GLO looks set to claim back 43 million thai lottery tickets

webfact

GLO looks set to claim back 43 million lottery tickets

8-21-2014-9-36-52-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- It was widely speculated that the Government Lottery Office might reclaim the quota of 43 million lottery tickets from a handful of major lottery traders after GLO officials and employees were told to pump a message “controlled lottery” on the lottery tickets.

Observers said that the pumping of the message on the 43 million lottery tickets was meant to send a message to the major lottery traders that their contracts with the GLO would not be renewed and their lottery quota would be taken back by GLO.

The quota of 43 million lottery tickets will be the subject of discussion at the first meeting of the new GLO board on Friday.

Customs chief Mr Somchai Sajjapong who is chairman of the GLO board explained that the pumping on lottery tickets was meant to remind all those involved in lottery trading that a ticket must not be priced more than 80 baht apiece.

He insisted that retailers could still make five baht profit per ticket if the ticket was sold at 80 baht.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/glo-looks-set-claim-back-43-million-lottery-tickets/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-08-22

Get rid of the whole corrupt apology of a lottery!

the whole thing needs to be scrapped and modernised

There may have been infrastructure issues in the past but not now, Thailand is well served with a communication network that could now support an electronic distribution network

Time to move into the 21st century

• Like 2

There may have been infrastructure issues in the past but not now, Thailand is well served with a communication network that could now support an electronic distribution network

Yes. But what to do about the sellers, the people who earn their living at the last stage selling the tickets. Automated computerized sales will put sales in the hands of 7/11 (CP All).

• Like 2

Then the only thing in the 21st century would be the lottery coffee1.gif

Simple tell them that if they do not tow the line they will introduce a new system as used in many other countries where they buy a ticket at a shop, so the retailers will be out of a job.

I am sure Camelot would be happy to tender for the contract and I am sure Thai's would love to chose their lucky numbers.

When the NCPO can't get this one straightened up, who'd hope the serious matters will be taken care of, the more so in a durable way...? Going back to 'business as usual', are you, Thailand? The reign of greed and corruption, forever? When so, then, in reality, you were, and you still are colonised, dear Thailand, and IMO it's going to get worse, with not only the Chinese from inside ruling over you, but big brother China telling you what to do and what not to. The rest for me is just the art of Thai puppetry, shadows and masks. Poor, good, real Thai people...

Any number of foreign companies with decades of experience of running lotteries willing to put it up for them in a completely transparent and efficient manner.

But then, of course that would proabably be classed as gambling and make it instantly illegal.

Just make it completely illegal for anyone to sell the thing for more than its face value, and open a hotline where the entrant can win 10,000 baht if they call the hotline.

dah dah. A lottery to break corruption. That anti-corrutpion lottery. The clean it up lottery, you can clean up too!...The 80 baht cash cleaner lottery! The u can clean up thailand lottery! The thai love thailand lottery!

This isn't hard people. Just bloody do it. Ah of course. A stamp. That will stop it.

As usual its the middle men that are making all the profits,for doing nothing,

its says 80 bht on a ticket,so why are they not for sale at that price,thats one

reason i would not buy them,another is the cost of the ticket Vs the prize money

then the chances of winning,also the way the numbers are drawn,I feel could be and

have been in the past subject to fraud.

So everything about the Lottery stinks,and needs a complete overhaul.

regards Worgeordie

" why are they not for sale at that price,thats one reason i would not buy them,another is the cost of the ticket Vs the prize money"

It's a lottery. Claiming some indepth analysis based on money paid versus potential winnings suggests a ridiculous attempt to place the whole concept into terms of investment rather than the irrational gambling that it is. If you pay Baht 100 fully expecting you'll never see the 100 baht again, it's just entertainment. If you seriously will or won't buy a ticket because you think its payout isn't up to your standards, you really are delusional.

I don't know what the odds are for the Thai lottery (I think the odds are printed on the ticket but in print too small for me the cope with), but back in Farang Land the chances of winning the jackpot in Powerball are something like 175 million to one and yet there's no shortage of people playing it. Anyone thinking that or any other lottery is a better investment than the Thai lottery is just being silly.

And the height of lunacy (or is it Loonie-see) seems to go to Canadians:

Lottery, inheritance part of many Canadians' financial plans: poll

TORONTO — One-third of Canadian respondents to a new survey admit their financial plans include counting on a future injection of good luck, either by winning the lottery or receiving a large inheritance.

post-145917-0-31656900-1408693552_thumb.

Yes. But what to do about the sellers, the people who earn their living at the last stage selling the tickets. Automated computerized sales will put sales in the hands of 7/11 (CP All).

The whole concept of a lottery whether in Thailand or wherever is ridiculous since it holds out the prospect of big winnings for a small "investment" when the odds are astronomically against ever even getting back the money you waste. Despite knowing the odds, for most of us dropping a hundred baht a couple of times a month is equivalent to change lost behind the sofa cushions. I would rather pay out the 100 baht than worry about the extra Baht 20 going into the pockets of someone in a wheelchair who has no other way to make a living.

Practically speaking, I guess it would be better for all concerned if I just gave the 100 baht to the seller and didn't bother about taking a ticket.

In any "normal" country, the lottery is not really news and if it is, it is because Jo the window cleaner and his missus have won the jackpot and will be able to buy the house of their dreams.

Here in Thailand, over the last couple of decades, I have been treated to story after story of fixing, political families making millions on each draw by simply receiving so many million tickets and then selling them on at a profit of 5 baht per ticket, officials involved in skullduggery, fake tickets, overcharging, very odd and unlikely numbers coming up, etc, etc.

The corruption and cheating is so consistent and the payouts so low that you wonder who is stupid enough to keep buying the tickets.

• Like 1

CP waiting in the wings for the Lottery Sales to be transferred to 7/11.

Been waiting a long time, could be waiting a lot more. Some might say till hell freezes over.

Too many vested interests and we haven't even started on the illegal lottery!

next numbers are 6 3 4 dont tell anyone as only our family know about the dream my mother in law had last night...i would bet someone will buy these numbers now as it is a great way to get rich quick,,the dream must be right sometime and she has one every month...facepalm.gif

CP waiting in the wings for the Lottery Sales to be transferred to 7/11.

No doubt. I don't know why Thailand doesn't just privatise everything and give it all to CP to run. I mean, they could issue everyone with a 7-11, Makro, True and other card to interact with the govt from birth.

The Lottery is rigged by companies....you got it....that are partly owned by military members (three big companies that buy the lion's share). The tickets are prepaid -- meaning the big companies keep tickets and end up winning the lottery half the time -- that's why winners names are not announced. The lottery companies are recovering their protected costs by winning. What a great scam! And this has been going on since w a y before the dreaded T brought corruption to this land of virtue.

And the lowly vendors have to buy the tickets -- buy them -- so there is no way to reduce costs. Fifty unsold tickets is a fifty ticket cost.

That's why the tickets cost so much. The vendors know about how many tickets they sell each day, and run prices accordingly. And no one can blame them. It is corruption in plain sight, and able to be remedied...and, well, not being remedied. "We can't catch all the bad guys," the good General said, and meaning "we won't catch our bad guy allies".

It's very simple really. It is corruption at its best, and rips off Thais every week, and has been ripping them off for decades -- yes decades.

Not so Amazing Thailand