Can a 30-day tourist visa be extended?

Apply for a Tourist Visa, it would allow a 60 day stay, and can be extended in Thailand for an additional 30 days for 1900 Baht. If wanting to stay longer, apply for a double or triple entry Tourist Visa.

If he doesn't intend to live here, I don't know that I would bother with the Retirement Extension, or Visa.

If he's getting 30 days, that's not a tourist visa, it's a visa exempt entry.

After 29th August, visa exempt entries can be extended for an additional 30 days. See quote below and click the link below that for a thread discussing it.

Longer visa exemption extensions begin August 29, 2014

BANGKOK: -- The Immigration Bureau has announced that of August 29. 2014 you will be able to extend your visa exemption period whilst you're in Thailand by 30 days, instead of the current 7 days, giving a total visa-exemption stay of 60 days. The fee for extension of stay is 1,900 Baht (unchanged).

Currently, a visa exemption entry can be extended by 7 days at your nearest Immigration office. From August 29th, it can be extended by 30 days. In effect, you can be in the country without a visa for 60 days.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/744440-longer-visa-exemption-extensions-begin-august-29-2014/

• Like 1

As beechguy mentioned, the best choice for your friend is to get a tourist visa, for about Bt 1,000, that can be extended for further 30 days.

A 30 days extension would cost instead Bt 1,900 and cannot be further extended.

interesting that the Chiang Mai immigration meeting thread directly contradicts this. the immigration guy explicitly said 7 days only for visa exrmpt entry extensions. the section addressing extensions for medical reasons concluded by saying visa exempt entries (presumably for medical reasons) could be extended by up tp 90 days!

interesting that the Chiang Mai immigration meeting thread directly contradicts this. the immigration guy explicitly said 7 days only for visa exrmpt entry extensions. the section addressing extensions for medical reasons concluded by saying visa exempt entries (presumably for medical reasons) could be extended by up tp 90 days!

The 7 day extension is the current rules, as of 29th you will be able to get a 30 day extension. But this will require a confirmed ticket out of the country (no open ticket) and additional proof of being a tourist (bookings for hotels, tours) can be asked for.

Medical extension rules will not change. As always one can get an extension for up to 90 days at a time, regardless of the kind of entry.

He wants to come for a couple of months?

How old is he?

Over 50:

He should get a Non O multiple visa. Valid for multiple entries over one year. 90 days per entry.

Most serious solution and easy to apply in the home country.

For continuous stay he can apply for an extension of stay (one year per application).

Tons of threads on that, Financials/account in Thailand necessary.

Need details?

Under 50:

Triple entry tourist visa probably available in the home country,

Can be stretched to 9 months of stay with two border runs and two 30 day extensions.

Double entry tourist visa: up to 6 months with one border run.

Edited by KhunBENQ

After 29th August, visa exempt entries can be extended for an additional 30 days. See quote below and click the link below that for a thread discussing it.

BANGKOK: -- The Immigration Bureau has announced that of August 29. 2014 you will be able to extend your visa exemption period whilst you're in Thailand by 30 days, instead of the current 7 days, giving a total visa-exemption stay of 60 days. The fee for extension of stay is 1,900 Baht (unchanged).

Currently, a visa exemption entry can be extended by 7 days at your nearest Immigration office. From August 29th, it can be extended by 30 days. In effect, you can be in the country without a visa for 60 days.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/744440-longer-visa-exemption-extensions-begin-august-29-2014/

I'm coming to he end of a 60 day extension (reason visiting child) I got this after my 3rd entry ended on my tourist visa ( couldn't get a multi non O last year due to lack of financial requirements at that time) I'm stamped in until the 2nd of September.

I was going to go to Bangkok tomorrow and start the ball rolling with a marriage visa but after reading the above does this give me some more time i.e 30 more days if I pop into the local immigration and pay 1900 baht after the 29th of August?

Thanks in advance smile.png

I'm coming to he end of a 60 day extension (reason visiting child) I got this after my 3rd entry ended on my tourist visa ( couldn't get a multi non O last year due to lack of financial requirements at that time) I'm stamped in until the 2nd of September.

I was going to go to Bangkok tomorrow and start the ball rolling with a marriage visa but after reading the above does this give me some more time i.e 30 more days if I pop into the local immigration and pay 1900 baht after the 29th of August?

No it does not mean you could another extension. It is only for visa exempt entries.

You are to late to do a change of visa status from a tourist visa entry to a non immigrant visa entry based upon marriage to a Thai. Bangkok immigration requires you to have 15 days remaining on your entry.

You best option is to go out and apply for a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage at a nearby embassy or consulate.

The above quote is regarding visa exempt entries after 29th August. You are apparently here on an extension of stay. As far as I know you can't get an extension of an extension based on a tourist visa entry.

There is no marriage visa. It's an extension of stay based on marriage and takes a fair amount of documentation, etc. so you should start the ball rolling with enough time to get your application in before your current permission to stay ends. If you wait until the last minute and your application needs something more to be completed, you'll run out of time. Once the application is accepted there will be an "under consideration" wait before the extension is granted.

Edited by Suradit69

Confusing thread here.

There's no mention of him being married.

So he can't get a non O visa.

Unless he is married.

As for a non O based on kids. In the UK. To apply it doesn't mention finances.

But it does say the embassy have the right to ask for additional documents.

Will let you know next week if they ask me

I wasn't clear enough sorry chaps.

I'm not married yet but was going to go to BKK to get married and then pop to Savannakhet and apply for a multiple Non O based on it.

I'm living in the South of Thailand so a trip up to the big city is something I'd rather not do if I can avoid it.

I was thinking of going to Penang for a single Non O based on my thai daughter with my ex GF but I'm not legalized as the father and only have my name on the BC.

How strict is Penang for a single Non O visa and what documents do they need for it?

I have a friend who comes here 3 or 4 times a year. This time he wants to stay a couple of months rather than the 30-day standard tourist period. Can that be done? What would he have to do?

Also, I'm trying to get him to apply for a retirement visa? What would he have to do?

Thanks in advance for any information.

D

Depends where he is from.

In UK i was able to get triple entry.

U can make 9 months out of it..

I wasn't clear enough sorry chaps.

I'm not married yet but was going to go to BKK to get married and then pop to Savannakhet and apply for a multiple Non O based on it.

I'm living in the South of Thailand so a trip up to the big city is something I'd rather not do if I can avoid it.

I was thinking of going to Penang for a single Non O based on my thai daughter with my ex GF but I'm not legalized as the father and only have my name on the BC.

How strict is Penang for a single Non O visa and what documents do they need for it?

You said marriage visa so I answered that.

You don't have to go to Bangkok to get married. You can register your marriage at any Amphoe. You will though have to go to your embassy to get the affirmation of permit to marry.

Penang will do a single entry non-o based upon having a Thai child with just you name on the birth certificate. You will need their birth certificate (plus a copy) and a copy of their house book. You might want to contact an agent there to confirm the latest requirements.

• Like 1

The 7 day extension is the current rules, as of 29th you will be able to get a 30 day extension. But this will require a confirmed ticket out of the country (no open ticket) and additional proof of being a tourist (bookings for hotels, tours) can be asked for.

Medical extension rules will not change. As always one can get an extension for up to 90 days at a time, regardless of the kind of entry.

Nope. See the new "clarification" from the nice folks in Chiang Mai:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754414-immigration-clarifies-new-regulations-for-foreigners-in-chiang-mai/?utm_source=newsletter-20140825-0757&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

An extract from that article's OP, which was from the Chiang Mai Mail, 24AUG:

"He did confirm that those entering Thailand on a 30 day visa exempt entry can only extend for 7 days in Thailand; a tourist visa can extend for 30 days."

He is quoting the old rules, not the new rules. The official rules that will be in effect starting the 29th say one can extend a visa exempt entry with 30 days.

The 7 day "extension" is not even a real extension, just an administrative trick.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754414-immigration-clarifies-new-regulations-for-foreigners-in-chiang-mai/?utm_source=newsletter-20140825-0757&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

"He did confirm that those entering Thailand on a 30 day visa exempt entry can only extend for 7 days in Thailand; a tourist visa can extend for 30 days."

I think I will go by a what a new written rule says rather than an off the cuff remark by an immigration officer.

But since he said it on the 20th he was correct. The new rule does not go into effect until the 29th.

I cant see how you're going to get around the check in issue with a ticket for example of 45 days duration but relying on the extension to the visa exempt entry ??

The airlines are going to ask where is the proper tourist visa ??

That is indeed an issue. Officially you must have a ticket out within 30 days, but for the 30 day extension you must have a ticket out in 30 days. So if you want an extension you must beforehand buy a ticket that allows you to change the return date, which is often a bit more expensive. But if you plan to use a 30 day extension it is most times better to get a proper tourist visa to start with.

I think I will go by a what a new written rule says rather than an off the cuff remark by an immigration officer.

But since he said it on the 20th he was correct. The new rule does not go into effect until the 29th.

You're probably right. But "off the cuff"?? And "by an immigration officer"?? As in, some disinterested subordinate officer detailed to attend an informal meeting? Come on now. It was the Chiang Mai Superintendent.

This was the caption to the included photo of the luminaries in attendance:

"Members of the Chiang Mai diplomatic corps from Japan, the U.S., U.K., Canada,

France, Switzerland, Austria, Finland, South Korea, and Peru met with officers from

Chiang Mai Immigration to discuss the new regulations."

And these are the first few paragraphs:

"Chiang Mai Immigration officials laid out the new regulations regarding overstay, in/out border trips, and extensions as well as cleared up many questions held by foreign residents at a meeting held organized by the Chiang Mai Chamber of Commerce at the Imperial Mae Ping Hotel on Wednesday, August 20, 2014.

Chiang Mai Immigration authorities met with members of the diplomatic corps, media and interested parties and went over, point by point, the new regulations. The event, which was opened by ranking diplomat Japanese Consul General Akihiko Fujii, was held in English and in Thai and clarified the many new changes in effect as well as offered explanations for some of the changes that all foreigners would like to see.

The Superintendent of Chiang Mai Immigration, Pol Col. Rutphong Sanwanangkum was joined by fellow Immigration officers Thawatchai Changoern and Pol.Sen.Sgt.Maj. Suranuch Srilapetch in opening the meeting where they started off by discussing the current changes announced in Act number 327/2557. ..."

Doesn't sound "off the cuff" to me. On the contrary, clarification of the "new rules" was the specific focus of the event! BY immigration officials!! Is it true or not true? Factual or not? If it's all just BS and "off the cuff" - why is TV even publishing it!! If it's non-authoritative and BS, take it down! Or identify it as not to be taken seriously. Or at least let members know where you think there are obvious misspeaks so as to prevent sowing confusion.

Edited by hawker9000

Not all information is incorrect making the article still valuable.

Official rule:

2.4 In the case of tourism purposes:

Each permission shall be granted for no more than 30 days from the date on which the permitted period has lapsed.

The alien:

(1) Must have been granted a tourist visa (TOURIST) or exempted from applying for a visa. Each permission shall be granted for no more than 30 days as announced by the Ministry of Interior.

(2) Must not be of a nationality or type prescribed by the committee monitoring official proceedings of officers of the Immigration Bureau.