Thai editorial: Path to democracy already constricted

webfact

The problem is that there is actual role model for a democratic process as we see it from a western standpoint.

Asian society is a society of patronage and as such that system encourage creative solutions to problems i.e bribery and corruption and of course the abuse of power and position.

We can but hope that the birth of the child of a more democratic society may have just begun. however to bring the child of democracy up is not going to be an easy task.Grandparents with vested interests and other relatives will try to influence that child to achieve, retain or consolidate their own viewpoints.

So the child may be chastised and disciplined at times thus causing that child and society to throw a tantrum or three or more,such actions and outcomes are part of the process of growing up and maturing.

Regarding the background of Prayuth being ''military;; yes that is so, however we would do well not to forget that the Thai people (in fact Asians in general) do not have the western outlook on democracy which in the majority of cases in the west is a stoutly defended individual right , there is a big difference twixt east and west.

So perhaps if there was a little less conjecture on the matter of democracy and its subsequent progress by the assorted parties we might just find that Thailand and its peoples will actually move forward.

The O.P. reminds me of those critics who pan a publication, movie stage play etc based upon their preferences and their personal thoughts yet that which they decry goes on to become a success.

So why don't we all wait to see how things go ?

Time whether we like it or not is not of the essence such reforms as proposed take months nay years before they actually start to affect the country deeply.

We are dealing with an ingrained set of values and traditions as opposeed to the packaging of some factory product which is easily changed after a short period of research.

Do any of us in reality expect to see a dramatic change occur within weeks?

No I somehow doubt it.

Looking at European history and I should include American history too I think the various revolutions,uprisings, government overthrows etc we note that change has taken time and indeed sometimes those changes have proved as bloody as the events that led to changes in the ruling bodies..

Slow process hopefully will breed a strong child of democracy which will hopefully mature into a responsible caring adult democracy along with the ability, willingness and the intelligence to defend its views and its family the Thai people in the coming years.

Asians in general? Wow! Of the some 3 billion people considered to be Asians, you do have some scientific data about what the think "in general"?

You should apply for a Nobel prize, mate.

"But, to their disappointment, the junta appointed the same old faces to oversee energy reform. This elite club has played a key and continuous role in managing energy policy over the years, no matter who is in government. In his weekly televised address Prime Minister Prayuth said activists who stage street rallies demanding energy reform know nothing about these issues but are instead spreading false information."

Demonstrators and voters know nothing about the issues. Leave it to the good men to make the right decisions and select proper management talent from the correct candidates within the elite circle. All voices opposing this are victims of false information. False information is a threat to national security and leads to divisiveness, confusion, disharmony and ultimately unhappiness.

That's some classic sarcasm there 96tehtarp. cheesy.gif

Err...that is sarcasm, right?

We are still under martial law, right?

I fully support the NCPO and their edicts, proclamations, and anything else they do. Resistance is futile and illegal. They've said so repeatedly. Everyone is happy now, myself included. My favorite color is green, ask anyone.

And Martial Law will remain. That won't change because Papa's got a brand new suit.

Head of the government,

Head of of the only power to remove him, the army,

And shielded by martial law to arrest any vocal opposition to new policy's or policy makers.

Check mate, now bring in the elite to share the spoils as they understand what the people need and have the correct information.

Be happy I tell you!

This is not a forum about Australia. Thailand's democracy DOES allow for changes in the constitution, piecemeal, as allowed very recently by a Supreme Court decision. Watch the video and then comment on what a democracy is.

Therin lies the problem. Thailand would be a much more stable country if the constitution could only be changed by a referendum, and the military was not able to rip it up with impunity. Coup after coup, because the military are always immune from the consequences of whatever actions they take.

You seem to be 'conveniently' forgetting the last Thaksin Yingluck government wanting to change how Senators were selected, among other changes to the Constitution. Of course, you have been consistently one-sided in your posts.

BTW, if it weren't for the occasional coup, Thailand would have an oligarchy by now because the form of populist democracy they have been following is unsustainable. Thaksin would have been the equivalent of Cambodia's Hun Sen i.e. President for Life, if it hadn't been for a coup. (Not that that matters to you; who loves Thaksin more than Thai people)

Thailand has always been an oligarchy. Now it's a tyranny.

rametindallas:

Wrong wrong wrong again, for sake of argument you read things that simply are not there, there is nothing, in my comment, that would even insinuate that Thailand and Australia's constitutions are/were the same, although if Thailand followed Australia's constitution it may be better off,. You seem to be anti-democracy, democracy may not be perfect but it is the best model, for government, we have... maybe you can suggest something better. Given since 1932 Thailand has had 19 coups, 12 successful, and almost 50% of the time been under a military government, then many would consider it an oligarchy.

Democracy does NOT allow the constitution to be changed, this is the failure, in the first place, to implement a secure constitution, take Australia, the constitution can NOT be changed without the consent of the people, this being in the form of a referendum, something very foreign to Thailand.

You directly compared democracy in Thailand to democracy in Australia re: how the constitution could be changed by referendum. This is superfluous information and has no bearing whatsoever on 'democracy in Thailand'.

You seem to be anti-democracy, democracy may not be perfect but it is the best model, for government, we have... maybe you can suggest something better

I am anti-democracy and I did suggest something better. It is in the video that you were too lazy/not intellectually curious enough to watch. All democracies devolve into oligarchies. The EU is being run/run into the ground by 'elite' in Brussels who know more than anyone what is the best way to rule every segment of people's lives. Just like the US Federal government is co-opting the individual power of the American States, Brussels in subsuming all the power that once belonged to the individual member states in the EU. All their rules are not necessary but are imposed because the have the power. Their democracy is being displaced by a oligarchy in Brussels. This is ALWAYS the case with democracy as it is an unsustainable form of government.

"That government is best which governs least." - Henry David Thoreau's Civil Disobedience (1849)

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

Watch the video and stop arguing about which you know little.

• Like 1

"As such he is unfamiliar with the relative chaos of an open society, where people cherish the ability to freely voice contrary opinions and demands."

I (almost) start to feel sorry for the poor chap. Might that have been the intention of the topic ?

You seem to be 'conveniently' forgetting the last Thaksin Yingluck government wanting to change how Senators were selected, among other changes to the Constitution. Of course, you have been consistently one-sided in your posts.

BTW, if it weren't for the occasional coup, Thailand would have an oligarchy by now because the form of populist democracy they have been following is unsustainable. Thaksin would have been the equivalent of Cambodia's Hun Sen i.e. President for Life, if it hadn't been for a coup. (Not that that matters to you; who loves Thaksin more than Thai people)

People here have been telling me so many times that THailand was a democracy that I almost started to believe that. Luckily you as Thai put me on the right track again.

This is not a forum about Australia. Thailand's democracy DOES allow for changes in the constitution, piecemeal, as allowed very recently by a Supreme Court decision. Watch the video and then comment on what a democracy is.

Therin lies the problem. Thailand would be a much more stable country if the constitution could only be changed by a referendum, and the military was not able to rip it up with impunity. Coup after coup, because the military are always immune from the consequences of whatever actions they take.

Tyranny is not a form of government. In your mind, anything short of Dr. Thaksin being in complete control is 'tyranny'.

Bitter, much?

Tyranny is not a form of government. In your mind, anything short of Dr. Thaksin being in complete control is 'tyranny'.

Bitter, much?

It's not about Thaksin - never has been.

Anything short of the people choosing their own government is tyranny.

The noble struggle that began in 1932 continues.

The last thing Thailand needs is 'Democracy'. If destroyed ancient Greece and eventually destroyed Rome. What Thailand need is 'Rule of Law' and not rule by mob/majority that is Democracy. I live in a Republic which respects and assures personal rights by rule of law and not 'whim of politician'. Democracy is what allows Thai politicians to change their constitution at the drop of a hat to suit their current needs. Democracy is fed by populism where the dwindling number of 'haves' support an ever-growing number of 'have nots'. It is unsustainable.

For your edification: The American form of government.

http://www.wimp.com/thegovernment/

You must have really loved old Adolf; a democracy puts in place a government via its electorate that enacts laws for all its citizens, that government is accountable to its citizens both through the ballot box and its enacted laws. This ensures that any corrupt politician or megalomaniac generals are subject to the full force of these laws.

Thailand has failed to tackle the power of its military for the past eighty years and will continue to do so as every time there is a coup the constitution is re-written by a bunch of unelected so called elite who manipulate it to their own advantage.

Bitter, much?

It is ALWAYS about Thaksin with Thanet; that is to whom my reply was directed.

One can have tyranny even when the people choose their own government.

Bitter, much?

That's why elections are held, if necessary, the people can correct earlier decisions.

Democracy, the best system ever invented.

Can't understand how you oppose it.

The last thing Thailand needs is 'Democracy'. If destroyed ancient Greece and eventually destroyed Rome. What Thailand need is 'Rule of Law' and not rule by mob/majority that is Democracy. I live in a Republic which respects and assures personal rights by rule of law and not 'whim of politician'. Democracy is what allows Thai politicians to change their constitution at the drop of a hat to suit their current needs. Democracy is fed by populism where the dwindling number of 'haves' support an ever-growing number of 'have nots'. It is unsustainable.

You must have really loved old Adolf; a democracy puts in place a government via its electorate that enacts laws for all its citizens, that government is accountable to its citizens both through the ballot box and its enacted laws. This ensures that any corrupt politician or megalomaniac generals are subject to the full force of these laws.

Thailand has failed to tackle the power of its military for the past eighty years and will continue to do so as every time there is a coup the constitution is re-written by a bunch of unelected so called elite who manipulate it to their own advantage.

You have some serious reading comprehension problems. If you watched the video, or studied history, you would know that Mr. Hitler used democracy as a stepping stone to oligarchy (same as Thaksin was attempting). Democracy, because it is so malleable and bendable to the fickle/easily manipulated whims of the 'electorate' is NOT a stable form or government nor is it accountable to the people (except in theory) as witnessed by the way incumbents are almost never kicked out of office by the electorate. Watch the video and stop spouting nonsense.

"But, to their disappointment, the junta appointed the same old faces to oversee energy reform. This elite club has played a key and continuous role in managing energy policy over the years, no matter who is in government. In his weekly televised address Prime Minister Prayuth said activists who stage street rallies demanding energy reform know nothing about these issues but are instead spreading false information."

Demonstrators and voters know nothing about the issues. Leave it to the good men to make the right decisions and select proper management talent from the correct candidates within the elite circle. All voices opposing this are victims of false information. False information is a threat to national security and leads to divisiveness, confusion, disharmony and ultimately unhappiness.

That's some classic sarcasm there 96tehtarp. cheesy.gif

Err...that is sarcasm, right?

We are still under martial law, right?

I fully support the NCPO and their edicts, proclamations, and anything else they do. Resistance is futile and illegal. They've said so repeatedly. Everyone is happy now, myself included. My favorite color is green, ask anyone.

and what color is the "like this" button?

happy happy happy

Bitter, much?

That's why elections are held, if necessary, the people can correct earlier decisions.

You can't understand why I oppose democracy (democracy is not the same thing as holding elections) and I can't understand why you want to remain so ignorant. Watch the video so you can, at least, understand what democracy is and the harm it has caused since early Greece began that form of government.

Your dogma is showing.

Edited by rametindallas

Bitter, much?

You can't understand why I oppose democracy (democracy is not the same thing as holding elections) and I can't understand why you want to remain so ignorant. Watch the video so you can, at least, understand what democracy is and the harm it has caused since early Greece began that form of government.

Your dogma is showing.

Just noticed the Ron Paul quote.

I now realise I'm in the alternate reality Teabag fruit-loop arena.

Churchill had it figured - It has been said democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.

Your dogma is showing.

Churchill had it figured - It has been said democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.

I've already taken notice of you limited observational capabilities.

Always easy to take a cheap-shot ad hominem attack when you have no intellectual argument.

'The Tea Party movement is an American political movement known for advocating a reduction in the U.S. national debt and federal budget deficit by reducing U.S. government spending and taxes' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_Party_movement

If you think this is 'froot-loop', then I am pleased to see how happy you are in your ignorance.

I am a great admirer of Sir Winston Churchill and have read his biography. He was very witty but far from infallible.

Edited by rametindallas

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The problem is that there is actual role model for a democratic process as we see it from a western standpoint.

Asian society is a society of patronage and as such that system encourage creative solutions to problems i.e bribery and corruption and of course the abuse of power and position.

We can but hope that the birth of the child of a more democratic society may have just begun. however to bring the child of democracy up is not going to be an easy task.Grandparents with vested interests and other relatives will try to influence that child to achieve, retain or consolidate their own viewpoints.

So the child may be chastised and disciplined at times thus causing that child and society to throw a tantrum or three or more,such actions and outcomes are part of the process of growing up and maturing.

Regarding the background of Prayuth being ''military;; yes that is so, however we would do well not to forget that the Thai people (in fact Asians in general) do not have the western outlook on democracy which in the majority of cases in the west is a stoutly defended individual right , there is a big difference twixt east and west.

So perhaps if there was a little less conjecture on the matter of democracy and its subsequent progress by the assorted parties we might just find that Thailand and its peoples will actually move forward.

The O.P. reminds me of those critics who pan a publication, movie stage play etc based upon their preferences and their personal thoughts yet that which they decry goes on to become a success.

So why don't we all wait to see how things go ?

Time whether we like it or not is not of the essence such reforms as proposed take months nay years before they actually start to affect the country deeply.

We are dealing with an ingrained set of values and traditions as opposeed to the packaging of some factory product which is easily changed after a short period of research.

Do any of us in reality expect to see a dramatic change occur within weeks?

No I somehow doubt it.

Looking at European history and I should include American history too I think the various revolutions,uprisings, government overthrows etc we note that change has taken time and indeed sometimes those changes have proved as bloody as the events that led to changes in the ruling bodies..

Slow process hopefully will breed a strong child of democracy which will hopefully mature into a responsible caring adult democracy along with the ability, willingness and the intelligence to defend its views and its family the Thai people in the coming years.

"Thai people (in fact Asians in general) do not have the western outlook on democracy which in the majority of cases in the west is a stoutly defended individual right , there is a big difference twixt east and west."

And yet Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Timor-Leste, and Indoneasia have embraced western style democracy. But with China’s growing political, economic and social ties in the region working against democratic processes, nations like Mynamar, Cambodia, Viet Nam, and Thailand will be severly tempted to sacrafice individual rights for the peace and calm of chinese-style governance.

rametindallas said

especially in the way they have turned democracy into a populist driven, mob-rule, winner-take-all proposition

That is the best description I have ever heard of Thailands past attempts at democracy - quote of the year for me

Just think about it though. What people might consider the best model of democracy has convinced an enormous amount of people that whilst they are running the largest fiscal deficits in the world, that they are paying too many taxes and that the solution is to pay less.

Free markets, low taxes and small govt are a fine aspiration. Note the necessity for small govt in that description. Problem is, a politician with a small govt can't achieve anything and society tends to fall to bits when govt gets too small.

On recent president even wrote a cheque to the people.

All govts engage in some form of.populism if that is what you want to call it.

Edited by Thai at Heart

People here have been telling me so many times that THailand was a democracy that I almost started to believe that. Luckily you as Thai put me on the right track again.

Things are not always as they seem. In 1994, for example, Alexander Lukashenko seized power on an anti-corruption ticket. They all do, and he's been in total control ever since.

He's one of the good guys, right?

Do you believe all that you are told in Prayuth's Friday Prayers? Doesn't it grate on you that it gets in the way of regular programming?

Edited by Thanet

Bitter, much?

Eh? Why on earth are you putting words into my mouth? To be honest, I always thought that Thaksin was an arrogant tosser.

But at least he could be kicked out when people got sick of him. Not so with the current lot who took over illegally under the barrel of the gun.

The one good thing about democracy is that justice prevails, in the end. Now the M16 prevails instead and a group of soldiers are running the country. What do they know about anything, other than fighting foreign wars, that is?,

Edited by Thanet

Things are not always as they seem. In 1994, for example, Alexander Lukashenko seized power on an anti-corruption ticket. They all do, and he's been in total control ever since.

Do you believe all that you are told in Prayuth's Friday Prayers? Doesn't it grate on you that it gets in the way of regular programming?

To repeat, people keep telling me they want to return to pre-coup days when Thailand was a democracy. You tell me it was on oligarchy and now we have a tyranny.

Brings me back to the NRC and CDC to finally help put Thailand on the road to democracy.

BTW regarding Belarus, you might want to reread, event and timeline are a bit different from what you describe. Also if you feel to mention Alex L. here you might consider his early 'career' much closer to Thaksin S. career and Thaksin is not part of the topic.

It beggars belief that individuals still champion Fascism , mankind is going backwards.

Guess you could say that the current government comprises many elements of fascism. The only element lacking this far seems to be belligerence toward foreign neighbours.

Other than that, it's getting hard to tell the difference.

Edited by Thanet

To repeat, people keep telling me they want to return to pre-coup days when Thailand was a democracy. You tell me it was on oligarchy and now we have a tyranny.

Brings me back to the NRC and CDC to finally help put Thailand on the road to democracy.

BTW regarding Belarus, you might want to reread, event and timeline are a bit different from what you describe. Also if you feel to mention Alex L. here you might consider his early 'career' much closer to Thaksin S. career and Thaksin is not part of the topic.

Oh no! Here you are still banging on about the NLA, NRC, CBA, ABC, XYZ like they actually mean anything??

Whom do they all report to???

I'll give you a clue: begins with an N, and ends with a CPO.

• Like 1

Oh no! Here you are still banging on about the NLA, NRC, CBA, ABC, XYZ like they actually mean anything??

Whom do they all report to???

I'll give you a clue: begins with an N, and ends with a CPO.

Don't tell me you want them to report to the 'oligarchy' you mentioned?

Furthermore as I wrote in another topic, the NRC has to make sure that they get suficient input from the Thai population to ensure that they proposal will be acceptable to most Thai. If they cannot get such a proposal together they either don't do they work correctly or the Thai couldn't agree on things. Using you as example I lean to the last.

Following the NRC has to tell the NCPO that they can't finish the task allocated with required outcome that it will be acceptable by most Thai. Then the NCPO is faced with a real serious problem. Give the NRC more time or try to enforce a minimal number of reforms. The first meaning the NCPO has to stay and elections need to be postponed, the second only ensures chaos again the moment the NCPO steps down because of impeding elections.

Of course being Thai you may not care ?

rametindallas, on 26 Aug 2014 - 11:45, said:

Democracy does NOT allow the constitution to be changed, this is the failure, in the first place, to implement a secure constitution, take Australia, the constitution can NOT be changed without the consent of the people, this being in the form of a referendum, something very foreign to Thailand.

Well,the original change to the 1997 constitution was by the military in 2006 and there was no referendum for that. The government simply wanted to hold a Democratic referendum to change back to the original elected constitution. The change of a constitution (even when floored ) can take 10 to 100 years. It must be debated through several different government and is almost never tampered with. Like the australian constitution that is going to have a change for the rights of aboriginal people. the 1997 constitution may not have been great to everybody, but there was a faith and trust that mostly it protected all people rights. There is no longer any trust in any constitution that is rewritten,In Thailand as people know it might change at anytime.

Well,the original change to the 1997 constitution was by the military in 2006 and there was no referendum for that. The government simply wanted to hold a Democratic referendum to change back to the original elected constitution. The change of a constitution (even when floored ) can take 10 to 100 years. It must be debated through several different government and is almost never tampered with. Like the australian constitution that is going to have a change for the rights of aboriginal people. the 1997 constitution may not have been great to everybody, but there was a faith and trust that mostly it protected all people rights. There is no longer any trust in any constitution that is rewritten,In Thailand as people know it might change at anytime.

If I remember correctly, there was a popular vote in 2007 about the new Constitution and a majority voted in favour of the new military backed constitution.

At that time people asked what would happen if the new constitution would not get a majority. It was said that in that case the previous Thaksin backed constitution would remain in force.

People voted in favour of the new one.