Blocked pavements in Chiang Mai

intel4004

Do you think that bike may have been purposely placed there (by a Good Samaritan) to prevent those bikers who like to use the footpaths as their roadway to go the opposite of the street traffic? I love those bikers.....they keep my spry. Some days I get a lot of exercise dodging those sidewalk bikers!!! Thanks, sidewalk bikers!!! (Tongue firmly planted in cheek!)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seattle was the trendy environmental city of the 90's. It was Sustainable Seattle and all eyes looked to the great NW. Californians flocked there. Then something called growth over ran the city and it soon became unsustainable. Since 2000 the city has become a planner's nightmare with big city problems even with all their sound city planning fundamentals in place. The light rail system is very limited and old and didn't grow to meet the pop growth. Hwy 5 is a nightmare most of the day. Still way too much dependence on private cars and the lack of sufficient public transport esp to and from the downtown area.

The downtown section is still walkable but really the metro area has become a cluster of small cities not connected to each other and people if they have the choice stay within one of these self-contained cities...Think Phoenix LA Orange County even the Bay Area...

Its sister city (not really) three hour and half hours south has become the new Seattle of this decade. It will face the same pressures as people flock to this fantastic "rosebed" town (at least for now)....

Seattle outgrew its charm even within one of the prettiest natural areas in America...Seattle has become one of the top ten most expensive big cities in America to boot...

CB

Seattle was the trendy environmental city of the 90's. It was Sustainable Seattle and all eyes looked to the great NW. Californians flocked there. Then something called growth over ran the city and it soon became unsustainable. Since 2000 the city has become a planner's nightmare with big city problems even with all their sound city planning fundamentals in place. The light rail system is very limited and old and didn't grow to meet the pop growth. Hwy 5 is a nightmare most of the day. Still way too much dependence on private cars and the lack of sufficient public transport esp to and from the downtown area.

The downtown section is still walkable but really the metro area has become a cluster of small cities not connected to each other and people if they have the choice stay within one of these self-contained cities...Think Phoenix LA Orange County even the Bay Area...

Its sister city (not really) three hour and half hours south has become the new Seattle of this decade. It will face the same pressures as people flock to this fantastic "rosebed" town (at least for now)....

Seattle outgrew its charm even within one of the prettiest natural areas in America...Seattle has become one of the top ten most expensive big cities in America to boot...

CB

Funny I grew up there and had nothing really good or bad to say about it. I did relocate to Canada in 71 and have returned quite often. But it was not until the early 2000 years that I started to look around at the city as a tourist. Yes there are many neighborhoods who have become their own little community. Some of them are well worth looking around as they have some old time charm to them. I find that as you say the auto traffic is a nightmare there now. How ever they do have a very good bus system. I take the bus into town when I am there and if it is to far to walk but still in the core area there is a city bus that will get me close to it and it is a free ride.wai.gif

Do you count each sign separately? Here' a great youtube from a guy in NYC where you get fined

for riding bikes on the sidewalk (pavements), or out of a designated bicycle lane.

Fantastic find and very funny. Police officer not fit for purpose. As regards the cycle lanes, well it's a typical scenario anywhere.