Disclosing DOB in Profile

Xangsamhua

I'm a member of another forum that is undergoing some controversy because it now requires members to disclose their date of birth in their profile. Many people see this as an invasion of privacy and ask what is going to be done with the information. The response from the administrators is vague but, essentially, says that disclosure of DOB will enable them to deliver better services.

In signing up for thaivisa.com it seems that disclosure of DOB is optional. I've looked at a few profiles, including my own, and some members have their DOB on view and others don't. (Mine is on view.)

My question is whether I should be worried about disclosing my date of birth on my profile for any internet discussion forum, whether it be thaivisa.com or the other, Australia-based, one.

It seems many websites that require a date of birth only do so to determine that the prospective member is over the age of 18 or for whatever passers for majority in a specific country else parental consent is required.

• Like 1

No one gives real information out over the web.

So I guess in the situation above if a minor gives false information to the website owner that would absolve them from any responsibility regarding improper site use of the site by a minor.

Some members on here are 99 years old some 1 year old so you can see not a valid indicator of one's actual birth date. Now if they require you to submit identification of your bday I would find another forum. biggrin.png

You don't allow members older than 100?

Thanks guys. That gives me a much better idea.

I'm pretty naïve, but I think quite a few others on that website are, too. It caters for retired men and provides a service to retirees who suffer depression.

I must confess it never occurred to me to give a false date, but now you mention it, it seems pretty obvious.

I'm pretty naïve, but I think quite a few others on that website are, too. It caters for retired men and provides a service to retirees who suffer depression.

I must confess it never occurred to me to give a false date, but now you mention it, it seems pretty obvious.

Mate, what ever Forum I go on ... I'm born on January the 1st ... then pick a year that makes you older then 18 ... or 21 in some US States.

• Like 1

Mate, what ever Forum I go on ... I'm born on January the 1st ... then pick a year that makes you older then 18 ... or 21 in some US States.

Exactly what I do now.

Don't worry about it, we were all born sometime. What are they going to do with your "birthday". I give an approximate date as I like others to know my "age-group" Now, your tax file number and bank details are another story.

Some members on here are 99 years old some 1 year old so you can see not a valid indicator of one's actual birth date. Now if they require you to submit identification of your bday I would find another forum. biggrin.png

I think they are giving their correct ages, mentally that is, not physically.

I too hate giving my personal details out on the Internet and think that it`s a diabolical liberty to impose these conditions just to subscribe or join online social networking sites, forums and the like.

There are 3 options for those wanting to join/subscribe to these sites:

Give the correct dates of births

Give false dates of births. I normally use January 1, 1960 that is not my actual DOB and is easy to remember. I was born before that date but can get away with it because I look much younger and in Thailand considered a hansum man, especially when I am buying the rounds of drinks.

Or don`t join/subscribe to these outfits.

The only consolation with all this, is that unless conducting official business such as banking or paying taxes, we can be anyone we want to be and what details we give when signing up on groups and forums is really up to our own discretion and therefore do not regard this as a problem.

I normally use January 1, 1960 that is not my actual DOB and is easy to remember.

I always use January 1, 1970. Easy to remember and over age of consent. I don't want my DOB displayed as I like to remain anonymous just in case someone who might know me reads my posts and profile.

I have for a long time been on a forum which is strictly restricted to union members who work for our company only.

It started out as anonymous, the administrators only knowing who everybody was to confirm employment status.

Eventually ownership of the forum changed hands and it was decided that we must drop our online "handles" and post under real names only.

The trolling, petty arguments, B.S, slanders and attacks were eliminated immediately and thus the real purpose of the forum, information

and balanced discussion was better realized. I am not saying this would be appropriate for Thai Visa, as it also took a little bit of the fun away,

and probably decreased click count. Just Sayin'

I never set up anything in my profile, After reading this thread I went to my profile. Clearly all is says is Male. Interesting though a small number of posters came and viewed my profile as it shows visitors. Do people populate their profile pages? I would prefer a PM message and chat offline to get to know folks if curious.

Also there is a green box with a number in it and says "Excellent". I will assume it is counting the "Likes" people have clicked on. Why don't they have a "Don't like button".