Retirement Visa refused from UK

About agents: Just talked to a friend of mine who used the services of an agent recently, and was quite pleased. For 6500 baht, the agent submitted the paperwork and two passports (Canadian), and the CM Immigration people transferred the stamps and approved his annual retirement extension all within 24 hours. He did not have to appear in person. So, apparently it's still possible.

Extension of stay is Bt 1,900 and stamp transfer is free. Both are done the same day, not 24hr.

Your friend paid Bt, 4,600 to someone for going to an office. Minimum monthly salary in Thailand is Bt. 9,000.

Then people wondesr why many Thais think that foreigners are stupid.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: When one does a 'change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry' at the Thai immigration office ... is the proof of the financial status (800k Baht / 65k Baht income / Embassy income letter) required at the time of applying for the visa change of status to an 90 day non imm. O visa? ...

OR is it only required later when applying for an Extension of Stay based on Retirement?

or both?

As I wrote financial proof is needed for both.

The only difference is that the money only has to be in the bank for the change of visa status not for 60 days. When doing the extension it has to there for 60 days.

Thank you ... one fine point of clarification - if you please. I am just trying to get this procedure / process down so mistakes can be avoided... The financial proof at the time of 'applying for change of visa status to get a 90 day non imm. O isa at the Thai immigration office, the funds (although 'unseasoned) would need to be a Thai bank, a home country bank or in any bank - as long as the financial proof was held to be sufficient?

The money has to be in a Thai bank in your name only to do the change.

This is the first I've heard about evidence of funds in foreign (or rather home country) banks being used for a retirement visa.

Can anyone else verify this?

I agree , I am not allowed to use my money in my Australian acc , has to be in a Thai bank, as far as I know this has not changed .

come to thailand & get your 30days upon entry. go to a visa agent who will for a fee get your retirement visa in 1day. no muss, no fuss.....

no muss no fuss, other than the fact it will cost between 35-49000 baht, well that's what I have been offered so far.

No needs for funds in the bank and they only need your passport for 1 day. All legit, and what with theses crackdowns don't be surprised if the visa is cancelled at any time and you get thrown in jail.

no muss no fuss.

About agents: Just talked to a friend of mine who used the services of an agent recently, and was quite pleased. For 6500 baht, the agent submitted the paperwork and two passports (Canadian), and the CM Immigration people transferred the stamps and approved his annual retirement extension all within 24 hours. He did not have to appear in person. So, apparently it's still possible.

I mentioned the outrageous amount this poster was quoted, and he told me that he had heard that some agents have a "service" in which they lend you 800,000 baht to place in an untouchable account for the two months of "seasoning," (ridiculous expression) so that you meet the financial requirement, if only on dubious paper. This doesn't sound exactly wholesome to me, but desperation is a strong motivator.

These agents do not leave the money in an untouchable account for 2 months. They put the money into your own account for a day at most, they keep your passport the whole time the money is in your account. As soon as you have the visa the money is taken back out.

I shall be doing my own visa now, which I expect will cost no more than 4-5000 baht including embassy letter.

This is the first I've heard about evidence of funds in foreign (or rather home country) banks being used for a retirement visa.

Can anyone else verify this?

I agree , I am not allowed to use my money in my Australian acc , has to be in a Thai bank, as far as I know this has not changed .

For the VISA money can be in your home country.

For Extension of stay it's Thailand

Isn't one of the OP's points that since he's getting non-pension income he's deemed not to eligible for a retirement visa using the "income" option. I've not heard of this being enforced before as I have several friends who use this one and they still get income from consulting etc.

Using income from consulting for a retirement visa----------- but "consulting" is work so how come that income is satisfactory for a ret visa??? Am I missing something here???????

I don't use an agent for retirement , easy and takes 15 minutes when you sit down with the right paperwork .I used an agent in Laos for my wife when I saw the very long line at the consulate . 3000 baht very well spent .

I have funds in the bank for the 3 months and also have the income .biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

" I am 51 and explained that it would be illegal in the UK for me to be collecting any kind of UK pension (55 is the earliest). "

What about my military pension that I started getting at the age of 40 ? I that illegal ? What a load of tosh your above statement is !

• Like 1

Surprised that they do not provide 365 days retirement visa in the UK ...

At least the Thai Embassy in Berlin and the General Consulate in Frankfurt issue Non-Immigrant-O-A visa.

You have either to show them a pension statement > 1.500 EUR monthly or prove with 3 bank statements that you have funds of > 20.000 EUR.

(For O-S or O-M it is only > 1.200 EUR p.m. Or 4.000 funds)

They are stating: "for pensioners only", however, if you are eg. a former business owner without pension, fulfilling the funds clause should close the deal...

Source: http://www.thaiembassy.de/de/visa (just translate it with Google translator)

Edited by BernieOnTour

At least the Thai Embassy in Berlin and the General Consulate in Frankfurt issue Non-Immigrant-O-A visa.

You have either to show them a pension statement > 1.500 monthly or prove with 3 bank statements that you have funds of > 20.000 .

(For O-S or O-M it is only > 1.200 p.m.)

Source: http://www.thaiembassy.de/de/visa (just translate it with Google translator)

Of course, as mentioned before, it is provided in the UK.

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/51

• Like 1

Extension of stay is Bt 1,900 and stamp transfer is free. Both are done the same day, not 24hr.

That depends on where you have it done and what time you start.

In Jomtien it takes me 24 hours because I never go in the morning. I paid 1900B, of course.

Then people wondesr why many Thais think that foreigners are stupid.

Indeed.

You have either to show them a pension statement > 1.500 monthly or prove with 3 bank statements that you have funds of > 20.000 .

(For O-S or O-M it is only > 1.200 p.m.)

Of course, as mentioned before, it is provided in the UK.

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/51

Thanks for the verification!

[*]I don't care how you put it I have a retirement visa and extend it every year . To say I renewed my extension is too much work , after all I am retired .

We don't care how you put it. There is no visa that can be extended.

You can only extend a permission to stay.

You can get new visas as often as the Thai embassy's will let you.

You can extend permissions to stay, as long as you full fill the requirements, as long as immigration lets you, for some permissions to stay that can be as long as you live.

Err, seems the joke got lost on you. I thought it was funny 555.

The OP is wrong - the minimum pensionable age in the UK is thirty-five.

You are wrong. A serving member of the UK Armed Forces, Police, Fire Service etc can and do receive pensions at any age if they get injured in the course of their duty and are assessed as unfit for continued service.

Edited by watso63

Many civil service personnel and medically retired people below 55 years of age

Not forgetting the fire service. But in the UK these jobs then have a private pension, The age for government pension is 65 and soon to be raised.

The last time I checked, my war pension was being paid by the government through a company called EQUINITI PAYMASTER (why, I don't know and I don't care as long as it goes into my bank every month)

Thank you ubonjoe for answering my two rather tedious questions posted on this topic thread. I now have a good understanding of changing of visa category and proving up financials and related subjects... The information will be useful in helping a friend who does not seem to want to grasp the need to deal with technicalities and it will be helpful to me in my own situation in the future...

You are wrong. A serving member of the UK Armed Forces, Police, Fire Service etc can and do receive pensions at any age if they get injured in the course of their duty and are assessed as unfit for continued service.

Depending of course on the extent of their injuries, not all receive a pension. More and more are being fobbed off with a lump sum payment.

Slighly off topic, so apologies.

Depending of course on the extent of their injuries, not all receive a pension. More and more are being fobbed off with a lump sum payment.

Slighly off topic, so apologies.

I did say "can".

Retirement Visa

do they retire in thailand? in my village nobody has enough money to do it, also the government give 500 baths a mounth to old people only

now tell me:

1)in europe who can retire at 50?

2) who has enough money to retire defenitly at 50?

3) do you really think that a real rich person who has enough money will honestly retire in thailand ?

4)what is the concept of retired in thailand? only the fact that you can show 800 000 baths in a bank and you are over 50 ?

to me the visas in thailand should be revoqued to give them a new name more in accordance with the reality

also people who are married with a thai person should have a status and a real visa to stay here and work too..like every where in the world....not this stupid non immigrant visa....who doesnt mean anything. of course we are immigrant.

when you leave your own country to go to live in an another one , then you become an immigrant....only in thailand this doesnt mean the same.

coffee1.gif

Of course there are people from Europe that can retire when they are 50-55 years old. When you apply for the non O based on retirement in my home country, then you have to show proof and papers that you actually are retired.

I became a retired soldier aged 41 years old with a pension. I could live in the UK on it, but it would be a miserable existence, or I could (and do) live here with a great big cheshire cat smile on my face and count my blessings. Thank you Buddha :-)

Talk about contradicting yourself on the same thread - so tell me - who can legally retire in the UK at 35?

Retirement Visa

do they retire in thailand? in my village nobody has enough money to do it, also the government give 500 baths a mounth to old people only

now tell me:

1)in europe who can retire at 50?

2) who has enough money to retire defenitly at 50?

3) do you really think that a real rich person who has enough money will honestly retire in thailand ?

4)what is the concept of retired in thailand? only the fact that you can show 800 000 baths in a bank and you are over 50 ?

to me the visas in thailand should be revoqued to give them a new name more in accordance with the reality

also people who are married with a thai person should have a status and a real visa to stay here and work too..like every where in the world....not this stupid non immigrant visa....who doesnt mean anything. of course we are immigrant.

when you leave your own country to go to live in an another one , then you become an immigrant....only in thailand this doesnt mean the same.

coffee1.gif

Of course there are people from Europe that can retire when they are 50-55 years old. When you apply for the non O based on retirement in my home country, then you have to show proof and papers that you actually are retired.
I became a retired soldier aged 41 years old with a pension. I could live in the UK on it, but it would be a miserable existence, or I could (and do) live here with a great big cheshire cat smile on my face and count my blessings. Thank you Buddha :-)

Talk about contradicting yourself on the same thread - so tell me - who can legally retire in the UK at 35?

If I'd have been injured at 30 years old instead of 39, I would have been retired at 32.

come to thailand & get your 30days upon entry. go to a visa agent who will for a fee get your retirement visa in 1day. no muss, no fuss.....

no muss no fuss, other than the fact it will cost between 35-49000 baht, well that's what I have been offered so far.

No needs for funds in the bank and they only need your passport for 1 day. All legit, and what with theses crackdowns don't be surprised if the visa is cancelled at any time and you get thrown in jail.

no muss no fuss.

Rubbish. You are being ripped off blind and if you accepted 35-49000 then you're a fool too.

12 grand to have an extension to my visa B 3 years ago, 30 to 60 minutes later, on my way home.

No muss, no fuss. Pm for more details. I've helped a few on here already. :-)

no muss no fuss.

Rubbish. You are being ripped off blind and if you accepted 35-49000 then you're a fool too.

12 grand to have an extension to my visa B 3 years ago, 30 to 60 minutes later, on my way home.

No muss, no fuss. Pm for more details. I've helped a few on here already. :-)

Far from being ripped off it has saved me money. I would have been happy to pay 10 to 15,000, but am now going to do it myself. Should cost no more than 5000.

Yes I know I could pay the extra money as you did and get someone to do it for me. But I'm retired and have nothing else to do.

The joys of sarcasm huh.

Getting your Retirement Visa in Thailand is easy, I did it 5 years ago, came in on a 30 day, went to Jomtien Immigration and extended to 90 day. Then applied for Retirement Visa. I had all my paper work, Police Report from Aus, Dr Certificate, 2 Aus Pension Statements, Photo Copies of Passport, Photo's and TM47 filled in. When I went to make sure i had all i needed was told, Police report. Not Want, DR Cirt. Not Want. Take your Pension Statements to Aus Embasy in Bangkok get them photo copied sign certified copy. Back to Immigration handed paperwork in, part with fee, back next day and Passport Stamped with 1 year visa, Now all I do is fill in a Australian Statuary Declaration Form stating my income, get my Embassy to copy and sign certified copy. and reapply every year. Income in your case Thai Bank statement. Good Luck

See link below

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/retirementvisachecklist.pdf

http://www.apply-thai-visa.com/thailand-retirement-visa.html

You could have saved all that hassle by going to one of the visa agents on soi buakaew, paying the fee and picking your passport up a few hours later. 12-14 grand, job done.