who is a rock star? ...knows about rocks?

boomerangutang

Anyone can respond to this. There are two abandoned rock quarries 2 Km northwest of C.Rai. They're north and nw of Ban Nam Lat town by several hundred meters. Here's how I would describe them, in a nutshell:

>>> One called 'Stratocaster' has easy access, and is about 7 rai of stratified rock, some formations going vertical. Also has seasonal pools of water which are probably toxic, because nothing larger than slime seems to be living in them.

>>> 'Colored Clay Quarry' on an approx 12 rai site has hidden access and is about 3 rai of mostly clay, several different colors with variations red, white, blue, black, yellow.

If interested, go check it out and/or I'll be glad to go there with anyone. I'm a neophyte re; rocks, so it would be particularly cool if someone could share some insight on the formations, their age, what types of rocks, etc. A Thai geologist (from Bkk, who hadn't seen the quarries) mentioned they're probably volcanic in origin, but that sounded a bit vague and possibly not true or partly true.

Fossils: I've spent just a couple hours looking, but found just a few little things of interest. Most promising however, is stratified rock which may be stromatolites:

Stromatolites are not only Earth's oldest of fossils, but are intriguing in that they are our singular visual portal into deep time on earth, the emergence of life, and the evolving of the beautiful forms of life of modern time.

from: http://www.fossilmuseum.net/Tree_of_Life/Stromatolites.htm

I don't know for sure, but it's intriguing. I don't know who owns the quarries, but they're evidently abandoned. The only people I've seen there, from 10 visits, are a few teenagers at Stratocaster, who are hanging out, and......? One day, they came over and split some rocks with me, looking for anything interesting.

120 views and no one wants to venture a comment. I guess rocks are pretty boring for most adults (though your kids might appreciate knowing about them). Now, If I mentioned I found a source of jade, gold or gemstone, then that might generate some interest, particularly among the women.

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting! Any coordinates or other hints how to go there?

I don't have GPS gizmo, but I'll take a stab at how to get there.

First off, there's a correction in the descriptions. It's the colored clay place which has the toxic (alkaline?) shallow water pools. The Stratocaster place has one or two also, but not as prominently on the site.

Cross the Mae Fa Luang bridge going north, then....

Colored Clay Quarry: It's not easy to access (scant path through brush), so it would be best if anyone interested contact me beforehand. Even so: it's 200 meters west of the hardware store which is next to the medical clinic 2 km north from the MFL bridge.(through the town of Ban Nam Lat). If you get to the ma and pop petrol station, you've just passed the hardware store, all of which are on the left (west side of the road). Without me as your guide, you'll need rubber boots because the approach is marshy.

Stratocaster, is easier to get to. 1 Km north of the MFL bridge, turn left/west on Soi 5. Go 700 meters, turn right on dirt road. 50 m, take left fork. Quarry is 130 m on the left/west side, at top of rise.