Cable size from street meter to house one bedroom house upcountry

mcfan

Hi all,

Hope some one can help.

Wife built a small house at the rear of parents house using a local thai builder (up country).

One bedroom,no hot water or air cond,

He also ran the cables from the meter pole to her house using Bangkok cable 750V 70c PVC THW 16sq mm TIS 11-2531 table 4. This I read on the cable,inside it has 7 copper strands.

Approx 30 meters long

The electric company has come to put the meter on and said no good wire not right.

Is this correct if so what size wire should she have ?

It has been two years since the house was built and she has been using a cord from the front house until now.

Cheers

What size meter are you having, PEA won't put anything bigger than a 15/45 on 16mm2 cable (which should be more than adequate for what you have).

You do need to ask exactly what is the issue, you can't just guess.

From Bangkok Cables product catalogue which is on my desk in front of me...

"THW Application: For building wiring, installation on insulator or in a race way, DRY LOCATION"

"NYY Application: For installation exposed or in a raceway, dry or wetlocation, or direct burial in ground"

The guy said the wire was not right so maybe he is being strict on the rules. Either cable works fine for what op needs.

What size meter are you having, PEA won't put anything bigger than a 15/45 on 16mm2 cable (which should be more than adequate for what you have).

You do need to ask exactly what is the issue, you can't just guess.

Didn't get to the meter size, I think they my have just looked at the diameter of the black cable thinking it was the alloy one and said no.

Would be happy with a 15/45 if the wire is suitable. Her brother has a 5/? For his grass hut, light , fridge and big tv. My guess a 10/? Would be ok the 15/45 great.

From Bangkok Cables product catalogue which is on my desk in front of me...

"THW Application: For building wiring, installation on insulator or in a race way, DRY LOCATION"

"NYY Application: For installation exposed or in a raceway, dry or wetlocation, or direct burial in ground"

The guy said the wire was not right so maybe he is being strict on the rules. Either cable works fine for what op needs.

This makes sense before I posted my research located the wire for race way ,had no idea what that was.

Maybe a bit of tea money may have helped.

Whilst THW is not officially an outdoor cable it is regularly used as such when mounted on insulators (naked copper would be OK too).

No issue here, we have 16mm2 NYY from 15/45 meter to house, it was installed by PEA.

EDIT Do you have an RCD (Safe-T-Cut) and 3-pin grounded outlets? If not that would be a fail for a new PEA connection.

EDIT Do you have an RCD (Safe-T-Cut) and 3-pin grounded outlets? If not that would be a fail for a new PEA connection.

Firstly thank you for taking the time to answer my questions .

I have spoken to my wife again,PEA came to the property to connect a new meter to her brothers hut, he was also using the main house meter ( illegal ).

I have had a look at the pole at the front and their are 4 meters all 5/15.

She was not on site when PEA did the brothers meter.

She is sure that they never looked in the house, all they looked at was the two wires that the electrian fitted to the pole where the meter will go next to the others.

The ends of the wires have black tape covering them.

I have included photos of what we have.

I think the guy did not see we used copper cable NOT the alloy that all the other meters have feeding them.

As we are returning to Australia next week I will have to follow this up next trip in January 15.

post-46944-0-42801300-1408669165_thumb.j

post-46944-0-57127800-1408669226_thumb.j

post-46944-0-88970900-1408670125_thumb.j

You have:-

1. 16mm2 cable (copper)
  2. 63A incomer
  3. RCD
  4. 3-pin outlets

I can see no reason whatever that PEA wouldn't hook you up on a 15/45.

EDIT I have seen reports in the past where the connection guy wouldn't hook up the meter as the cable was too BIG. I wonder if this was the case here as he was going to fit a 5/15 which would normally hang on 10mm2.

Sorry, but the PEA guy said he had the wrong cable therefore there is a reason for the PEA to not approve. I can name lots of copper cables that will work but the real cable to use and get approved is NYY.

Crossy has even said he has NYY in his house which is the legal choice. I don't see why confusing the OP helps .

Sorry, but the PEA guy said he had the wrong cable therefore there is a reason for the PEA to not approve. I can name lots of copper cables that will work but the real cable to use and get approved is NYY.

Crossy has even said he has NYY in his house which is the legal choice. I don't see why confusing the OP helps .

I was hoping the PEA guy had made a mistake thinking we had alloy not copper.

As copper would not be used to expensive, in the village.

Ok if I need to replace the cable what should I use to make sure I comply and exceed thai standard?

Or is it better to get PEA to do the job?

Cost wise we have already paid the builder for the job, which appears to have used the wrong cable.

2years on just for a laugh what is the guarantee over here. Sorry had a seniors moment. Up until we made final payment I guess.

Does the PEA charge per meter run or just a total cost to replace.

These are just questions for general information. I will contact them when we return next year.

We have gone back to using the extension lead arrangement from the front house for now

Before I would change anything I would get PEA to come out and tell you exactly what is wrong. If you think that it because you are using aluminum then show the guy that you are using copper!

Sometimes my Thai wife drives me crazy as she refuses to ask why or even directions if she's lost. She tells me that she won't ask because the people will think that she is stupid. I tell her she is stupid for not asking and WWII starts all over again!

• Like 1

Sometimes my Thai wife drives me crazy as she refuses to ask why or even directions if she's lost. She tells me that she won't ask because the people will think that she is stupid. I tell her she is stupid for not asking and WWII starts all over again!

This has made me very happy I thought I was alone with this problem. This is why I like using this forum

This has made me very happy I thought I was alone with this problem. This is why I like using this forum

Gentlemen, you are most definitely not alone.

• Like 1

Safest (but not cheapest) would be to get PEA to do the job.

Yep. Came here to say this.

I usually just get fed up and do an end-run around the issue by directly contracting PEA, or locate a willing off-hours PEA Employee, to just do whatever will satisfy the requirement/in-house politics, to get the power turned on while maintaining safety.

It probably costs more money to do it this way but it does get done and usually everybody ends up happy and on to the next thing on their list/agenda.

Safest (but not cheapest) would be to get PEA to do the job.

Yep. Came here to say this.

I usually just get fed up and do an end-run around the issue by directly contracting PEA, or locate a willing off-hours PEA Employee, to just do whatever will satisfy the requirement/in-house politics, to get the power turned on while maintaining safety.

It probably costs more money to do it this way but it does get done and usually everybody ends up happy and on to the next thing on their list/agenda.

....and this is why we always use ex-PEA/MEA electricians, who still have some friends on the inside :)

• 5 months later...

As promised the Final update and connection of electricity.

History wife arrives 15th Dec 2014 village.Returns to electric office with a piece of cable, shows someone.

Yes that is fine,gets put on the list, very busy.

I arrive 20th January still waiting. Due to leave Thailand 18th February so around the 10th of February we call past the office just to check. Still busy lots of people waiting we are on the list.

Friday the 13th unlucky for some not us the meter is fitted 15amp cost around 4600 baht ( counting of light and power outlets)had a bearing on cost?.

Extra info brothers grass hut connection cost 560baht for 5amp.

Wife a litte heated when they spotted me they also wanted beer as well.

Anyway still don't know why they said no the first time,I still think it's because they assumed the cable was alloy and to thin.

So all happy, sorry final question from the wife "will the electric be more expensive because we have 15amp"

I think I know the answer but I said I would ask ok

Thanks to all who gave advise,and another happy ending in Thailand

Thanks for the update smile.png

If you have a permanent supply, power is about 4.2 Baht per unit for 5/15, 15/45 and 30/100 meters (the rate is variable and goes up with usage).

If you have a 'construction supply' you get charged roughly double the standard rate.

EDIT If you could post a photo of the markings on the cable that was finally OK it would be most useful.

EDIT If you could post a photo of the markings on the cable that was finally OK it would be most useful.

Hi Crossy thanks for your interest.

We are in Australia so a photo will happen when we return to Thailand in October ,sorry.

The cable has not been changed so the markings are the same as my earlier posts.

Bangkok cable 750v 70:c. PVC THW165sqmm TIS 11-2531. Table4.

The cable is black coating with 7 copper core/strands

Edit yes it's a permanent supply,the house is finished.

Edited by mcfan