Selling Gold in Thailand

I am planning on another holiday in LOS this winter and was trying to think of a way to bring spend money. I previously used ATM cards and Credit Cards. I hate getting dinged twice every time I use the ATM card and many places there do not take credit cards. I have a credit card with no foreign transaction fee, but the exchange rate is not great. I was thinking is it possible (or legal) to bring pure gold to sell at the gold shops there? I know it is a way of life as the locals frequently buy and sell the local Thai gold. It would not be much more than once or two. It could be in the form of gold bars or coin. Is this a viable way to bring money in the country?

Thanks!

So far I know is the import of gold in Thailand illegal!

So you can chancel your project now!

Only if you want sale gold chain that's allowed but not bars and coins

Because the Thai gold is here more important and it's material itself clarity higher then the ,normal, gold

... or just bring cash.

Just make certain you have a safe place to keep it, and don't tell any one that you are carrying large amounts of cash. Usually Chinese money lenders give you a better rate than any banks or money changers,

• Like 1

Because the Thai gold is here more important and it's material itself clarity higher then the ,normal, gold

yes, clarity is very high cheesy.gif

what makes you think bringing gold into thailand is illegal Theirs no tax on gold. You can also bring in silver but need to declare it and pay 7% tax but gold has no tax or duty here

Ive brought gold into and out of Thialand many times and into other countries and even declared it but since theirs no tax no problem

You can import/export gold bullion, but an import or export license is required. In fact, they can confiscate it at customs until you can have a license made or get a licensed importer to get it. I doubt this will be an issue for small amounts, but I remember recently a South Korean national was trying to leave Thailand with a bunch of bullion without the correct doc's. don't remember the whole story.

what makes you think bringing gold into thailand is illegal Theirs no tax on gold. You can also bring in silver but need to declare it and pay 7% tax but gold has no tax or duty here

Ive brought gold into and out of Thialand many times and into other countries and even declared it but since theirs no tax no problem

Yes, always better to do any exchanged involving THB in Thailand. Bring $100 and $50's as larger bills get a better exchange rate. Make sure they are new/newer and clean bills. Many exchanges will not accept old or blemished bills.

OK,o your is is better to bring US to Thailand? Where would be the best place to exchange for THB?