Retirees, are you worried that the rules might change?

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can a person live their life worrying about what may happen in 20 years, that doesn't seem like you Simon!

Perhaps 'concerned' would be a better word, instead of 'worrying'.

At my age (55), I still have some time to take the necessary steps (eg PR or citizenship) to head off a situation where the retirement visa rules are tightened up, Once I am say 65 years old, those options really are no longer available...

@JLCrab, indeed I have lots of experience with marriage.... and divorce..... I'm trying to avoid going down that route again biggrin.png

Edited by simon43
  • Like 2

How can a person live their life worrying about what may happen in 20 years, that doesn't seem like you Simon!

there are days when Simon is very bored. that applies especially to weekends and periods when he is not busy building the umpteenth minihotel.

smile.png

Good thing our hotel chain founder Simon does not have a daughter called Paris then he really would have something to worry about.

• Like 1

Perhaps 'concerned' would be a better word, instead of 'worrying'.

At my age (55), I still have some time to take the necessary steps (eg PR or citizenship) to head off a situation where the retirement visa rules are tightened up, Once I am say 65 years old, those options really are no longer available...

@JLCrab, indeed I have lots of experience with marriage.... and divorce..... I'm trying to avoid going down that route again biggrin.png

As Mr. Crab said you can marry again or get a family support EOS or get a EOS based on your kid supporting you.

You can even register a company and get a "B" visa or maybe there will be something similar to the ED visa around then.

If you're 90 years old and stuck in a wheelchair just overstay and tell everyone to !#!$@ themselves.

Only slightly off topic.

Under the new rules, unless I am mistaken, your Thai child can elect to have you become his dependent in your old age and I believe this would be treated the same as other non O annual extensions. This might be an option (in extremis) if the relationship with your son is a close one? and would free up the 800k on deposit to cover any medical costs which might crop up.

Certainly for me if I ever get to the ripe old age of, say, 80+ then my 400k might well provide a reasonable contribution for my healthcare.

Edited by iancnx

One might then consider then going on the retirement extension ASAP so if there is some change -- and as with prior changes to Police Order provisions -- those already on such extension via retirement before X date are exempted from the new changes.

(I am trying to avoid using the word 'grandfather'' if possible)

No, not worried. Old rules might be grandfathered. If not, I'm already old and sufficiently well endowed - financially.

There are much more likely things to worry about. Over two decades the odds of getting whacked by a crazed motosai driver are close to 100%.

Edited by mahjongguy

I have a cunning plan. I will put 800,000 baht into my bank as needed, then after 2 months take it all out. 2 days later I will put it all back in again. If i do this 4 or 5 times a year I may get a bonus !!!

The OP is 55 I am 52, I don't really worry to much about next year let alone 20 years time. And I really see no point in getting all het up about something you can do nothing about.

Go have a lay down dear.

Edited by ubonjoe
Changed to default font. Please do not use bold font.
  • Like 1

If you are concerned then perhaps you should hedge your bets, perhaps make a retirement visa your Plan A, just decide what your Plan B is. FWIW my plan A is continued retirement in Thailand but I've just bought a small flat in Somerset which I will use as a base for two or three months each year. The holding cost of the flat is negligible, community charge and lease/ground rent charges, about £140 a month which is offset by other gains - it offers a fallback in case the Thailand wheel falls off but also provides for new experiences and travel opportunities.

I'd have trouble limiting myself to only 2 months in Somerset!!

If you are concerned then perhaps you should hedge your bets, perhaps make a retirement visa your Plan A, just decide what your Plan B is. FWIW my plan A is continued retirement in Thailand but I've just bought a small flat in Somerset which I will use as a base for two or three months each year. The holding cost of the flat is negligible, community charge and lease/ground rent charges, about £140 a month which is offset by other gains - it offers a fallback in case the Thailand wheel falls off but also provides for new experiences and travel opportunities.

last time I visited it was a bit wet.biggrin.png

last time I visited it was a bit wet.biggrin.png

Last time I visited the place was under two feet of water, good job it's a first floor flat! laugh.png

I am not concerned but I do see some possible situations that could be a concern. Unlike in our own countries where there are people or NPOs who can assist you here we tend to relay on our wife's or girlfriends who may or may not be the best suited to address our problems.

Example: health related issues that keep you from going to immigration for your extensions. Will you be on overstay and thrown out of country or will they understand and say not a problem?

How about Alzheimer's and you lack the ability to keep your affairs in order, will they deport you if you are unable to sign you name or even remember who you are ?

The 800,000 rule for retirement has been in place for a long time, when will they increase the requirement? Will you be able to cover the required increase?

Perhaps always best to have a plan B just in case, even if you are 80 and feeling good.

After you have put all your eggs in one basket if something happened it would be difficult when you are old and not healthy to try to put everything back in order and start new again back in your home country.

• Like 2

I am not concerned but I do see some possible situations that could be a concern. Unlike in our own countries where there are people or NPOs who can assist you here we tend to relay on our wife's or girlfriends who may or may not be the best suited to address our problems.

Example: health related issues that keep you from going to immigration for your extensions. Will you be on overstay and thrown out of country or will they understand and say not a problem?

How about Alzheimer's and you lack the ability to keep your affairs in order, will they deport you if you are unable to sign you name or even remember who you are ?

The 800,000 rule for retirement has been in place for a long time, when will they increase the requirement? Will you be able to cover the required increase?

Perhaps always best to have a plan B just in case, even if you are 80 and feeling good.

After you have put all your eggs in one basket if something happened it would be difficult when you are old and not healthy to try to put everything back in order and start new again back in your home country.

You can always use a visa agent as a fall back and of course, if you are hospitalized then the hospital will manage your visa/immigration needs..

As for the 800K: like others, I don't believe the amount will be increased any time soon, if it were to be so I believe existing visa holders would be grandfathered, there I said it, the GF word!

Finally, I seem to be hearing more and more about protected care facilities for people with the likes of Alzheimer's, I met a Dutch lady in Sriphat two years ago who had committed her husband to one such establishment and she spoke really highly of it. I also met a farang recently in Doi Saket who was in the process of opening such a home, sorry I don't have any more details but facilities like that are now becoming more common.

• Like 2