true, but it was a well know hack (by some bad peoples) to learn your CC number.

20 years ago, USA had 2 centers, that handled all informations for people. We are talking mostly about Name, DOB and .... the first five credit cards that will be issued to you.

What was interresting at that time was to get the CC number from people not in age to get physicaly one. Having that it was quit easy to go shopping.

I turned my back to darkside of the force since a long time, so I am unsure (almost certain) it is not possible today.

But I am certain having your DOB, and a way to contact you by email would provide me a whole range of opportunity in 'social engineering', and at the end of the day enough clue to your electronic wallet.

Can artist are the most creative people on earth!

24th of September - i shall be 51. Jeez, that sounds old and wrinkly. Whereas i am young and bubbly.

Aunty Patsy ... with your puuuurfect looks, I reckon you'd be a bit of a Cougar.

Don't mention it to the nephews though ... just bring them Chocolate ... laugh.png