Digital nomad, online workers.. Permission !

After reading the linked article, I would ask of all Thaivisa members to please have a thought for AYJAYDEE and JLCrab, two of our esteemed posters, who have now lost their favorite topic of conversation: harping on and on about how people working online are criminals working illegally. May they soon find another topic to post inane replies to.

Mouhahaha. Those guys, along with southpeel, are not online workers, don't know anything about online work, but for some reason read and participate in at least 10% of posts of endless thread about online workers in order to bitch about them (strange hobby if you want my opinion). They must be devastated by this news. clap2.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that there is no system in place in the LOS for people who actually want to pay taxes. Googlesoft sounds like a brilliant idea, I'd welcome it!

Did you go down to the Thailand Revenue Department and actually try to give them some money before you posted?

Most folks don't bother because simply paying taxes doesn't qualify for a WP or visa.

I love the idea of Googlesoft, too. But I fear that in between here and there will come a time when they can't actually debit your bank account and instead, we'll have to hire an accountant in each country to fill out a separate tax return.

The Thai's have seen the unmitigated disaster that the EU / USA have become by allowing all and sundry to arrive and settle.

They, sensibly, have said, we will allow some foreigners to come and live here, but will be strictly controlled. If you provide a service that Thailand wants and needs, we will issue you a WP.

Quite a simple concept.

But you wouldn't need a PERMIT for something that Thailand "wants and needs," you see. A permit is designed to exclude categories of people, otherwise there is no utility in having one. Why would those categories be excluded?

That would be for the Thai's to decide.

I see nothing wrong with controlling who you allow to reside in your Country by the issue of WP for individuals who provide a service that Thailand WANTS and NEEDS.

If the do not issue WP's for a service, that is because the Thai's have deemed that they DO NOT WANT OR NEED that service.

You are of course correct. Permits are designed to EXCLUDE certain CATEGORIES. Again, the Thai's have decided that they DO NOT WANT OR NEED those categories.

As already stated. It really is a simple concept.

Yes, but the question I was trying to draw attention to is why countries do this. And THAT...is a really simple concept.

Why should that question be part of any equation.

It is up to those Individual Countries to monitor, adopt and implement whatever policies that they deem necessary for the benefit of that Individual Country.

Why should those Individual Countries adopt policies that pander to any Tom, Dick or Johnny foreigner.

I really do not understand this constant assumption, that Countries have to bend over backwards for anyone, let alone foreigners.

In this case its Thailand. Their Country, their rules.

After reading the linked article, I would ask of all Thaivisa members to please have a thought for AYJAYDEE and JLCrab, two of our esteemed posters, who have now lost their favorite topic of conversation: harping on and on about how people working online are criminals working illegally. May they soon find another topic to post inane replies to.

Mouhahaha. Those guys, along with southpeel, are not online workers, don't know anything about online work, but for some reason read and participate in at least 10% of posts of endless thread about online workers in order to bitch about them (strange hobby if you want my opinion). They must be devastated by this news. clap2.gif

Thank you. As often noted I have an NGO based in the USA which turns up on the first page of several generic-type Google search criteria which any SEO online guy would kill for. The reason is all the links I create via comments on Legal analysis pages, international diplomacy sites, NY Times, and law school academic sites etc. some moderated prior to post not to mention all the links I create to Scribd.com or Dropbox filings of mine via Twitter.

Thank you. As often noted I have an NGO based in the USA which turns up on the first page of several generic-type Google search criteria which any SEO online guy would kill for. The reason is all the links I create via comments on Legal analysis pages, international diplomacy sites, NY Times, and law school academic sites etc. some moderated prior to post not to mention all the links I create to Scribd.com or Dropbox filings of mine via Twitter.

Thanks for the information!

bitch about them? lol. some guy who has to work for a living and cant find a way to stay in thailand because he cant manage to get a visa and start a company? snicker at the small fry perhaps. lol

The problem is that there is no system in place in the LOS for people who actually want to pay taxes. Googlesoft sounds like a brilliant idea, I'd welcome it!

Did you go down to the Thailand Revenue Department and actually try to give them some money before you posted?

Most folks don't bother because simply paying taxes doesn't qualify for a WP or visa.

I love the idea of Googlesoft, too. But I fear that in between here and there will come a time when they can't actually debit your bank account and instead, we'll have to hire an accountant in each country to fill out a separate tax return.

Why would anyone do that when the laws clearly states that it's illegal to work without a work permit?

That being said, I already own a company with actual (though inactive, as we have no use for them whatsoever) employees. Half of them are on Facebook as we speak, while the rest is watching Youtube. I wonder what we'd do without their fantastic contribution to our business model.

Thanks for the information!

You're welcome. I provided the information because it isn't proper netiquette to say Drop Dead, <deleted>.

• Like 1

bitch about them? lol. some guy who has to work for a living and cant find a way to stay in thailand because he cant manage to get a visa and start a company? snicker at the small fry perhaps. lol

What about the family guys who actually have a skillset and good reasons to stay, who would easily make 100k+ baht a month and wants to pay taxes? The only way would be to start a company, rent offices, hire 4 employees and an accountant etc. You are aware that costs more than 50k a month, right? And yes, that's before we get to the actual tax payments.

Are these criminals that should be thrown the hell out of the country, or would it be wise to have a system in place where they could stay and contribute legally (apart from the ridiculous idea of setting up an expensive company when they really shouldn't need one, that is)?

Don't you think that very old and outdated law is, in fact, making criminals out of ordinary people just trying to support their family?

I want to know who this person Southpeel is ?.... seems to me Pistachio's is another illiterate on liner who can read English either...rolleyes.gif... what devastating news BTW ? or do you mean a comment by a immigration officials who appears to have made a comment about a subject which he has no authority for ?

all these digtial nomads claim to be educated high fliers who are flush with cash, but it appears to me half of them cant read English and the other half cant comprehend English and some even take the time to look at gentlemens bottoms...

lets face facts ladies, you aint getting an "on line" visa for Thailand is this so hard to understand ? rant and stamp your little feet as much as you want... aint going to happen

start saving your bottle caps and aluminum cans... THB 500k is not that far away and you can get yourself a TE visa, if in the interim, you havent been prevented from entering the country on your next visa run that is .....thumbsup.gif

To Post #371 above: Maybe the Thai laws should be revised. I have never said that they shouldn't be. But those are the laws that are on the books now and there was a revision just this month of the extension-of-stay Police Order and there were no such changes as you would suggest. Then comes the observation from those who might be affected that Thailand is totally unaware of the online sub-culture and that their decisions are stupid, xenophobic, head stuck in the sand etc. Even if so, where does that get you?

• Like 1

What about the family guys who actually have a skillset and good reasons to stay, who would easily make 100k+ baht a month and wants to pay taxes? The only way would be to start a company, rent offices, hire 4 employees and an accountant etc. You are aware that costs more than 50k a month, right? And yes, that's before we get to the actual tax payments.

Are these criminals that should be thrown the hell out of the country, or would it be wise to have a system in place where they could stay and contribute legally (apart from the ridiculous idea of setting up an expensive company when they really shouldn't need one, that is)?

Don't you think that very old and outdated law is, in fact, making criminals out of ordinary people just trying to support their family?

if they are family guys, why do they need to hire 4 people ?, one supposes the are married to a Thai national, therefore its only 2 they need to employ, one can be the Mrs and the other a maid...and they only need a THB 1.0 mil capped Ltd company.

and I dont believe you on the THB 50k month costs either, and one can minimise any tax burden by paying only enough salary to get the extension based on a persons specific nationality...but you said you have a company inThailand so you knew all this already didnt you ?

• Like 1

does your home country allow everybody to come and stay permanently just because they have decided they want to live and work there?? mine sure doesnt.

To Post #371 above: Maybe the Thai laws should be revised. I have never said that they shouldn't be. But those are the laws that are on the books now and there was a revision just this month of the extension-of-stay Police Order and there were no such changes as you would suggest. Then comes the observation from those who might be affected that Thailand is totally unaware of the online sub-culture and that their decisions are stupid, xenophobic, head stuck in the sand etc. Even if so, where does that get you?

oh course they could change the laws, but one suspects what ever version of a new set of laws they come up with will involve setting up a legal entity in Thailand, as I have suggested a few times they could do away with the 4 X or 2 X employee rule, require the formation of a THB 1.0 mil or THB 2.0 mil capped ltd company and seeing as he "work" is conducted out of country lump a 25-30% withholding tax on the company and annually independently audited books = WP/extension of stay

but guess what the vast majority commenting here wouldnt want to do that either, they want to be "given" a visa with no investment and pay minimal or no tax.....this isnt going to happen

• Like 2

does your home country allow everybody to come and stay permanently just because they have decided they want to live and work there?? mine sure doesnt.

mine sure as h*ll doesnt, in fact in this sort of situation, tourists are allowed 180 days a year in country and after that bugger off...come back next year

why oh why cant our leaders see how easy it would be to make our countries so much more powerful and wealthy if they would only recruit every hobo with a laptop that wants to get permanent resident status at no cost and work in other countries so he doesnt have to pay any tax?? how can they be so blind???

• Like 2

if they are family guys, why do they need to hire 4 people ?, one supposes the are married to a Thai national, therefore its only 2 they need to employ, one can be the Mrs and the other a maid...and they only need a THB 1.0 mil capped Ltd company.

and I dont believe you on the THB 50k month costs either, and one can minimise any tax burden by paying only enough salary to get the extension based on a persons specific nationality...but you said you have a company inThailand so you knew all this already didnt you ?

Actually, you won't get a work permit with two employees even though you're married. And if your wife's the Director, she won't count as an employee. So no, I didn't know. Please enlighten me.

oh course they could change the laws, but one suspects what ever version of a new set of laws they come up with will involve setting up a legal entity in Thailand, as I have suggested a few times they could do away with the 4 X or 2 X employee rule, require the formation of a THB 1.0 mil or THB 2.0 mil capped ltd company and seeing as he "work" is conducted out of country lump a 25-30% withholding tax on the company and annually independently audited books = WP/extension of stay

but guess what the vast majority commenting here wouldnt want to do that either, they want to be "given" a visa with no investment and pay minimal or no tax.....this isnt going to happen

25-30% tax sounds fair to me. Why have you decided that they want a visa without contributing their fair share? Assumptions and more assumptions.

THB 500k is not that far away and you can get yourself a TE visa, if in the interim, you havent been prevented from entering the country on your next visa run that is .....thumbsup.gif

This is becoming oft-stated here - The badly worded TE website mentions 'Work Permit - 5 Days' - it doesn't mention if all the requirements related to actually obtain one are removed in any manner by owning a TE card.

If the requirements remain (whch I strongly suspect is the case) there is no benefit for an online worker to obtain a TE card beyond speed of WP issue - they would still need a company / thai employees etc.

Happy to be corrected with a link to detailed t&cs

Nowhere. But it's ok to discuss matters that requires change. That's what discussion forums are for.

quite frankly your opinion doesn't matter, change or no change to this law makes no difference really. Online workers gunna work

and neither does your opinion to the people who actually enact the laws, you can stamp your little feet, and hold your breath till you turn blue dear boy, Thailand aint getting an "on line" visa in the form some are hoping for, and yes people are going to work on line, and will continue to do so until they are not allowed back into Thailand as they dont have the right visa, or too many tourists visa's, or too many visa runs or get sprung for working illegally.

The fact is, the on liners are demanding more "freedom" in Thailand and reality is the opposite is actually occurring, they are closing the loop holes...

and you will be dead in a few years tongue.png

Well I am all legal here sir, and I am actually moving to a more quiet and peaceful location AKA Laos soon, so farewell to LOS and it's ever increasing crime rate and endless supply of laughs it supplies the rest of the world, the laughing stock of the world, LSOW should be the correct terminology. Enjoy old man, and don't get too angry like you do on the internet with Thai locals at your age on the street, you will become a statistic

Will I really ? from what ?... not old age certainly, I still have a good few years before I an even elible for a retirement visa, not angry at all just get fed up listening to delusional little turds, full of self entitlement thats all...wink.png

So let me guess you went and bought a bar girl, married her and got your visa that way.

Your comments really are sad, and you know we don't all want to risk venereal diseases the way you have just to stay in the country vs a decent chance to do it legally...disease and sleaze free ;)

mine sure as h*ll doesnt, in fact in this sort of situation, tourists are allowed 180 days a year in country and after that bugger off...come back next year

Which country is that ? I need a simple country where I can go to and do the 180 days.

Well, first, let's be clear I'm not applying this to me, just in the abstract. It's a chicken and egg situation. If someone has that aptitude, they will find a way, but there has to be a legal route for it. Anyway, a "self proclaimed digital nomad" is still a funnel of money into the country. Structures could be created for that to be an intermediate state, under certain circumstances, to funneling talent, knowledge and jobs into the country too. Not that I think that being only a funnel of money into a country...is a bad thing for that country wink.png

it would take more time and energy than its worth for the government to screen all these self proclaimed digital nomads for the required talent and knowledge.

According to their requirements - Lord Buddha wouldn't be able to stay and nor would a young Bill Gates.

you really should do some research:

2.13 In the case of studying Buddhism or practicing religious activities:
Each permission shall be granted
for no more than one year.
1. Application form
2. Copy of applicant’s passport
3. Confirmation letter from the National Office of Buddhism, Office of the Prime Minister, Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University, Mahamakut Buddhist University, or other educational
institutions for monks
4. Confirmation letter from the abbot of the temple where the applicant is studying Buddhism or practicing religious activities
as for no Bill Gates, by the same token no Ted Bundy either.

Lord Buddha was not a Buddhist, in contemporary terms he was a Hindu.

Bill Gates would have troubling proving his academic qualifications.

Ted Bundy? No problems.

Why can't you guys understand you can open your own IT company. That's what Thailand wants.

You cannot work as a plumber here but you can open your own plumbing company. Same Same.

Absolutely ATF - I totally agree
And I would add that most long-termer farangs are making well above the national average salary here. Maybe they think it's because they are better or whatever I don't care why. But what I do care about is what appears to be a lack of a sense of responsibility to balance their fortunate position by giving back to community they are in many cases taking complete advantage of. Then they wonder why people try to charge them more for things!
There are a lot of comments on this thread about how much money farangs pump into the economy. While that's probably true in examples like farangs buying expensive cars & houses, fancy wine and going for pizzas more often than getting pad krapao gai on the street.
However I hardly call that giving back to the community. If you're someone that is secretly making 100,000THB/month+ online (and we all know there are many making a whole lot more than that), giving back to the community is more than just spending that money here. In these cases you need to also provide employment and/or training and/or charitable contribution and/or family support. It's only fair.
I think too many guys are kicking back on 300,000THB/month and not giving a damn satang of it to improving the country they so often whinge about.
If I had a satang for every farang that complained about Thailand while at the same time planning to live here long term, maybe we could afford the second car our family dream about.
Also, If I had a dollar for every Australian who complained about Chinese businesses buying up Australia then maybe I can buy a condo on Samui too (except I don't want one)
Edited by Tuskfish
  • Like 2

Nowhere. But it's ok to discuss matters that requires change. That's what discussion forums are for.

At some point is also OK to consider how one might go about nudging matters that require change in the desired direction but that would maybe require something more that an anonymous post on a website. Maybe contacting officials, various chambers of commerce, etc. but that takes some effort. Nah, easier just to post.

However I hardly call that giving back to the community. If you're someone that is secretly making 100,000THB/month+ online (and we all know there are many making a whole lot more than that), giving back to the community is more than just spending that money here. In these cases you need to also provide employment and/or training and/or charitable contribution and/or family support. It's only fair.
I think too many guys are kicking back on 300,000THB/month and not giving a damn satang of it to improving the country they so often whinge about.

Would you say that 'traditional' onsite work expats or retirees need to provide employment / training / charitable contributions / family support as well? Why the highlighting of online workers in this regard?

I think the sentiment is noble, but disagree with the highlighting the group you chose to highlight. I don't see why someone who presently earns money online should be inherently more responsible for 'giving back to the community' than someone who doesn't.

If you're simply saying 'wealthy people should help others' I'm onboard with the sentiment.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

why oh why cant our leaders see how easy it would be to make our countries so much more powerful and wealthy if they would only recruit every hobo with a laptop that wants to get permanent resident status at no cost and work in other countries so he doesnt have to pay any tax?? how can they be so blind???

well they do in america and the uk - talent from all over the world heads to silicon valley or cambridge to found startups.

the same would start happening here if the government didn't expect 51% to be handed over and 4 layabouts employed before even a line of code has been written cheesy.gif

Edited by ColdSingha

Actually, you won't get a work permit with two employees even though you're married. And if your wife's the Director, she won't count as an employee. So no, I didn't know. Please enlighten me.

yes you can, I know guys who have this exact set up, the wife doesnt need to be a director or even a share holder in the company.

how can you say you will not get a WP, this is exactly what is quoted under Thai law in the civil and commerical code under Ltd company formations...rolleyes.gif

• Like 1