Investigating getting my pick up chipped.

Histavia

I think these little diesels are sufficiently strong enough for a chip or reprograming. I'm certainly not in the position to turn mine into a hot rod, wish I was. Probably a good thing I'm a long ways from the drag strip in Bangkok. The '02 Camaro SS had 2 different engine blocks. One was rumored to be better than the other, I had that one but could never verify fact or fiction. I know one thing, it ran and ran good and I never hurt it, although it took it's fair share of abuse. They were built strong, not as strong as today's LS9's but strong. Mine stayed basically stock. Changed the MAF, K&N filter, opened the practically useless hood scoop opening a bit, added subframe connectors, a bit of suspension change, lowered the thermostat, hand held reprogrammer, Nito's, I ordered with the high performance exhaust package. I just didn't have the money to take it further. There weren't any other "stock" SS's that beat it. My long time friend and engine shop builder (had some NHRA/AHRA record holders) practically begged me to let them work it over. If he would have sponsered I would have. Dyno tuning, a few mods, probably 3.73 in the rear end, easy 11's. Turbo or superchanrge, who knows then. Of course then have to install roll bar. I have to envy transam, hell of a build.

I was working on getting my 2 ton 76 dinosaur into the tens on street tyres, but shit happened and that was that. But, fond memories that I cannot forget. I do miss my Trans..........sad.png

post-41816-0-33470400-1408861263_thumb.j

somebody here doesn't seem to like hot rodders very much. You stick to your bicycle, I'll take my hot rods, just don't wander into my part of the road.

Surely you mean track and don't forget to turn you baseball cap around. lol

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

somebody here doesn't seem to like hot rodders very much. You stick to your bicycle, I'll take my hot rods, just don't wander into my part of the road.

Surely you mean track and don't forget to turn you baseball cap around. lol

jb1

Turning the cap round really is bah.gif , never understood that, is it cool..?

Nope, I mean road. I've never worn a baseball cap except on the shooting range to keep the sun out of my eyes, and it had a shield on it. Therefore I don't turn around what I don't wear and wouldn't if I could. Opps, forgot I sometimes wear fishing. I may speak and act at times like a real redneck, if I do around you, you've made a mistake, get my drift. I did wear a cowboy hat, as you can see in my avatar, it works real well in shielding glare when I'm looking through the scope. Now can we get back to what the non-trolls are interested in, increasing speed, power and mileage in their pick-up trucks. Oh yea, and good music.

• Like 1

I couldn't find the Thai website. Here is the reply I just got from tdi:

Hello Wayne,

Thanks for your email. As you mentioned, your Chevy has the same engine as ISUZU / HOLDEN and is compatible with our exclusive CRTD2® and CRTD2® TWIN Channel systems. Our micro-processor controlled digital systems will increase your Power output whilst increasing your Torque and Improving your Fuel Efficiency.

We pre-program all of our tuning systems in order to ensure that your vehicle runs at optimal performance whilst ensuring that your engine control devices are still in full control. The CRTD2® system optimises Fuel Injection whereas the CRTD2® TWIN Channel optimises Turbo Boost and Fuel Injection in order to provide a broader and wider Power and Torque Curve allowing for better utilisation of the significant amount of wasted energy which is not harvested by the standard vehicle configuration.

Engineered as a "Life System", the CRTD2® and CRTD2® TWIN Channel systems can be re-programmed to suit another vehicle when you decide to change to another car, van or truck in the future.

This CRTD2® system can be viewed on our website by clicking the following link: http://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/car_and_van_diesel_tuning_boxes/holden/colorado/28_197_bhp__200_ps__147_kw__automatic/crtd2_diesel_tuning_box_holden_colorado_28_197_bhp_200_ps_147_kw_automatic_P8073.html

This CRTD2® TWIN Channel system can be viewed on our website by clicking the following link: http://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/car_and_van_diesel_tuning_boxes/holden/colorado/28_197_bhp__200_ps__147_kw__automatic/crtd2_twin_channel_diesel_tuning_box_holden_colorado_28_197_bhp_200_ps_147_kw_automatic_P8074.html

Had an oops, the rest:

All of our tuning systems can be removed without trace and are completely undetectable when removed. Installation is extremely easy and to make things even easier, this system is completely "Plug & Play" ensuring there are absolutely no cables to be cut. We also only use genuine manufacturer original connectors which match your vehicle in order to guarantee easy installation. All of our products come with full easy to follow pictorial English installation instructions, a full 14 Day Money Back Guarantee and a 3 Year Warranty.

All products are provided with free shipping and are available for next working day delivery. We are exceptionally proud of our products and service. We hope that this information has been of use, if you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us or out Thai Distributor at : +66850559976 (TOP) or +66910764734 (Somphot). Also, our Thai dealer located at 358 Soi. Amonphan 4 Viphavadee Rangsit Rd. Lardyao Bangkok 10900.

Had an oops, the rest: All of our tuning systems can be removed without trace and are completely undetectable when removed. Installation is extremely easy and to make things even easier, this system is completely "Plug & Play" ensuring there are absolutely no cables to be cut. We also only use genuine manufacturer original connectors which match your vehicle in order to guarantee easy installation. All of our products come with full easy to follow pictorial English installation instructions, a full 14 Day Money Back Guarantee and a 3 Year Warranty. All products are provided with free shipping and are available for next working day delivery. We are exceptionally proud of our products and service. We hope that this information has been of use, if you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us or out Thai Distributor at : +66850559976 (TOP) or +66910764734 (Somphot). Also, our Thai dealer located at 358 Soi. Amonphan 4 Viphavadee Rangsit Rd. Lardyao Bangkok 10900.

This is part of what I got back from TDI UK

We have an official distributor in Thailand who will be able to assist you. All of our software is written in the UK and then sent to each global dealer depending on the customers exact requirements. Essentially, the product you receive is programmed here in the UK and then distributed locally from our authorised global dealer. In this case, our Thai dealer SKB Top Tuning is located in Bangkok and will certainly be able to look after you. Using a local distributor will allow you to “Try before you buy” and benefit from an Installation service for your peace of mind.

If you would like to provide us with your exact vehicle make, model & power rating, we will ensure that you are provided with a full comprehensive set of performance data to suit your exact requirements. If you have already blanked off your EGR Valve, we can take this in consideration when programming your tuning file for you.

I did find their (SKB) web site but can't find it again now!! You can get info from their Facebook though... just google ... I think I saw the UK price of the basic unit at just under 300GBP.

I don't do "social media". I'll give them a call and see what develops. The "tuner" is a bit expensive, almost 500 USD, it would take some time to gain that back in mileage gains, but the enjoyment of having an engine run like it should have from the factory makes up for part of it. Not sure I want to try driving any where near BKK but having a distributor to help with the install would be nice, if not too much of an added cost.

Is there no one in Bangkok doing custom remaps rather than chipping?

I had my Honda Accord CDTi 2.2 remapped in the UK to 192BHP, when I was having the clutch replaced, put an organic clutch, but the map was customised to the car, on a roller.

I could have bought an off the shelf generic map for the car, for a bit less, but I felt the money was well spent ~300 GBP.

Is there no one in Bangkok doing custom remaps rather than chipping?

I had my Honda Accord CDTi 2.2 remapped in the UK to 192BHP, when I was having the clutch replaced, put an organic clutch, but the map was customised to the car, on a roller.

I could have bought an off the shelf generic map for the car, for a bit less, but I felt the money was well spent ~300 GBP.

Lots apparently .

http://www.ecu-shop.com/

https://th-th.facebook.com/ecushop1

http://www.ecuthailand.com/

Having just watched some of vids in the first link I do believe "ECU" might just be the "go to" people. All the way to Dallas Motorplex, a great drag strip btw, and the last I watched 7.9 in a 3L not quite stock Isuzu. They need a Red Bull type sponsor, but must have had a lot of baht behind that trip. A year late but way to go guys.

Having just watched some of vids in the first link I do believe "ECU" might just be the "go to" people. All the way to Dallas Motorplex, a great drag strip btw, and the last I watched 7.9 in a 3L not quite stock Isuzu. They need a Red Bull type sponsor, but must have had a lot of baht behind that trip. A year late but way to go guys.

Not for me...............w00t.gif

I saw the racechip products for sale in R-Style racing in MBK the other week. They also seem to have some form of online purchasing, but mostly in Thai. They have a website rstyleracing.com

Another option again for Racechip is go into facebook and search for Racechip Thailand. There are some contact details on the About tab.

Cheers

Litlos, on 01 Sept 2014 - 01:06, said:

I saw the racechip products for sale in R-Style racing in MBK the other week. They also seem to have some form of online purchasing, but mostly in Thai. They have a website rstyleracing.com

Another option again for Racechip is go into facebook and search for Racechip Thailand. There are some contact details on the About tab.

Cheers

Yes quite easy to find the link in racingweb.net/forum/threads/921892 ,,, the basic chip is on promotion for 11000Baht! ... I think that is more than 129Euros which is the price for delivery anywhere in the EU ... you just need a visiting friend.

I'm quite happy with mine basic chip.

• 3 years later...

I raced prostreet diesel in North america for 5 years and have been tuning diesel motors since 2005. took a stock 6.6L Duramax and made it into a 1420 RWHP fuel only machine.

if your diesel is blowing black smoke its not running efficiantly, its simply over fueld and you EGTs suffer, inturn you will burn up valve train and scorch your pistons. If it rattles like a tractor you have to much timing and well have to much cyl pressure. it will burn it up.

I tune the ECM/TCM of 2.5L Chevys here as a hobby of mine, I own a 2017 trailblazer with a twin turbo setup that i built. I personally dont worry about warranty as i can fix what ever i break myself. My friends vehicles i tune, i only add around 40 RWHP. They get better fuel mileage due to the TCM tuning and more efficiant ECM i do and have more passing power. My Blazer is running 100hp over for over 60 000 km now, i can raise it but i love the way it drives as is and still have stock everything except for the intercooler that i blew when i first installed the second turbo.

If you are buying a tuner, chip, programmer here are things to consider:

- Can you read clear DTCs

- how many things does it adjust Eg: fuel pressure, pulse width, timing, boost, vane posistion of turbo, EGR funtions,    TCM tables.  Obviously the more the better.

-Is your tuning switable on the fly.

- Can you upgrade for free.

- Is it a CANNED tune or is it actually custom tuned your vehicle.

- Can you log it while driving,monoitor your timing, boost, pulse width and temps.

I guess in closing, i dont like stock anything, is it worth it to tune it? Depends on the tuning. but 99% of men love horse power. so ya its worth it!