Buddhist Novel Short-listed For Sea Write Award

sabaijai

My Chiang Mai neighbour and friend Thepsiri Suksopha is one of 10 nominees this year for the annual SEA Write literary award.

According to an announcement in the Bangkok Post, the novel Rang Phra Ruang "uncovers the teachings of Buddha through an interesting narrative in which the story, together with Buddhist philosophy, are gradually unfolded amidst the backdrop of the present society's mistaken interpretation of Buddhism and the trap of material objects of worship."

About a year ago Ajahn Thep told me he was writing this novel, and he described the plot as centring around a man who had decided to enrich himself by creating a series of highly desirable/sacred phra khreuang (Buddhist amulets). Ajahn Thep has already had enquiries from a Thai director who wants to make it into a film.

This idea of Buddhist novels is an appealing one to me. I'll keep an eye open for this latest addition to what appears to be a new trend.

I was particularly inspired by:

The Buddha, Geoff and Me: A Modern Story

by Edward Canfor-Dumas

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1844135...glance&n=266239

It's written from a Mahayanist/Nichiren perspective essentially. Although a lot of the concepts will be familiar across traditions.

What is particularly impressive about this book is that it shows Budddhists as being people not 'otherwordly' , escoteric , mystical or divorced from the real world. But people like you or me with everyday problems to solve in a demanding world. Difficult questions like the Holocaust, for example, are not avoided ; but nor is the book devoid of a sense of humour and essential humanity.

The 'hero' , I suppose you'd call him in a novel, is a window cleaner and Buddhist who the guy in a lot of problems encounters for the first time in a London pub. But there again all those on the path to reveal their Buddhahood are heroes in a sense.

Follow the link for reviews - I wrote the first, not very impressive one - and the chance to order in the UK.

Highly recommended.

This idea of Buddhist novels is an appealing one to me. I'll keep an eye open for this latest addition to what appears to be a new trend.

I was particularly inspired by:

The Buddha, Geoff and Me: A Modern Story

by Edward Canfor-Dumas

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1844135...glance&n=266239

It's written from a Mahayanist/Nichiren perspective essentially. Although a lot of the concepts will be familiar across traditions.

What is particularly impressive about this book is that it shows Budddhists as being people not 'otherwordly' , escoteric , mystical or divorced from the real world. But people like you or me with everyday problems to solve in a demanding world. Difficult questions like the Holocaust, for example, are not avoided ; but nor is the book devoid of a sense of humour and essential humanity.

The 'hero' , I suppose you'd call him in a novel, is a window cleaner and Buddhist who the guy in a lot of problems encounters for the first time in a London pub. But there again all those on the path to reveal their Buddhahood are heroes in a sense.

Follow the link for reviews - I wrote the first, not very impressive one - and the chance to order in the UK.

Highly recommended.

Sounds like a good read. Canfor-Dumas is also author of Buddhism in Daily Life: Introduction to the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin, and is a prominent member of Soka Gakkai International.

"Canfor-Dumas is also author of Buddhism in Daily Life: Introduction to the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin, and is a prominent member of Soka Gakkai International."

Without wanting to appear pedantic. Edward Canfor-Dumas was co-author of Buddhism in Daily Life with the late Richard Causton. In fact the author is actually attributed as being Dick Causton with no mention of Edward Canfor-Dumas in the book itself. I don't know why - but there it is.

Neither is it exactly true to say that Ed is a prominant member of SGI. Soka Gakkai extends to 92 countries (including Thailand) as has over an 50 million members. It may be more accurate to say that Edward Canfor-Dumas is a long standing and well known member within the SGI-UK. As well as also being fairly well known as being a writer of the script for a popular TV series in the UK called 'The Bill'.

However,as you brought up the subject of the highly respected and seminal work on the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin ( Buddhism in Daily Life ) this allows me the opportunity to add that many of the concepts and theories of that book can also be found within the pages of 'The Buddha, Geoff and Me'. Which works well, as they're not only interwoven into the story itself, but explained in a more simple and accesible way than Dick Causton's highly theoretical work - as good as that book may be. But probably not so easy to read for the complete novice ?