ED extension ending, how to apply for long stay (retirement)

After reading 106 pages of topics here, I am still a little confused.

My ED extension ends on 14th September (next month), and I now wish to apply to remain in Thailand on long stay (retirement). I do not have the required funds in a Thai bank at this time, so I require a 90 day visa/extension of stay to enable me to deposit the money in a Thai bank for the required 60 days prior to applying for the extension of stay based on retirement.

From what I have read here, I can go to a neighbouring country and apply for a 90 day Non-O Visa, travel back to Thailand and organise my finances etc. within the first 30 days, and then apply for the 12 month long stay extension at CW immigration towards the end of my Non-O. Is that correct? If so, what documentation other than the TM7, passport/copies, photos, letter from school confirming completed studies, condo lease, are required for the Non-O? Do I need to show proof of my finances (eg, bank statement from my home country institution)? If not, is there another/better alternative?

On another note, I have recently read here that rental income may be used in combination with deposited funds. Could you please confirm this?

Ubonjoe, you have helped me before so I look forward to your comments in particular. My apologies if this has been covered before, but I'll be damned if i could find it! Thank you in advance, all assistance is greatly appreciated. Cheers!

If you go out and get a non-o visa you will need nothing relating to your previous attendance at a school. That is only needed if you go to retirement from an ED extension. Just the TM7 and passport copies will be needed and financial proof.

You may be asked for financial proof when you go for the non-o visa other than that all you need is your passport and the visa application.

If your home country embassy or consulate will accept rental income to do the income letter it can be used as the income side using a mixture of income and money in the bank to get your extension.

You will not get a 90 day extension here.

If you were on tourist visa or an exempt entry you could apply for a conversion to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry. You would need to meet the financial requiements for the extesnion based upon retirement.

You can get a non-o visa from a nearby embassy or consulate that will give you a 90 entry,.

The rules only says that applicant must have been on a non-imm. visa, of which ED visa is a category like O.

Shouldn't the OP be able to change reason for extension at immigration ?

He could but he will not have the money in the bank for 60 days when his extension ends.

He may be able to do the combination method if he can get the income letter.

Thanks for your reply Ubonjoe, and Paz for your input. You are right about my planning Paz, but my money has been tied up in an investment and will be available from 1st September.

If I can get a combination of income affidavit and money in a Thai bank totalling ฿800,000+ prior to 14th September, will I be able to change my reason for extension at CW? I would be cutting it really fine, maybe only 2 or 3 days before my current extension ends. What do you think, worth a try?

I think it's worth a try, what happens is that until now there was no requirement for fund to be seasoned when used in combination, but there are reports that offices now want the seasoning in that case too. CW is not known to be an easy office to deal with, you may have better chances in Jomtien.

If there's any doubt, it's probably better I go outside Thailand....I can make it a holiday too. Posts here suggest Laos is the best country to go to. I would like to spend a week in Phnom Penh as I have some friends there, but they are not the most friendly staff at the Consulate. Last time I used an Agent, not expensive and very good service. Do you have any recent information on Phnom Penh Consulate dealings?

When I go for my non-O Visa, what financial proof do they require?

Thanks in advance again.

Thanks, but do you mean money in a Thai bank or my Oz bank?

If a Thai bank I wont have the full amount because I will be using the combo method. If my Oz account I don't have a bank book, so will a statement suffice?

Since you are going to need it anyway you could go the Oz embassy and do the statutory declaration for you income before going for the visa. Immigration will accept them that are up to 6 months old.

Then you could attach a copy to your visa application and show the original if they wanted to see it.

Having you a bank statement would probably be a accepted.