Babies In Thailand

familyman

We are moving to Thailand with our baby daughter (4 months old) and wonder generally what attitudes are in Thailand towards babies and families.

We are in Spain at the moment which is very family-orientated in terms of babies being welcome in restaurants, etc. On the other-hand there is nothing here in terms of mother-and-baby groups or health visitors, so my wife has been quite lonely on maternity leave.

What can we expect?

A good first stop is 'bumps and babies' which is part of BAMBI. You can do a search for Bambi Bangkok, which is a group for expat parents and their little ones. My wife is a member and there is always something happening..mothers groups, etc.

In terms of baby friendliness, I'd have to say Thailand is one of the most baby friendly places in the world. Thai people adore babies...so you will be fine on that front.

:D Thailand is brilliant for children :D . We have two and they both love it. The only downside is the constant touching and stroking of them :D . Both are blonde and blue eyed and the Thais just are compelled to touch stroke caress kiss etc. Better that way than the English way of tutting though. :o

I have to agree with leisurely on this one...Thais do love babies and babies get you LOTS of attention over here; particularly Western or Thai/Western ones. However, many people will want to play with your babies, hold them, etc and this can be a bit annoying since you don't know where their hands have been. Plus, those little baby hands will eventually find their way into the little one's mouth. My wife is Thai and we have a baby son. People approach us all the time and want to play with him. It's not just ladies either...lots of guys want to hold him too.