How can Cambodian stay in Thai

Hi guys, sorry for not being clear. I am not a thai national, just a standard parang, and under Cambodia law cannot legally marry. So looks as if border runs are the only option.

Thanks. td

In theory, one could marry outside Cambodia, and Thailand would recognize the marriage. That is easier said than done, because one would need to get married in a country that requires no documents like "affirmation of freedom to marry", Australia is one. That even before all other issues like visa, travel, etc.

More practically, if she could find a willing employer she would be able to stay legally.

I was not aware it was that hard for a foreigner to get married in Cambodia.

It might be possible to get married here. You should be able to get an affirmation of permit to marry from your embassy.

No sure how difficult it would be for your partner to get one from the Cambodian embassy.

After getting those is just a matter of getting translated to Thai and having them certified by the Ministry fo Foreign Affairs.

Then going to a Amphoe and registering your marriage.

It is not just hard, it is impossible for men over 50 or earning less than $2,500 a month

http://cambodia.usembassy.gov/getting_married_in_cambodia.html

It might be possible to get married here. You should be able to get an affirmation of permit to marry from your embassy.

No sure how difficult it would be for your partner to get one from the Cambodian embassy.

Cambodia does not recognize marriage done in a foreign country. For this reason they do not issue any document supporting it.

Yes, understand the hoops, and there are many, l am a male, well over the 50 limit, have no possibility of marriage, as western way, with papers and registration, in or out of Cambodia, and really marriage is not on my horizon anyway, have son with said partner, prefer to move from Cambodia, have 2 options, Thailand or Malaysia, but both probably require border runs for partner, and with the latest crack down that may no longer be an option.

Yes, understand the hoops, and there are many, l am a male, well over the 50 limit, have no possibility of marriage, as western way, with papers and registration, in or out of Cambodia, and really marriage is not on my horizon anyway, have son with said partner, prefer to move from Cambodia, have 2 options, Thailand or Malaysia, but both probably require border runs for partner, and with the latest crack down that may no longer be an option.

Another possibility for Thailand that still open, is an ED visa and extension, with all its limitation.

Edited by paz

It is not just hard, it is impossible for men over 50 or earning less than $2,500 a month

http://cambodia.usembassy.gov/getting_married_in_cambodia.html

Cambodia does not recognize marriage done in a foreign country. For this reason they do not issue any document supporting it.

I'm in a similar position with my Laos girlfriend (except she's pregnant). Marrying in Laos is too lengthy, expensive and risky and we can't marry in Thailand as the Laos Consulate won't issue the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry. We're looking at the UK (I'm British), Hong Kong or Vegas! At least when we're married she should be able to remain in Thailand and have our baby here.

Good luck.

The thought has occurred to me of a possible solution and l would be interested to hear opinions as to the viability please.

If we were to spend a month in Thailand, then a month in Cambodia, and so on, would this pass muster? I realize that it is all down to individual officer's, rather than set in writing, but in our case it is doable since there is family in Siem reap as a place to stay on alternate months. Thank to all who have replied so far, any other suggestions very welcome. Regards td