The British are the second largest group of 'suicide tourists' to Switzerland

webfact

Switzerland: Number of "suicide tourists" doubled in three years

ZURCIH: -- British people are the second biggest group of “suicide tourists”, according to a new study, which shows that the number of people traveling to assisted dying clinics in Switzerland has doubled in three years.

More than 600 people traveled to Switzerland for help taking their own lives between 2008 and 2012, at one of four clinics which permit non-Swiss nationals. The annual number of so-called suicide tourists doubled between 2009 and 2012, according to research carried out by the University of Zurich.

Despite attempts to change the law in the country, assisted dying clinics can operate legally in Switzerland, and have attracted large numbers of people with terminal illnesses and debilitating medical conditions, from other European countries where euthanasia is illegal.

The new analysis of the phenomenon reveals that 126 UK nationals were helped to die between 2008 and 2012 – making it the country with largest number of suicide tourists after Germany.

One in three people who were helped to die were suffering from more than one condition, the researchers said, with neurological conditions the most common reason for seeking euthanasia, followed by cancer and rheumatic diseases, which are conditions of the joints and muscles.

Full story: http://www.eturbonews.com/49330/switzerland-number-suicide-tourists-doubled-three-years

-- eTN 2014-08-21

I find it hard to believe that anybody would make jokes about this.

Can you not imagine or feel any sympathy for the suffering that people must go through to make such a decision?

Don't believe in euthanasia. It's a slippery slope that soon encroaches on who deserves to die. So, yes, I'll continue to ridicule this idea.

Edited by zydeco
  • Like 1

I have all sympathy and admiration for people who don't want to sit around suffering in pain waiting to die. Although if I'm ever in that situation I'd probably organise a big party and then top the night off with a BJ and a handful of pills.

But I was just wondering what they put on their immigration card as "Reason for visiting", because unless they're honest it must really pish off Swiss immigration.

• Like 1

Can you not imagine or feel any sympathy for the suffering that people must go through to make such a decision?

Don't believe in euthanasia. It's a slippery slope that soon encroaches on who deserves to die. So, yes, I'll continue to ridicule this idea.

imo, it's not a matter of belief, but a matter of self determination (which finishes in the termination of self - a most awful pun and not at all classy!)

What a load of rubbish. The decision should be with the person who is ending their own life.

I can understand the need for medical approval in the case of mental illness, but if someone is riddled and terminal with cancer it should be no-one else's bloody business.

Yes, problem is there is so much money beign made by the life extenders. Even worse are the ones that don't want you to take pain killers as you are dying, you may get hooked or it is bad for your health. Total crap by government and religious zealots.

• Like 2

Hello Wayne. Last time I made a comment similar to yours (about a similar situation) I got some very pissed off replies and was told to 'get a life', because posters were just reacting spontaneously and what was wrong with that ?

You will probably get your share of aggressive reactions too.

I didn't start bickering back and forth because it's not my style, but if someone tells you to 'get a life' I suggest you tell them to 'get a conscience'.

Edited by Yann55
  • Like 2

It is your personal view and your personal right to believe or otherwise in euthanasia. However, does this give you the right to ridicule the suffering of people who wish to die rather than bear unbearable pain, physical and/or mental?

• Like 2

Funny old world. You are expected nay required to put a suffering pet out of it's misery. Offer the same service to a terminally ill relative and it's off to court you go.

Yet ironically they refer to the former as a "humane" act.

blink.png

• Like 2

better to laugh than cry ?

(And it is a Natural psychological protection against - bad stuff...)

And when your national health system begins providing "counselors" to advise terminally ill patients (OR patients whose quality of life is permanently affected)?? ...patients perhaps currently on very costly "maintenance regimens". 'Seems to me there's a very fine line there between providing "information" and providing "advice"... And what factors will actually be driving any "advice"... And for that matter, what "information" will they actually be getting? The issue of whether or not to allow the ending of one's own life gets considerably more complicated and problematic once healthcare companies and government, who after all are continuously making resource allocation determinations, is involved. Even the patient's own doctor comes to it with a possible conflict of interest.

I have all sympathy and admiration for people who don't want to sit around suffering in pain waiting to die. Although if I'm ever in that situation I'd probably organise a big party and then top the night off with a BJ and a handful of pills.

But I was just wondering what they put on their immigration card as "Reason for visiting", because unless they're honest it must really pish off Swiss immigration.

I am with you on this one Chicog, but a handful of pills can often cause convulsions and vomiting. I think I want to have a little bit of assistance to get it right. It's not something I'd want to screw up.

I like the idea of a big party though. I'd sure feel bad if they had one after I was gone.

A rare case - I agree with Chicoq. What is wrong with biting a bullet? Or the thought of using illegal weapon will sour your last moment?

And one more thing. To our moralists here: you live your life taking it seriously therefore can't understand people laughing at death. What a miserable life AND death!

Make love, not war. Crack a joke, not moralize. Smile instead of frown. smile.png

Edited by ABCer

What a load of rubbish. The decision should be with the person who is ending their own life.

I can understand the need for medical approval in the case of mental illness, but if someone is riddled and terminal with cancer it should be no-one else's bloody business.

A work mate died screaming his friends told me. The hospital just not give him enough medication. Everyone should have the right to die with dignity, at a time of their choosing.

• Like 2

I am with you on this one Chicog, but a handful of pills can often cause convulsions and vomiting. I think I want to have a little bit of assistance to get it right. It's not something I'd want to screw up.

I like the idea of a big party though. I'd sure feel bad if they had one after I was gone.

A rare case - I agree with Chicoq.

Add me to the list. It is pretty easy to screw up self-deliverance without a doctors help and end up even worse off. I think that it should be legal everywhere.

ditto!

• 2 weeks later...

Nope...and no sympathy from any religion for that matter...

There is a good chance if I was terminally ill, in alot of pain, and suffering daily, with no chance of recovery, that I would visit one of these clinics too. With the consent of my family, of course. It does seem like a dignified way to go out. Who cares if religion agrees? Religion does not agree with contraception either, and is partly responsible for families with 10 to 20 children. As was famously uttered in True Detective, about religion and more specifically about those that teach religion:

Transference of fear and self loathing to an authoritarian vessel is catharsis. He absorbs their dread with his narrative. Because of this, he is effective in proportion to the amount of certainty he can project. Certain linguistic anthropologists think that religion is a language virus, that rewrites pathways in the brain, and dulls critical thinking.