Retirement Visa - 3 Months Max Stay?

The only visa for retirement is the O-A which you obtain with a medical/police certificate/money in bank account and that allows a 12 months stay upon entry and you extend each year in country thereafter (retirement extension of stay). There is no need to ever leave Thailand as long as you continue to meet the requirements and obtain the new extension each year.

While in Thailand you must make address reports to an immigration every 90 days (of continuous stay) with the above.

There is a multi entry non immigrant O visa that allows stays of up to 90 days on each entry and is valid for one year - this is not really a "retirement" visa but is sometimes called that. It can be extended for retirement inside Thailand.

There is a multi entry non immigrant O visa that allows stays of up to 90 days on each entry and is valid for one year - this is not really a "retirement" visa but is sometimes called that. It can be extended for retirement inside Thailand.

Ahh, ok. That's what the person was referring to. Thanks.

Actually, one more question if you don't mind.

That amount in the bank - does that have to stay permanently in there, like a bond that you have to show every 12 months, or is it just a one-off?

Cheers.

You need to show it each time you extend (every year). What happens to it during the year is up to you once you have the extension. Many people live off it and top up just before the extension is due.

That amount in the bank - does that have to stay permanently in there, like a bond that you have to show every 12 months, or is it just a one-off?

Good question.

No, it is not a bond.

You can withdraw any or all of the money at any time during the year.

You are not obligated to withdraw all of it, but if you didn't withdraw a substantial amount, I imagine immigration would wonder how you are paying for your living expenses here.

You must show the full amount (normally 800,000 baht) once per year.

And you must provide a letter from the bank stating that the money was received from outside Thailand.

You can not just walk in to the bank and deposit some cash.

That is to ensure you are not earning money from within Thailand, whilst staying on a retirement visa.

The visa officer will want to see your bankbook -- and they will look through it carefully.

I assume they are looking to see if you are taking money out in frequent amounts, as would someone who is using those funds for normal, monthly, expenses.

If the money went in and then was withdrawn quickly in one lump sum, you probably would have some explaining to do.

So, it's not a bond in the sense like a deposit on an apartment that only gets refunded (if you're lucky) when you leave.

But it's a kind of bond in the sense that you have to always keep at least that amount, or in combination with other income, in order to show it once a year. Or if you spend a good deal of it, you better be sure you'll be able to replenish it back up.

Which makes me wonder why the significant jump to 800,000 from 200,000, considering that living costs are far cheaper than in the West - a large chunk of the Thai population live on around or even less than 5,000 a month.

Cheers.

So, it's not a bond in the sense like a deposit on an apartment that only gets refunded (if you're lucky) when you leave.

But it's a kind of bond in the sense that you have to always keep at least that amount, or in combination with other income, in order to show it once a year. Or if you spend a good deal of it, you better be sure you'll be able to replenish it back up.

Which makes me wonder why the significant jump to 800,000 from 200,000, considering that living costs are far cheaper than in the West - a large chunk of the Thai population live on around or even less than 5,000 a month.

Cheers.

If you live in Bangkok, Pattaya or an other touristic place, then 800k is not too much.

For example you become seriously ill must pay extra costs, accident and so on. And don't forget the costs of living are rising in LOS... and you want to live.

IMO 800k is fairly for retirement visas - but not all has. The amount has included a insurance for unexpected things can happen.

Cheers.

I would be very interested to see a breakdown of how any farang could exist on ฿5,000 per month. :o

And ฿200,000 per year would provide little more than subsistence in my view.

Yes, I know that some farang say they can and do survive on incredulously low amounts, but one has to wonder about their standard of living and quality of life.

That said, ฿800,000 is probably above the average annual expenditure of all retired farang living in Thailand, but there is no requirement to spend nor bring in that amount each year.

Some spend far more than that, others do not, but all must show that foreign sourced balance at the time they apply for an extension unless they have qualifying income.

Why the capital requirement for a foreigner married to a Thai is half that of a retired foreigner (whether or not he is married) remains a mystery, but those are the rules... :D

Hello,

Can someone answer this? I believe that even if you have such a visa, which is 12 month validity, you still have to leave every 3 months, even if it's just a quick day trip to the border. Correct or not?

TIA.

i think your confusing the retirement visa with 1 year multi entry that i used to get in uk. i had those for 3 years from thai consulate in uk before changing to retirement visa. on that visa you had to leave every 3 months whuch did not bother me since i then travelled so much now i travel less i have normal retirement visa and just have to report every 90 days

And you must provide a letter from the bank stating that the money was received from outside Thailand.

You can not just walk in to the bank and deposit some cash.

That is to ensure you are not earning money from within Thailand, whilst staying on a retirement visa.

sorry for last reply some one already answered origonal query

but ive just renewed for 2nd time my one year retirement visa and did not have to show 800,000 came from abroad (idid have to prove that on first retirement visa). Dont know maybe i was lucky or just that immigration officer or my bank book shows a spend of around 200,000 baht a month - yes i spend a lot on buying shares here or houses or whatever. I did have ot have letter form bank confirming the balance which i really cant understand why they cannot accept entries in bank book or for that matter why on my original retirement visa they could not accept entry in my bank book which says FT for foreign transfer but then I cant understand why my utilitiy bills for 4 years in my name (elec, ubc, water etc) are not accepted as prrof of my ohme here but a silly letter form embassy who dont know if i live here or not is fine but TIT

I meant to get back to this sooner but have been tied up. Thanks for the replies, they pretty much answer my query.

Just one more question: the visa is valid for a year, and you never have to leave. But what if you want to have a holiday, say a week or two in Bali or Hong Kong, or maybe return to the West to visit family, what happens then?

I was at the immigration office a few weeks ago and noticed they have a counter giving re-entry permits. Is one of those the go? Or do you just get another 12 months when you arrive back?

Cheers.

Just one more question: the visa is valid for a year, and you never have to leave. But what if you want to have a holiday, say a week or two in Bali or Hong Kong, or maybe return to the West to visit family, what happens then?

I was at the immigration office a few weeks ago and noticed they have a counter giving re-entry permits. Is one of those the go? Or do you just get another 12 months when you arrive back?

It depends on whether your non-immigrant O-A visa is valid for a single entry or for multiple entries. Which is it?

---------------

Maestro

You say in another post you are talking about a multi entry non immigrant O visa and for that you must leave every 90 days or less. You do not need a re entry permit as you are not on an extension of stay.

If you have a multi entry non immigrant O-A visa (issued with police clearance/medical/money in home country bank) you receive a one year entry stay and each time during the year of its validity will receive the same. You do not need a re entry permit.

If you have a single entry non immigrant O-A (issued as above) you receive one 12 month stay upon entry and will require a re entry permit prior to leaving Thailand to keep that entry valid.

If you have an extension of stay issued by immigration inside Thailand for one year you must also obtain a re-entry permit prior to leaving Thailand to keep that entry valid.

A re entry permit costs 1,000 baht. A multi re entry permit costs 3,800 baht. A single permit is valid until used or the date of your permitted to stay stamp. A multi is valid until the date of your permitted to stay stamp (unlimited travel).

It depends on whether your non-immigrant O-A visa is valid for a single entry or for multiple entries. Which is it?

I haven't got it yet, still in the enquiry stage. Right now I have just the 30 day stamp from the border. Cheers.

You say in another post you are talking about a multi entry non immigrant O visa and for that you must leave every 90 days or less. You do not need a re entry permit as you are not on an extension of stay.

Actually, I didn't have one of them, it was just what I had heard. It seemed a pretty poor retirement visa if it forced you to leave every 90 days.

If you have a multi entry non immigrant O-A visa (issued with police clearance/medical/money in home country bank) you receive a one year entry stay and each time during the year of its validity will receive the same. You do not need a re entry permit.

If you have a single entry non immigrant O-A (issued as above) you receive one 12 month stay upon entry and will require a re entry permit prior to leaving Thailand to keep that entry valid.

If you have an extension of stay issued by immigration inside Thailand for one year you must also obtain a re-entry permit prior to leaving Thailand to keep that entry valid.

A re entry permit costs 1,000 baht. A multi re entry permit costs 3,800 baht. A single permit is valid until used or the date of your permitted to stay stamp. A multi is valid until the date of your permitted to stay stamp (unlimited travel).

So, after reading the above as well as http://www.thaivisa.com/318.0.html, please correct me if I'm wrong:

Firstly, I have to leave the country in order to get a non-imm O 90 day visa (Penang would be the obvious choice), then come back in and present all the paperwork and then receive an O-A, which gives me a year, with the ability to extend it indefinitely, each time for an additional year. Then, irregardless of whether the visa is single or multiple entry, if I wish to leave I can just apply for a single or multiple re-entry permit, depending on my plans.

Also, is there any maximum period to be away for, or is it OK as long as you get back a few days before the visa/extension expires?

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated. Cheers.

Firstly, I have to leave the country in order to get a non-imm O 90 day visa (Penang would be the obvious choice), then come back in and present all the paperwork and then receive an O-A, which gives me a year, with the ability to extend it indefinitely, each time for an additional year. Then, irregardless of whether the visa is single or multiple entry, if I wish to leave I can just apply for a single or multiple re-entry permit, depending on my plans.

Also, is there any maximum period to be away for, or is it OK as long as you get back a few days before the visa/extension expires?

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated. Cheers.

Basically correct, you get an O-visa on reasons of wishing to retire. Inside the country you extent with proper paperwork and Baht 800K in the account. This is not an O-A and not a visa but a permission for extention of stay. Once granted this, get a reentry - permit, if you wish to leave temporarely. The re-entry permit will be valid same periood as the extention of permission to stay.

Basically correct, you get an O-visa on reasons of wishing to retire. Inside the country you extent with proper paperwork and Baht 800K in the account. This is not an O-A and not a visa but a permission for extention of stay. Once granted this, get a reentry - permit, if you wish to leave temporarely. The re-entry permit will be valid same periood as the extention of permission to stay.

So if it's not an O-A what does lopburi3 mean when he says in Post #2, "The only visa for retirement is the O-A".

What's the difference?

Cheers.

The O-A is a visa with a pre approved extension of stay for one year on the basis of (long stay) retirement that you obtain in your Home country and provides a one year permitted to stay on entry.

You may be able to obtain a non immigrant O (other) visa to check on retirement options (or visit family etc.) and use "retirement" for an extension of stay for that visa (the visa would not have been issued "for" retirement by a Consulate).

The O-A is a visa with a pre approved extension of stay for one year on the basis of (long stay) retirement that you obtain in your Home country and provides a one year permitted to stay on entry.

You may be able to obtain a non immigrant O (other) visa to check on retirement options (or visit family etc.) and use "retirement" for an extension of stay for that visa (the visa would not have been issued "for" retirement by a Consulate).

OK, now I see the difference.

But when you say, "may be able to", that indicates uncertainity. You know of others who have done this, or is it a case of it's rumored to be possible? Cheers.

The final decision for granting a visa is with the consular officer. If the application sounds plausible the visa will be granted, something missing, than "may be" not.

Yes, I had two friends who, last year went through the procedures iwth O-visa and got extented permission to stay, based on retirement.

The final decision for granting a visa is with the consular officer. If the application sounds plausible the visa will be granted, something missing, than "may be" not.

Yes, I had two friends who, last year went through the procedures iwth O-visa and got extented permission to stay, based on retirement.

Right, OK, sounds good. Thanks.

Right, OK, sounds good. Thanks.

Each consular office seems to make up its’ own rules from time to time –and nobody on this or any other site knows what criteria are being used at any time.

You can apply for an O visa on the basis you are considering retirement. Maybe it will be granted or maybe not. Probably not if applying outside your country of citizenship.

If not, or if you want certainty, simply apply for a single entry tourist visa and change to “O” retirement visa in Thailand. It is a very very easy process – doesn’t need a lawyer.