Change operating system

Swamp Thing

This is getting very interesting, if a little mind-boggling. I appreciate being able to ask fellow computer users direct questions.

Let's see if I've understood this correctly.

The problem I have is that I've got various programs, music studios etc, on the computer for which I have no disks. I could do a custom install of Windows 7, but I would lose those programs. That may have to happen and if so, I can live with it.

But, from reading the replies on this thread, I have come up with a cunning plan. (But I don't know if it's possible).

I could install an additional hard drive in the computer. I've checked out some vids on YouTube and I think I might be able to do it. I could then install Windows 7 on this hard drive and use it to access the internet. I would then still have my programs available on the other hard drive.

Cunning or crap? Opinions please.

If you do a complete install of Windows 7 on a separate disk, it should detect your existing Win XP installation on the other disk and add it to the Boot menu, so that you can dual boot Windows 7 or XP, yes.

Take a backup first, obviously, and do some reading.

Exactly. You'd have to dual boot, not so convenient. On a new machine, this won't work because of the different hardware. If your XP is a retail version, you could work around that problem, but you probably have an HP OEM version tied to that machine.

A slick solution would be to convert your XP installation into a virtual machine as described here (though that may not have been an OEM's XP) but it's complicated and your software may not run so well, esp given the low spec of your current machine.

You could give us a list of the programs in question and somebody might have some insight about working around your problem.

It's not a low spec machine. Processor is capable of virtualisation. RAM can be increased significantly and easily. Inexpensive Graphics card can be fitted. All simple and relatively inexpensive. As long as the hardware is sound, there is a lot of life and expandability in that machine.

Oh--we're gonna expand the currently low-spec machine! biggrin.png

Yep, sure could.

I don't consider an Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 and 2GB of RAM to be low spec. That will run Windows 7 without a stutter.

My point was to illustrate to the OP that there is a lot more than machine can do, for not a lot more money.

I've just done an online search to see if I can find any of my programs on cnet etc and I'm glad I did. The only one I can't find available for free is Photoshop, which I will buy, if necessary.

I've visited the HP website, as suggested by Jiu-Jitsu, and I can do a custom install of Windows 7 from there.

I will buy an external hard drive, which I've been intending to buy for some time, and put my documents on there.

Thanks again to all for your input,.A few days ago i was clueless as to what to do and could easily have blundered into complicated problems. With your help, I have a good plan.

Cheers.

So there you go. Me, I'd get an external hard drive enclosure and putting your old 500 in there, then put a new 1 TB in the computer itself for the Win 7 installation. You can do a quick health check w/ CrystalDiskInfo: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/CrystalDiskInfo.shtml.

BTW, downloads from Cnet are often packaged w/ various forms of spyware. I prefer to download from Softpedia, MajorGeeks or Freewarefiles.

After the installation's cool, it would be well to create an image of it if you have room to save it on the external drive.

I totally agree (FWIW) that an upgrade to 7, as I originally suggested, is a good thing to do. You might easily get another 5 years out of your computer. So let us know how it goes.

I don't consider an Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 and 2GB of RAM to be low spec. That will run Windows 7 without a stutter.

My point was to illustrate to the OP that there is a lot more than machine can do, for not a lot more money.

And so you did. I enjoyed your illustratin', too. smile.png

Reminds me. OP, if you're switching out hard drives, then while you're in there, add another 2 GB of RAM. I'm not gonna bother researching, but you probably got 1 stick currently and an extra slot for another one. Your computer will bless you for it.

And so you did. I enjoyed your illustratin', too. smile.png

Reminds me. OP, if you're switching out hard drives, then while you're in there, add another 2 GB of RAM. I'm not gonna bother researching, but you probably got 1 stick currently and an extra slot for another one. Your computer will bless you for it.

Best advice of the lot.

Windows love memory like Monkey love banana.

I would either use Win7 or wait for Win9

Also I would recommend to make a complete backup. In case you run into some problems. Say a driver is missing. You don't want to waste hours re-installing winxp.

• 2 months later...

I'm on the case.

I've bought a WD My Passport Ultra and I am copying my files onto it.

The scary bit is that when I install Windows 7, everything will be erased, so I've got to be confident that all my files are safely on the Passport and can be transferred.

I am intending to buy a 2GB RAM and either install it myself or pay a geek to do it. Does anybody know of a computer shop where i might get this done, in the area of Pattaya?

You might want to consider putting Win 7 on your clunker....I have an 8 year old Toshiba A100 series laptop running a one core old ass Celeron CPU with 2GB of memory (but it only recongnizes 1.5GB) and it runs fine with Win 7....and I didn't even load any of the Toshiba specific laptop drivers...just used the Win 7 drivers that automatically loaded. Also put a SSD in it which gave it a very nice boost in performance.

+ 1 Why not using W 7 and having 2 GB of memory will be okay when running the 32 bit version. I'd reckon to use Acronis True Image, only save your files, not the programs as most are not compatible with Windows 7.

Your Toshiba is using 500 MB for the operating system, so it shows that 1.5 GB are usable.

My new school computer runs Windows 8 and I hate it. Even considering to put Windows 7 on it. Too many problems with this program.

I'm on the case.

I've bought a WD My Passport Ultra and I am copying my files onto it.

The scary bit is that when I install Windows 7, everything will be erased, so I've got to be confident that all my files are safely on the Passport and can be transferred.

I am intending to buy a 2GB RAM and either install it myself or pay a geek to do it. Does anybody know of a computer shop where i might get this done, in the area of Pattaya?

Google for a program called driveimageXML. If the external drive is big enough you can save an image of your whole drive, in case you forget something like your bookmarks, favorites or email configuration

sent from my slimkat 1+ using tapatalk

• 8 months later...

"bump"

The upgrade is happening.

I'm going to leave the memory in the computer as it is. I've backed up all my files and folders onto two separate external hard drives.

I'm going from xp to Windows 7.

Apparently, the free offer of Windows 7 from HP has expired, so I will have to buy a disc.

Before I do this, can anybody see any potential problems? (I have read through the previous replies to this thread and they seem to say it is ok).

"bump"

I'm going to leave the memory in the computer as it is. I've backed up all my files and folders onto two separate external hard drives.

Apparently, the free offer of Windows 7 from HP has expired, so I will have to buy a disc.

Before I do this, can anybody see any potential problems? (I have read through the previous replies to this thread and they seem to say it is ok).

Win7 was released over 6 years ago. Everyone else is upgrading from Win7 & 8 to Win10 today. Are you stuck in some time warp?

"bump"

Steady on, old chap. It's been only a year since you started. I think you should slow down a bit...

biggrin.png

I'm sure there are other sources of Win 7 without having to resort to buying a dizc, not that I would give any clues.

"bump"

Steady on, old chap. It's been only a year since you started. I think you should slow down a bit...

biggrin.png

I'm sure there are other sources of Win 7 without having to resort to buying a dizc, not that I would give any clues.

I offered to do the job properly last year. Unfortunately the OP chose to waste my time. Now the best technical advice he can get is to use a Loader?

Hi OP, are you still at it? Please let me tell how I would do this?

I would get Macrium Reflect Free and clone my existing HDD to one of the externals. Now you have two in case you don't like what happens. You don't have to drag and drop your files as a backup - the clone will have everything, even things you might forget. You can surf it as an external and drag and drop anything you want. It's the total backup including the functioning OS.

I would install 7 as an upgrade - in place. If that worked well you'd still have all of your programs, etc. If it blew up on you, you could run Macrium again and clone the one that messed up from the other clone and be back where you started but with two. You could also just install the clone in your computer, boot and be back where you started.

The clone would be available as a backup too, from which you could get your files later if you decided to do a clean install. I'd keep that clone for a looooong time.

A clone is an exact duplicate of what you have.

Cheers.

"bump"

biggrin.png

I offered to do the job properly last year. Unfortunately the OP chose to waste my time. Now the best technical advice he can get is to use a Loader?

It's not the best, but is the cheapest.

Hello and thanks for the replies.

Jiu-Jitsu, from what I can remember, I didn't waste your time. I told you to stick your pm because you accused me of being slow to take advice. What's a year between friends?

NeverSure, I like this idea, now I've just got to build up the confidence to do it. I'm fine on the basic functions of a computer, copy/paste, Powerpoint etc, but when it comes to shifting my hdd, I'm wary. If at any point it doesn't work, I'll be at a loss. Thanks for the tip.

I've been given a boxed cd which says it is Windows 7 Service Pack 1 PS 654. It seems to me that it may just be the service pack without the operating system. Does anybody agree?

Jetset, I'll check out your suggestion.

I'm getting 'round to it. Slowly, cautiously.

"bump"

biggrin.png

It's not the best, but is the cheapest.

Doing it properly would have cost nothing. Really.

Jiu-Jitsu, from what I can remember, I didn't waste your time. I told you to stick your pm because you accused me of being slow to take advice. What's a year between friends?

NeverSure, I like this idea, now I've just got to build up the confidence to do it. I'm fine on the basic functions of a computer, copy/paste, Powerpoint etc, but when it comes to shifting my hdd, I'm wary. If at any point it doesn't work, I'll be at a loss. Thanks for the tip.

I've been given a boxed cd which says it is Windows 7 Service Pack 1 PS 654. It seems to me that it may just be the service pack without the operating system. Does anybody agree?

Oh... so that was the reason why I put you on ignore.

I think it's clear that you are slow to take advice. Have fun.

He is not slow to take advice, he is clearly not experienced in upgrading computers or playing with hardware, and is checking all advice given from every angle. It takes time.

He is clearly just a user of programmes such as editors and office utilities. It takes a lot of confidence to start installing operating systems. Before I built the PC I'm using now, I took a lot of time - months - investigating the process and persuading myself I could do it. This is the phase he is going through.

I had a guy like you giving me advice about which components to buy for my "super computer". He got really irritated by the time I was taking researching and checking all the advice he was giving me - he took it as an affront to his superior intellect. He thought I was being a cheap charlie and didn't want the expensive parts he was suggesting. In the end he said he wanted money up front before he would give me any more advice! So we parted ways and I built it myself.

In the end, the machine I eventually built was even more expensive than the one he was suggesting.

Not everyone is experienced in this work. Give this guy a break.

He is not slow to take advice, he is clearly not experienced in upgrading computers or playing with hardware, and is checking all advice given from every angle. It takes time.

He is clearly just a user of programmes such as editors and office utilities. It takes a lot of confidence to start installing operating systems. Before I built the PC I'm using now, I took a lot of time - months - investigating the process and persuading myself I could do it. This is the phase he is going through.

I had a guy like you giving me advice about which components to buy for my "super computer". He got really irritated by the time I was taking researching and checking all the advice he was giving me - he took it as an affront to his superior intellect. He thought I was being a cheap charlie and didn't want the expensive parts he was suggesting. In the end he said he wanted money up front before he would give me any more advice! So we parted ways and I built it myself.

In the end, the machine I eventually built was even more expensive than the one he was suggesting.

Not everyone is experienced in this work. Give this guy a break.

Yeah...all of this would make sense if I had asked him to purchase or to fiddle with anything. I simply asked him to run a piece of software so that I could identify his Motherboard firmware and explained to him the reason for running the software.

Then he would have had the solution sitting in his Inbox for as long as he liked, until he was ready. But what he did was ask for help and when I offered it, he did not even acknowledge receipt of the guide that I had written for him.

It would have been completely different if he had written, "Thank you, I'll take a look at this later"

So, before you stick your oar in...take a look around wink.png.

If you go back to the first page of this thread, you'll see that even last August wasn't the first time that we communicated about his machine. So I would say that taking more than ONE YEAR to simply run a piece of software is SLOW.

Never mind, he has your expertise at hand now, so I can relax.

if you are bored...read up on linux tahrpuppy.

You can install it on a thumbdrive and it will work great on an old computer.

Loads in ram..and is superfast.

I am not into the games as much...and windows is a bore for me.....cleaning, maintaining, upgrading, updates, micro management.

Linuxt TahrPuppy is a pleasure...and I can carry the thumb drive, with my files...anywhere. Free, as well. Not complicated. Very light, and pleasurable hobby..to learn, and a life changer.

I still have windows installed on the harddrive....but my live linux (since it runs in ram..and saves on the flash drive) does not leave traces or viruses on my hard drive.

Just saying... some people are scared to try something new....but you can still use your browser,and the programs are just as good...and all free. No worry about pirated software...and if customs ever confiscates your laptop...you still have your thumb drive..with the operating system on in (and all your important files).

1 year, 2 years, what's the hurry? Everybody wants to do things in a rush, racing to an early grave.

By the way, J-J, concerning the mail containing the piece of software you sent me, I only read it a few days ago, as I decided to cut off my nose to spite my face and not read it when sent, when you were rude in your replies. Thank you for the software, I'm sure you were being kind.

Thanks for the Linux suggestion, SL, it looks interesting.

I will get a new operating system. Eventually.

Archived