Luxury hotel with executive lounge

samui4me

I have just stayed at the Bangkok Marriott on Sukhumvit soi 57(only 30 seconds walk to skytrain).I had a room on executive level,i would highly recommend it.The hotel is classed as 5 star and is less than one year old.

You have access to executive lounge from 06.00 to 24.00 every day.There is a free bar from 17.30 to 21.30 every day(beers,wines,spirits,cocktails available).Also hot snacks during this period.Snacks,fruit and sandwitches also available the rest of the day.

Breakfast is also available from 06.30-10.30 daily.

There is also the JW Marriott on Sukhumvit soi 2 which has same deal for executive lounge but i hav`nt stayed there myself.

I am just curious.... If you have the money to stay in a luxury hotel, why are "free" drinks so important?

If your staying in a hotel paid for by a company, a lot of companies will not pay for itemised alcohol on your hotel or restaurant bills anymore, but they

will upgrade you to a business floor, and "free" drinks & food are usually provided, hence the reason making sure "free" drinks are part of the package, so if your in town for business, its actually a cheap "night out" on the companies cost, in reality the booze is not free, the company is paying for it, its just not on the bill....biggrin.png

if your paying for it yourself, I dont suppose it really matters

• Like 1

I am just curious.... If you have the money to stay in a luxury hotel, why are "free" drinks so important?

If your staying in a hotel paid for by a company, a lot of companies will not pay for itemised alcohol on your hotel or restaurant bills anymore, but they

will upgrade you to a business floor, and "free" drinks & food are usually provided, hence the reason making sure "free" drinks are part of the package, so if your in town for business, its actually a cheap "night out" on the companies cost, in reality the booze is not free, the company is paying for it, its just not on the bill....biggrin.png

Well, except most companies also pay you a daily per diem while traveling. You gotta be pretty darn cheap to collect per diem and then also gouge the company for free snacks and drinks in the Executive Lounge on top of it.

The drinks are not FREE since you pay more for a stay at club floor facepalm.gif

Now when you have status with the hotel chain (like I do) you will get free upgrade to club room with breakfast and lounge access thrown in.

With breakfast valued at 800B pp in a 5* property and xxx for relaxing (drinks and appetizers) it is great value.

A lounge is also a piece of heaven in a 5* property and club rooms will be nicer rooms.

Furthermore you cant stay at a 5* property for around 100 euro/night in Europe or North America.

Well, except most companies also pay you a daily per diem while traveling. You gotta be pretty darn cheap to collect per diem and then also gouge the company for free snacks and drinks in the Executive Lounge on top of it.

Darn ignorant reply I would say bah.gif

I don't think that most of the per diem travellers have much time to visit the executive lounge, free drinks hours often from 17.00 to 19.00).

I worked an traveled for several companies and rarely walked out of a city office before 20.00h

None would accept overtime sheets (part of the job and salary boss would say) and per diem never was generous.

Darn ignorant reply I would say bah.gif

I don't think that most of the per diem travellers have much time to visit the executive lounge, free drinks hours often from 17.00 to 19.00).

I worked an traveled for several companies and rarely walked out of a city office before 20.00h

None would accept overtime sheets (part of the job and salary boss would say) and per diem never was generous.

Perhaps you should try reading the thread before rushing to proclaim ignorance....my comment was in response to a post in which the member extolled the virtues of having "free" drinks in the lounge while on travel for company business (that's why there's that little quote box thing, genius.)

So, apparently there are some folks who are able to hit the lounge in time for free drinks - maybe they are simply better at their jobs than you were at yours?

You might be struggling with the "all day" part.

I recently stayed at the Intercontinental and the free booze was from 5.30 until 8. (very nice by the way and I got my money's worth wink.png )

I believe Four Seasons is also evenings only.

Banyan Tree was/is free booze (beer all day) but they seem to have recently changed there website and it doesn't mention it. Give them a call.

http://www.banyantree.com/en/web/banyantree/ap-thailand-bangkok

Saw this:

http://www.thecontinenthotel.com/en/ocean-package.php

Don't know what "once per day" means?

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL
  • Like 1

Really so you have worked for "most companies" then ? different companies different policies, I dont get per diem, and we are not allowed to have itemised booze on the bill, so the business floor "upgrade" which is permissible, is a a rather elegant solution and it stays within corporate "polices", We can bill just about anything we want on the hotel bill as long as it's not itemised booze....wink.png

• Like 2

Perhaps you should try reading the thread before rushing to proclaim ignorance....my comment was in response to a post in which the member extolled the virtues of having "free" drinks in the lounge while on travel for company business (that's why there's that little quote box thing, genius.)

So, apparently there are some folks who are able to hit the lounge in time for free drinks - maybe they are simply better at their jobs than you were at yours?

I am beginning to detect anger mangement issues in your posts .. Wont your company/school book you or pay for the business floor dear boy ?whistling.gif

• Like 1

I am beginning to detect anger mangement issues in your posts .. Wont your company/school book you or pay for the business floor dear boy ?whistling.gif

You can even get around that by always using the same chain and getting in the lounge using membership benefits....plenty of options out there!

I've made use of the executive lounge service because the lounges are a good place to have business meetings without the hassle of travel in the city and going out in the traffic. Make them come to you.

The Landmark on Sukhumvit and the Grand Mercure at Fortune also have executive lounge privileges, and you can use the room all day long with coffee tea and snacks available, but they don't put the real goodies, hot foods and alcoholic drinks out until happy hour time.

I've made use of the executive lounge service because the lounges are a good place to have business meetings without the hassle of travel in the city and going out in the traffic. Make them come to you.

The Landmark on Sukhumvit and the Grand Mercure at Fortune also have executive lounge privileges, and you can use the room all day long with coffee tea and snacks available, but they don't put the real goodies, hot foods and alcoholic drinks out until happy hour time.

Same experience at a lot of the Bangkok lounges... and to honest the food is usually average at best.

Maybe I am spoiled by over exposure though...or Bangkok having so many good places to eat.

• 3 months later...

Most travelers, families included, love the convenience of getting breakfast without having to leave the hotel in the morning. That becomes even more important on days you chose to take early day trips or leave very early for the airport since many places are not even open at that hour.Note that breakfasts can vary by chain, country, and property. While some might offer a continental version, others have a full brunch-like buffet.