Retirees, are you worried that the rules might change?

Retirement has a loose definition. You can't have an OAvisa based on retirement issued in UK unless you are over 65 and receiving state pension, <snip>

That is not correct. You can get a OA visa at the embassy if you are 50 or over.

For a multiple entry non-o visa you must be 65 or over to get one at one of the consulates in the UK.

• Like 1

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Retirement has a loose definition. You can't have an OAvisa based on retirement issued in UK unless you are over 65 and receiving state pension, but at age 50 you can jump on a plane, arrive on a permit to enter stamp and convert that through a couple of steps to an annual retirement extension, all without a "pension" - just an income. The apparent intention is to encourage people who have the financial means to settle down in Thailand and spend their money. There's a bit of beaurocratic silliness in how the "financial means" is measured, but sorting that out would only close the door on people who are financially marginal anyway. The way the rules are written leaves the system open to abuse - 800K does not have to be your own money and is only tied up for 3 months, then returned to the borrower wink.png

Thailand wants disposable income, and income is a stream, not a lump of cash.

Thailand wants disposable income...

a logical conclusion but not [yet] enforced.

Retirement has a loose definition. You can't have an OAvisa based on retirement issued in UK unless you are over 65 and receiving state pension, <snip>

That is not correct. You can get a OA visa at the embassy if you are 50 or over.

For a multiple entry non-o visa you must be 65 or over to get one at one of the consulates in the UK.

My apologies -- I stand corrected ;)

I knew that for one of the permutations of visa issued "for retirement" by consulates in UK had a different interpretation. ;) I'm just pointing out the "flexibiilty of thought" within the system. :)

What makes the difference, because I assume that once you hold the visa you can apply for the multiple entry at any Thai immigration office.

What makes the difference, because I assume that once you hold the visa you can apply for the multiple entry at any Thai immigration office.

I don't know why there are options like this, but I daresay it suits someone......

Retirement has a loose definition. You can't have an OAvisa based on retirement issued in UK unless you are over 65 and receiving state pension,

With a multiple non O visa, you can stay in Thailand 15 months with border runs every 90 days.

With a single entry you can only stay 90 days. And you can't apply for a multiple entry at the Immigration once you hold the single entry.

Retirement has a loose definition. You can't have an OAvisa based on retirement issued in UK unless you are over 65 and receiving state pension,

With a multiple non O visa, you can stay in Thailand 15 months with border runs every 90 days.

With a single entry you can only stay 90 days. And you can't apply for a multiple entry at the Immigration once you hold the single entry.

ok .. but just come here and go through the much simpler process to get an extension and you are ok for a year with postal 90day reports (unless you deal with CM)

ok .. but just come here and go through the much simpler process to get an extension and you are ok for a year with postal 90day reports (unless you deal with CM)

Yes but's that not what he wrote. And you also need 800k in a bank here or 65k a month to qualify for it. For the non O multiple you need very very small money. And the money can be in your home country also. So there is a rather big difference

Yes but's that not what he wrote. And you also need 800k in a bank here or 65k a month to qualify for it. For the non O multiple you need very very small money. And the money can be in your home country also. So there is a rather big difference

Which kinda demonstrates my point quite well -- that the requirements for a "retirement" visa vary a lot - depending on how you do it... :)

Which kinda demonstrates my point quite well -- that the requirements for a "retirement" visa vary a lot - depending on how you do it... :)

But that has nothing to do with the quote you replied to.

You can't go to the Immigration with a single non O visa and change it to a multiple visa

Edited by larsjohnsson

No it's not possible to do that.

Which kinda demonstrates my point quite well -- that the requirements for a "retirement" visa vary a lot - depending on how you do it... smile.png

You can't go to the Immigration with a single non O visa and change it to a multiple visa

I didn't want to get into the details, but you can. You can arrive on a "permit to enter" stamp, go to Immigration and convert that to a non-O, and then extend that for a year with multiple re-entries. :)

Which kinda demonstrates my point quite well -- that the requirements for a "retirement" visa vary a lot - depending on how you do it... smile.png

I didn't want to get into the details, but you can. You can arrive on a "permit to enter" stamp, go to Immigration and convert that to a non-O, and then extend that for a year with multiple re-entries. smile.png

That's not what he wrote. He wrote coming on a non O single visa. And then go to the immigration and apply for a non O multiple. And that's not possible

• Like 1

I didn't want to get into the details, but you can. You can arrive on a "permit to enter" stamp, go to Immigration and convert that to a non-O, and then extend that for a year with multiple re-entries. smile.png

That's not what he wrote. He wrote coming on a non O single visa. And then go to the immigration and apply for a non O multiple. And that's not possible

Very true, agree 100%

==========>

At the immigration office you convert the 30 day "permit to enter" stamp to non-O single entry visa. Just before that expires, you extend it for a year and get a multiple re-entry permission.

Maybe you mean that you can not convert a non-O issued by a Thai embassy or consulate ?

==========>

At the immigration office you convert the 30 day "permit to enter" stamp to non-O single entry visa. Just before that expires, you extend it for a year and get a multiple re-entry permission.

Maybe you mean that you can not convert a non-O issued by a Thai embassy or consulate ?

That's not even close to what he wrote. You just make up new stories in every post. It's only about Non O visas. Single and multiple.

Permit to enter stamps and extension of stay for retirement, that's not even a visa..................

• Like 1

==========>

That's not even close to what he wrote. You just make up new stories in every post. It's only about Non O visas. Single and multiple.

Permit to enter stamps and extension of stay for retirement, that's not even a visa..................

Enough already -- we were discussing the various ways "retirement" is interpreted and the methods by which one can get a visa based on it.

==========>

Enough already -- we were discussing the various ways "retirement" is interpreted and the methods by which one can get a visa based on it.

yes sure giggle.gifgiggle.gif

little do you know but you are excused because obviously you never studied Latin and therefore do not know what the Latin word "visa" means.

however, it's never too late to upgrade one's knowledge smile.png

A visa (from the Latin charta visa, lit. "paper that has been seen"), is a conditional authorization given by a competent authority of a country for a person who is not a citizen of that country to enter its territory and to remain there for a limited duration.

Each country typically attaches various conditions to their visas, such as duration of stay, the territory covered by the visa, dates of validity, whether the visa is valid for more than one visit, etc. Visas are associated with the request for permission to enter a country, and are thus, for some countries, distinct from actual formal permission for an alien to enter and remain in the country. In any event, a visa is subject to permission of an immigration official at the time of actual entry, and can be revoked at any time.

summary: no matter what Thailand's or Thaivisa's interpretation of "visa, extension of stay, visa waiver and what not" is the fact remains they are all visas. period!

summary: no matter what Thailand's or Thaivisa's interpretation of "visa, extension of stay, visa waiver and what not" is the fact remains they are all visas. period!

Absolutely wrong. But believe that if you feel like.

Visa is another term that is interpreted differently by many people, so there's little point in arguing.

Origin

mid 19th century: via French from Latin visa, past participle (neuter plural) of videre 'to see'.

Used in this context to indicate that the passport holder has been "seen" (inspected) by the country's representatives with regard to travel into the host country, and has passed whatever examination was done at the time of the application.

Entering the country and presenting the visa merely tells the immigration officer that there is a basis for the travellers entry, but the officer will still exercise due diligence to keep undesireables out.

little do you know but you are excused because obviously you never studied Latin and therefore do not know what the Latin word "visa" means.

however, it's never too late to upgrade one's knowledge smile.png

A visa (from the Latin charta visa, lit. "paper that has been seen"), is a conditional authorization given by a competent authority of a country for a person who is not a citizen of that country to enter its territory and to remain there for a limited duration.

Each country typically attaches various conditions to their visas, such as duration of stay, the territory covered by the visa, dates of validity, whether the visa is valid for more than one visit, etc. Visas are associated with the request for permission to enter a country, and are thus, for some countries, distinct from actual formal permission for an alien to enter and remain in the country. In any event, a visa is subject to permission of an immigration official at the time of actual entry, and can be revoked at any time.

You are of course wrong. Little do you know but you are excused because obviously you didn't understand it. However it's not too late to learn............