How do you motivate Thai staff?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than the Chinese-Thai’s the average Thai is just simply lazy, I’m sure there are exceptions but good lord what a dreadful work force to have to select from.

A farang friend of mine in Bangkok has lived there for almost 30 years said that a Chinese or Thai/Chinese employees have more motivation than real Thais who are lazy. He hired many Thais to work as sales person and office staff but they lacked of motivation. He used to have a business in Bangkok but it had been struggle due to having a hard time hiring any motivated Thai employees. He used to hire some Thais but it did not work out because they were very lazy like for examples that he caught his Thai male was hired as an artist, he was sleeping on a drafting board table while he was out doing photo shooting projects and on that day he came back to his office earlier and problems with Thai female employees who either trying to hit on him or chatting on the phone.

Well, he ended up had a Thai/Chinese female employees as a g/f and had a child together. He said that she was the only good employee who worked hard but the downside was she was jealous of him that he hired other Thai female employees, that slowed down work progress. They finally broke up later on and she took the child with her. His current wife is a Thai from north eastern Thailand whom he tried to train her to work for him as a sales person but she lacks of motivation and they ended up fighting.

His business could have been moving on up if he could have found a single good and reliable Thai employee. Even one of his ex Thai wives screwed up his business badly that he lose his company. He had to start from scratch again and it has been struggle for him due to difficulty finding any reliable Thai employee.

I am a Thai/Chinese and I have never worked in Thailand. I am certain that I can not work with other Thais in Thailand because from what I know many Thais tend to like getting together to gossip if any employee works hard and do better job performance than them, they do not like that. I have a good work ethic and I like to keep it that way.

I lived in Thailand for 8 years, just left 8 months ago; I’m too young to get a retirement Visa so I studied the language to get the Education Visa. Being that I could understand the language I believe I was aware of more than the average farang.

Over the years I accepted a few jobs and was exposed to working with Thai’s. The first observation I had was the different work ethic of the Thai’s to that of the Thai/Chinese. The Thai/Chinese are more dependable, more accomplished and intent on improving their skills, hardworking, very rarely miss work or arrive late, and they get the job done. Most of the Thai employees were not disciplined, habitually late or absent, lazy, not interested in improving their skills, their job performance was substandard. This may seem almost inconceivable but I can’t tell you how many times I found an employee actually hiding some ware sleeping at work!

Of course this is a generalization, I do know some extremely gifted high quality Thai’s that would be a valuable asset to any business but they were few and far between. I found Thailand a difficult environment for conducting business, intuitively I felt an unsettling lack of loyalty from the people, I always got the feeling from the Thai’s that if it benefited them they would turn on me in a heartbeat, and I can’t say that I ever had that feeling with my Thai/Chinese workmates.

• Like 2

20,000 baht a month for a 21 year old? You did not specify the job or the skills you desire in the person doing the job. Maybe the job has no challenge for him and you got him in a money trap? An older person would appreciate the money and accept the job gives him a living but no challenge. Employees that are not motivated tend to get a more and more negative attitude because they are too scared to quit themselves, so they try to push you to fire them.

Is he your only employee? Giving him a raise like that can have a negative effect on the others.

Does the job offer a path to promotion and different work?

Apparently he has such good skills that even not doing a days work is more effective as the days work of an less skilled person.

The mistake you made was upping their salary to 20,000 in one Go

What I did and it worked was dangle the extra money in front of them and if they reached a certain goal it would be bonus otherwise then did not get it

This helps

Set goals and bonuses and time off as well That really words well. Like give them a Monday off id they do something well

Some of them are liked train animals Wave something in front of them and they may bite for it

You can teach anybody job specific skills.

Attitude is a very different matter altogether and, for me anyways, cannot be taught - They either have it or they don't.

Hence, I have always only ever employed people based on their attitude.

• Like 1

You need to think about canine training. For the dog to obey your commands, the first thing is that the owner establishes dominance. Have you ever seen anyone being dragged down the street by their dog? That is because the dog doesn't think it is subordinate to their owner. It is the same with Thais. You need to establish a hierarchy.

Thai business owners use a number of techniques including rituals and ceremonies in which employees have to pay obeisance to their employers and thank them for their jobs. This establishes a clear hierarchy. Another is to have an organisational diagram with pictures on the wall. Another is to challenge him in the office by asking him to do something. You maintain the pressure until he complies. If he doesn't, then just like a dog that cannot be trained, you have to get rid.

• Like 1

If you decide to get rid of him, check very carefully with your company lawyer that you follow the legal procedure, in terms of verbal and written warnings of his lack of performance etc. Otherwise, you might find yourself having to pay out on grounds of unfair dismissal etc.

you want genuine advice?

a friend of mine has 5 travel agencys.

he chooses his staff carefully and is a good judge of character.

he pays 25,000 a month plus comission.

most staff earn their 25,000 plus between 15,000 and 25,000 comission.

he sometimes slips and shows them the door.

its all about man management.

You probably won't be able to find exactly what you want so hire the best stacked, most beautiful girl you see, pay her the 20,000and, if she can't do the job, you have alternatives for her services I am of the old school that most ugly women can do what you NEED but only those with big tits can do what you WANT !

For sexpats, everything can be solved with more sex.

When all you have is a hammer...

Simple return his wages back to what they were. When asked why just say I saw you weren't doing your any better so I guess raise didn't motivate you. So why pay more for same. Now if you prove wages can return back up if not Plenty out there that need work and leave it at that.

Drop his wage down to 10,000 baht a month! it's more than enough to live a decent lifestyle in Thailand ( that's if you are like myself - non materialistic & don't drink,smoke and love to walk everywhere! ) Most of these Thai & farang i see who are supposed to be working seem to be more interested in " gazing at there smartphone " for most of the day! ( if i had a business or worked in a school i would make an " absolute ban " on the use of phones at work!

Where i live i have Thai friends who earn only 6,500 baht a month and work very hard and long hours for the money!

F.J thumbsup.gif

I have had some fantastic Thai staff. Like so many people though after a while complacency can creep in. Motivation strategies are numerous.

One thing to be careful of is the in house gossip and rumour mill creating hassles. If you can manage that that definitely helps with overall motivation.

Also if you have any staff who are clearly not helping the overall team motivation....manage them out.

Good luck and hope you manage a win

Motivation is a tricky business. We have two factories, one central Thailand, one Eastern Seaboard. While in Central Thailand people appreciate having a job and being proud working for one of the best employers in the area, in the other one nobody gives a s#%t. In the first factory (approx 40 employees 10 office workers in factory and 3 in head office in BKK), there is almost no staff turnover. In the second one it took 2 years of hiring & firing to find acceptable team (approx 90 workers, 20 office workers in factory and few more in BKK head office). The biggest problem what i see in Thailand is that it's difficult to check past references and people fired for taking drugs or drinking during shift will be hired next day by another factory due to shortage of labor. We also had a big problem finding technicians for machine maintenance, at the end had the best result hiring directly from school and have expat engineer training them (sugar & stick model). Our factory run 24/7 but "preventive maintenance" does not exist here, so the first batch of technicians were sitting all night, playing cards and drinking waiting until machine break down and then spending twice the time to repair. We had to do "night raids" with security and few friends from local police with drugs & alcohol test. Many people get fired on the spot making the others think twice. It was tough time because the fired employees were prosecuted by police for drug offenses and were harassing factory security guards and other staff.

For motivation, the lowest staff & general labor (Thais with no education, no ambitions) need a supervisor with a stick + bonus for making it to the daily production rate. For their supervisors (Thais with college education) they get bonus for meeting daily production rate + for following preventive maintenance procedures. For managers (Thai Chinese + expats) their motivation is to grow because their salaries and bonuses depends on company performance.

• Like 2

no one is irreplaceable. Male Thai staff are a special challenge.

Give him a female assistant who can get to know his contacts and train her up to something like his level. Get them to compete.

Replace him with her.

Yes, I have long considered women in this country to be infinitely superior to the men, on so many levels. They work harder, they feel less entitled, they are less prideful, and they were not brought up to think were Gods gift to the world. They are basically the cement that holds this country together. Where Thailand would be without its women is anyone's guess. So, employ as many women as you can. And replace him with a woman. And make him aware that you are replacing him with a woman, that is far superior to him, on many levels. That will put the lazy, prideful bastard in his place.

• Like 1

I would recommend to read the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie" it's a book that is worth reading by any manager or by any person who has to interact mutch with people.
But what i also would do personally if i had a employee of this age is perhaps invite his parents and him for a small meating (something to drink & eat) and tell them about his good points and explain them softly that he should perform some more. Thai children respect very mutch their parents, if you can convince his parents then he will also perform more.

• Like 1

You should give the staff a low salary from the beginning, with the promise of a raise after 6 months if you're happy with their work. This is normal practise in most Thai owned businesses.

A lot of people do not have the so-called Western work ethic of 9 - 5 etc. When the Brits had their Empire in the East, they insisted on western working conditions such as working all day in the blazing heat. The natives or someobdy coined the phrase, "mad dogs and Englishmen." The people in S.E. Asia, the South Pacific and other tropical islands don't have the same work values as East Asians and Europeans. If you have noticed, in practically every S.E. Asian nation...a certain group of immigrants control the economy and are the richest in terms of assets. I'm here in the Philippines and the top ten richest people are not the Malay race filipinos, but immigrants from, guess where....China. Some are born here but the richest actually immigrated a few decades ago and became billionaires. Same in Indonesia, Burma, Laos, Malaysia, and probably Cambodia and Vietnam, before the Viets kicked out a few hundred thousand ethnic Chinese. Even the president of the Philippines is of Chinese ancestry if you follow his family tree. Native Thais are similar to the Malay peoples who populate Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, etc. Here, in the Philippines, you often have 10 people doing jobs which in the West would take 2 or 3......its not that they are lazy (although we in the West interpret it that way)....its part of the culture. They like to have fun and are less concerned with timesheets and efficiency as we are in the West...where time is money, and as the Chinese and other East Asians, who want to maximize profits and expand as quickly as possible. To a Malay or Thai, if they have enough fish or rice for today and tomorrow, then why worry...just enjoy today and worry about things another day, when you really need something. East Asians worry about profits and acquiring assets and power and influence, Westerners worry about profits, efficiency, control and power...........Its racial and cultural differences and who is to say that one system is better than the other. Except that East Asians and Westerners end up richer and also help to accelerate environmental destruction, while Thais and Malays just follow rather half heartedly and at their own speed..and of course end up much poorer.

• Like 1

10,000 baht a month! it's more than enough to live a decent lifestyle in Thailand

This is news - BREAKING news!

I wouldnt worry about "canarysun" he lives in own little bubble in Jomiten and one suspects has very little clue about what "life" costs in Thailand

everyone to their own I guess

A lot of people do not have the so-called Western work ethic of 9 - 5 etc. When the Brits had their Empire in the East, they insisted on western working conditions such as working all day in the blazing heat. The natives or someobdy coined the phrase, "mad dogs and Englishmen." The people in S.E. Asia, the South Pacific and other tropical islands don't have the same work values as East Asians and Europeans. If you have noticed, in practically every S.E. Asian nation...a certain group of immigrants control the economy and are the richest in terms of assets. I'm here in the Philippines and the top ten richest people are not the Malay race filipinos, but immigrants from, guess where....China. Some are born here but the richest actually immigrated a few decades ago and became billionaires. Same in Indonesia, Burma, Laos, Malaysia, and probably Cambodia and Vietnam, before the Viets kicked out a few hundred thousand ethnic Chinese. Even the president of the Philippines is of Chinese ancestry if you follow his family tree. Native Thais are similar to the Malay peoples who populate Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, etc. Here, in the Philippines, you often have 10 people doing jobs which in the West would take 2 or 3......its not that they are lazy (although we in the West interpret it that way)....its part of the culture. They like to have fun and are less concerned with timesheets and efficiency as we are in the West...where time is money, and as the Chinese and other East Asians, who want to maximize profits and expand as quickly as possible. To a Malay or Thai, if they have enough fish or rice for today and tomorrow, then why worry...just enjoy today and worry about things another day, when you really need something. East Asians worry about profits and acquiring assets and power and influence, Westerners worry about profits, efficiency, control and power...........Its racial and cultural differences and who is to say that one system is better than the other. Except that East Asians and Westerners end up richer and also help to accelerate environmental destruction, while Thais and Malays just follow rather half heartedly and at their own speed..and of course end up much poorer.

People get bored, rotating staff and learning new roles might be an idea, the benifit to you is someone can be covered easily for what ever reason, you could be a nice guy and take him and the rest of your staff for a few drinks on friday nights.

Paying a salary increase without earning it wasnt a smart move, you want to get out of that notion he cant be replaced.

He is on a commission for extra business he brings in but that hasn't worked either. Just for the record he is half Thai / Half farang and 21 years old

Aha, he is half Thai and half Whitey/farang. Does it make him more, or less human?

Edited by forumuser10