New Requirements for Thai License?

matt111

Went to Koh Samui driving / transport department this morning will what I thought was the docs (valid and original uk photocard license, original uk english counterpart paper, medical cert, passport, certificate of residence, originals and copies 2x of everything) to be told by counter staff that since 1st June they now require either:

a] License to be stamped by your embassy (im pretty sure embassy would be reluctant to stamp original dvla doc, and how they stamp a photocard i dont know)

or

b] International license (which i believe they mean one of those mickey mouse IDPs from the AA for six quid)

Is this requirement country-wide? And of course no logic to it, counter staff goes back to headphones and facebook, I guess samui have mis-interpreted the rules and it should be copies of license should be stamped (if in absence of original) or something to that effect.

Can I apply elsewhere? Id rather take a drive than deal with them again, frustrating, seem so happy to knock me back.

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1

Normally if you don't have the IDP then you need to take the test in full. Note: I am aware that some offices will accept the photo card license on it's own, but the IDP is a requirement and can be enforced (if you don't want to take the test).

totster smile.png

Edited by Totster

Not to hijack your thread ....I was there yesterday too, got my "5 year renewed" even after it expired but not more than a year, and I found the following to be true. Speaking with several Thais they too have new regulations to follow and it applies to everyone Thai or Foreigner. I did ask specific questions to the procedure.

For everyone at Koh Samui, show up before 10 AM wear "Long Pants" no exceptions or you will not be admitted. Go to Window ONE take a number if they are available if needed. Have all your paper work but don't offer it all. Only what they ask for. Best if you show up earlier because testing starts at 10 AM. Window One will tell you what time you will need to be on the Second Floor if all the documentation is correct.

Now this applies for the 5 year renewal only:

For Thais: They need their current Drivers License with Thai ID card, and House Book ( some need it some don't.. No clue why.) & 605Baht

For Foreigners you need to show your Passport and have a copy which you will sign, a Letter from Immigration verifying your Thai address, International Drivers license, or previous Thai Drivers license. If you don't have an IDL then a copy of your countries DL certified by Embassy as being valid. And 605 Baht.

I specifically ask why a copy of my current California License was not needed. They said it was not "Embassy certified" plus I already had a Thai license so it was not needed.

Also have a Doctor's Signed Medical Letter saying you can drive if you have a medical condition in case the inspector detects as a problem such as a limp or paralysis of a limb, etc. Don't offer any more information than they request. It usually only complicates things as I witnessed yesterday. Just hand them what they ask for.

Transportation Department has the choice of how to examine you. So everything is subject to change without notice. Just go with it don't argue.

For a "first time" 5 year license (one year on the day it expires) you only take the 2 color blindness, reaction, perception tests. (4 tests) You "may" have to sit through a one hour safety movie which has English subtitles in "white lettering" which is impossible to read most of the time. No written exam afterwards.

Examiner made an announcement at 9:30 for "First Time 5 Year" and about 12 people went in and they only did the 4 basic tests and left.

Then at 10 AM he announced "5 year renewals" next and about 35 of us went in a watched a safety movie as I described earlier. After the movie we were administered the 4 tests and if you passed you when down to Window 2 gave them your newly signed paperwork, paid 605Baht, had your picture taken, and received your new 5 Year License. That process time is dependent on how many people passed. If you do not pass any part of the 4 tests they have you come back the next day to try again. Saw several who failed and they were told to return the next day. Report to Window One and get your paperwork back and then go back upstairs before 10AM.

If your "5 year License" has expired for more than a year, you will need to take the written test also. And you start over with a "one year license" according to the inspector.

Now it's time to tale a Nap!!!