Retirement Visa refused from UK

Just went into the London embassy this morning and was refused a retirement visa.

My bank statements show income from a number of sources and for different amounts. I explained that I was a semi-retired consultant on some retainers and some commissions so the amounts varied from month to month. After checking with boss, she came back and told me that as I was still "working" I would not be able to have a retirement visa. I either need to show the THB800,000 in a bank (UK or Thai) or show my PENSION income. I am 51 and explained that it would be illegal in the UK for me to be collecting any kind of UK pension (55 is the earliest).

Anyway, she happily recommended a triple entry 60 day tourist visa, which I accepted, as I travel regularly.

I will probably try applying in Bangkok where I expect the "rules" to be a little different.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After you get here you could do a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry, You will need 800k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65K baht income by way of an income letter from the UK embassy.

The after about 60 day you could do the extension of stay. The 800k baht would have to be in the bank for 60 days at this time or you would need another income letter.

Info about getting the income letter: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

This is the first I've heard about evidence of funds in foreign (or rather home country) banks being used for a retirement visa.

Can anyone else verify this?

The requirement for an O-A visa in Sydney was for a statement showing the equivalent of 800,000 baht in an Australian account (in my own name only) plus a letter of guarantee from the bank.

I transfered AUD30,000 from a joint account into a new account thirty days prior to applying for the visa in January 2014. The money can stay in that Australian account until I need to season it in Thailand for my first extension in the latter half of 2015.

At to-days rate (53) 800,000bht is just on GBP 15,000---I am not trying to be smart, but if you can not put that into a bank in the country you want to spend most of the year in,

(at a higher interest rate than the UK if you don't want to draw on it) Should you really be thinking about relocating.

Things do happen here----you do need funds to draw on.

• Like 2

After you get here you could do a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry, You will need 800k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65K baht income by way of an income letter from the UK embassy.

The after about 60 day you could do the extension of stay. The 800k baht would have to be in the bank for 60 days at this time or you would need another income letter.

Info about getting the income letter: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

Question: When one does a 'change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry' at the Thai immigration office ... is the proof of the financial status (800k Baht / 65k Baht income / Embassy income letter) required at the time of applying for the visa change of status to an 90 day non imm. O visa? ...

OR is it only required later when applying for an Extension of Stay based on Retirement?

or both?

Isn't one of the OP's points that since he's getting non-pension income he's deemed not to eligible for a retirement visa using the "income" option. I've not heard of this being enforced before as I have several friends who use this one and they still get income from consulting etc.

• Like 1

This is the first I've heard about evidence of funds in foreign (or rather home country) banks being used for a retirement visa.

Can anyone else verify this?

That would be for a Non-Imm OA visa don't forget, not an extension.

• Like 1

Question: When one does a 'change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry' at the Thai immigration office ... is the proof of the financial status (800k Baht / 65k Baht income / Embassy income letter) required at the time of applying for the visa change of status to an 90 day non imm. O visa? ...

OR is it only required later when applying for an Extension of Stay based on Retirement?

or both?

As I wrote financial proof is needed for both.

The only difference is that the money only has to be in the bank for the change of visa status not for 60 days. When doing the extension it has to there for 60 days.

At to-days rate (53) 800,000bht is just on GBP 15,000---I am not trying to be smart, but if you can not put that into a bank in the country you want to spend most of the year in,

(at a higher interest rate than the UK if you don't want to draw on it) Should you really be thinking about relocating.

Things do happen here----you do need funds to draw on.

just covered my stent 5 years back

I find it amazing wrong information is being allowed to stand on here.

So ubonjoe can you confirm that if I prove I have 800,000 baht ( not sure how I would get 800,000, but that is what is stated) in my UK bank account I should have no problem getting a retirement visa.

You are in agreement that there is no need to have any money in a Thai bank account ???

• Like 1

I find it amazing wrong information is being allowed to stand on here.

So ubonjoe can you confirm that if I prove I have 800,000 baht ( not sure how I would get 800,000, but that is what is stated) in my UK bank account I should have no problem getting a retirement visa.

You are in agreement that there is no need to have any money in a Thai bank account ???

From MFA website requirements for applying for a OA long stay visa at an embassy or official consulate in your home country or country of residence.

"A copy of bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht."

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-(Long-Stay).html

• Like 1

come to thailand & get your 30days upon entry. go to a visa agent who will for a fee get your retirement visa in 1day. no muss, no fuss.....

No muss no fuss but illegal

I've seen these services advertised on ThaiVisa, how can they be illegal, or are they ads that come from google ?

come to thailand & get your 30days upon entry. go to a visa agent who will for a fee get your retirement visa in 1day. no muss, no fuss.....

No muss no fuss but illegal

I've seen these services advertised on ThaiVisa, how can they be illegal, or are they ads that come from google ?

They are from Google. Only adverts from forum sponsors have anything to do with Thai Visa (right side of page).

• Like 1

1. I don't care how you put it I have a retirement visa and extend it every year . To say I renewed my extension is too much work , after all I am retired .clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

How much does it cost you to go thru an agent ? And do you actually have the funds in place for the 60 days needed ?

I have heard that Birmingham is the best place at present

This topic is about getting a OA visa. Those can only be applied for at the embassy in London.

At the moment no consulate can issue a multiple entry non-o visa for retirement unless a person is 65 or over and getting a government pension. Even a single entry non-o for being 50 or over requires financial proof.

I have heard that Birmingham is the best place at present

This topic is abut getting a OA visa. Those can only be applied for at the embassy in London.

At the moment no consulate can issue a multiple entry non-o visa for retirement unless a person is 65 or over and getting a government pension. Even a single entry non-o for being 50 or over requires financial proof.

My apologies was unaware that was happening.

• Like 1

As a matter of interest: Although I have made seven consecutive "retirement" visa applications, only in the last two years has the word "retirement" been an official stamp in my passport 2013 and 2014.

Those of you who got your retirement 'visa' in Thailand don't have a retirement visa - you have an extension to whatever visa you entered the country on. If you want to get a retirement visa from the Thai Embassy in London you do indeed have to have the equivalent of 800,000 Bt or the monthly income equivalent of 65,000 Bt per month as you can see by looking at the Thai Embassy website.

Not correct, you can enter without a Visa and obtain a Type "O" Visa based on retirement at Thai Immigration Chaengwattana.

I entered on a 30 day tourist permission to stay, recieved at swampy. Then after 3 weeks, I went to Immigration Chaengwattana to apply for a Type O Visa. They then gave me a Non-Immigrant Visa (full stamp) Category "O" visa in country based on retirement( the only Visa that is usually actually issued in this country). I then went to another desk and got a 3 months permission to stay stamp. I returned at the end of 3 months and was given a 1 year extension (back dated so 9 months remaining).

Edited by Estrada

I have been staying in Thailand for 7 years with a retirement visa. General Rules are the following:

Apply for the visa only in Thailand.

1) Come to Thailand

- Have a valid passport with a valid visa.

- Have a proof a residence ( condo ownership, rental contract)

- Open a bank account with some money.

- Transfer an amount equivalent to more than 800 000 THB to this bank account (so that you can prove that you have funds enough to live in Thailand), let's say 1000 000 and you keep 800 000 THB for more than 3 months. Or transfer a sufficient amount for the same reason and get the proof that your monthly pension is at least 65 000 THB. You can combine both sytems. When transfers made, ask your bank to give you the money transfer letter which proves that money comes from abroad.

2) timing may be a problem. So go out of Thailand and come back.

Apply for Retirement visa.

You must have:

-valid passport and valid visa.

-certificate from the bank stating the amount of money that you have on a certain day.

-your bank book which will prove that you have kept more than 800 000 THB in your account for more than 3 months or that you have begun to transfer your pension at least 65 000 THB each month for at least 3 months.or a combination of both systems. You must not forget to have the proofs of transfer of any sum from abroad.

-proof of residence

3) Problem is that you need a thai guarantor that the immigration will accept (not a street vendor or a gf).

As to apply for this visa can be risky. My advice is that you do all this through a well known law firm/lawyer.