Hot Salt Beef Sandwiches

I've suddenly got a craving for a hot salt beef sandwich.

I believe it's a Jewish specialty: piles of tender beef brisket on rye bread with hot mustard and pickles. Bad for your health but great taste.

Does anyone know where in Bangkok this might be available?

Cheers!!!

Sonic, now you've done it!!! You have ruined my dinner plans for Indian curry. Does anyone know where I can get the same on Phuket? :o

And now my tastes buds are working overtime at the thought of where in Korat I can get a thick juicy salt beef sandwich! :D

That's the first thing I ate when I went back to visit my relatives. Walked out of the airport and drove to straight to my favorite deli for a giant sized Montreal smoked meat sandwich on rye, mustard and pickle on the side.

I remember someone mentioning previously a deli would open in Pattaya.

sandwichfrontpage3.jpg

That's the first thing I ate when I went back to visit my relatives. Walked out of the airport and drove to straight to my favorite deli for a giant sized Montreal smoked meat sandwich on rye, mustard and pickle on the side.

sandwichfrontpage3.jpg

That does look tasty... wonder if I can get one in Cheltenham... ? :o

totster :D

Usually is Kosher meat. Can usually be found in shops around Jewish communities, in North America that is.

mmm, mmm...good. Now lets think about the famous 24 hr deli on South Fairfax in LA, Cantor's. If one could duplicate the menu in BKK using fake kosher food (ie., non kosher but tasting the same) could maybe be a good money spinner...

would have to import the grumpy, middle aged waitresses to create the necessary ambiance..BKK could provide the necessary druggies (read, wasted falangs) and other lowlifes that used to hang out there...(tutsi included in late 60s early 70s)...

sandwichfrontpage3.jpg

Very cruel!! :o

sandwichfrontpage3.jpg

Very cruel!! :D

There should also be a large order of fries/chips/french fries next to that. :o

• 3 weeks later...
You blokes have been watching the UBC ad with Gary Oldman.

if the Nokia advert with Gary Oldman 'all the world's a stage' represents what a salt beef sanmich should be (note that he emerges from a jewish deli in NYC) then mee some too...have one ob dose and you wouldn't have to eat for the next two days

yummm...we ain't got those on the west coast, only Cantor's on south Fairfax in LA but you couldn't see the food for the cockroaches in that place...

a proper jewish deli on upper Sukhumvit?...whaddyawaitinfor?...youse guys wantin' to start a business in thailand...

hi-so thais to pay 2 x the falang price on the menu...only fair

sandwichfrontpage3.jpg

Very cruel!! :D

There should also be a large order of fries/chips/french fries next to that. :o

and a beer

There are at least two distinct and different versions.

1.) Kosher deli fare, using "corned beef" (beef brisket first pickled in brine then simmered). Best served on rye bread w/ caraway seeds, mustard, pickles, cole slaw or potato salad on the side

2.) Texas sliced beef brisket (beef brisket dry-rubbed, barbequed/smoked {indirect heat} for 12 - 18 hours. Served on a hard/bulky role, with sauce (sweet/hot/etc.), with baked beans/slaw on the side.

Both are excellent but with different tastes.

If you smoke corned beef you get pastrami.

If you smoke corned beef you get pastrami.

Which is what is pictured in this thread. (You can tell from the black coating which is a dry-rub of various spices applied before smoking.) Both corned beef and pastrami should be generally available (they're essentially preserved meats) at deli counters in supermarkets (Foodland), where you can buy by the weight, sliced. At home, microwave or broil to warm the meat and assemble your sandwich.

There is a franchise here, New York Deli, but I have not eaten there. I've read reviews, maybe here, that seemed negative.

• 2 weeks later...

If only...if only...fondly remember Blooms, Whitechapel High Street, 1956-60ish, 1/9d (9 pence!) for 2 slabs of rye holding together layer upon layer of thick, hot and tender salt beef, bit of fat added on demand, streaked with mustard...mmm. Would happily pay double now!

keda

the menu from blooms in golders green , north london.

Hors D'Oeuvres

Chopped Liver £3.90

Gefilte Fish Fried or Boiled £3.90

Egg & Onion £3.50 Cold Beetroot Borscht £2.50

Chopped Liver, Egg & Onion £4.50 Mixed Salad

£3.20

Chopped Herring £3.90

Soups

Mixed Chicken

£4.50 Lockshen

£3.50

Kreplach

£3.90 Haimishe Barley

£3.90

Kneidlach £3.50 Beetroot Borscht & Potato £3.50

Sandwiches

Salt Beef £8.90 Blooms Club £9.90

Roast Beef £8.90 Cold Salt Beef, Smoked Turkey

& Salami with Coleslaw

Turkey £7.20 Chopped Liver £6.90

Entree

(All served with a choice of Potatoes & Vegetables or Salad)

Salt Beef (served hot or cold) £16.90 Worsht & Eggs £8.50

Roast Beef (served hot or cold) £16.90 Viennas/Frankfurters £8.50

Tongue £17.50 Gedempte Meatballs £10.50

Roast Lamb £14.90 Gedempte Chicken £10.50

Roast Turkey £11.50 Turkey Schnitzel £10.50

Roast Chicken Breast £10.50 Chicken Schnitzel £11.50

Roast Chicken Leg £10.50 Chicken Salad

£11.90

Cold Meat Platter

A selection of cold meats served with a choice of salads

£14.90 Chargrilled strips of chicken

and fresh vegetables

served with a choice of salads in a homemade dressing

Grills

(All served with a choice of Potatoes & Vegetables or Salad)

Rib Steak £16.90 Bloomburger & Onions £10.90

Liver & Onions (can be fried on request) £11.50 Jumbo Hot Dog & Onions £9.50

Sausages £8.50

Mixed Grill

£15.90 Chicken Fillet £11.90

Steak, Chicken Fillet, Liver, Lamb, Chops & Sausage Veggie Burger £7.50

Fish

Fried Haddock (served cold) £9.50 Grilled Salmon £9.50

Fried Plaice (served cold) £9.50

Grilled Haddock £9.50 Grilled Plaice £9.50

Side Orders

French Fries £1.90 Cucumber Salad £1.90

Potato Latka £1.90 Continental Salad £1.90

Roast Potatoes £1.90 Potato Salad £1.90

Boiled Potatoes £1.90 Beetroot Salad £1.90

Rice £1.90 Coleslaw

£1.90

Mixed Vegetables £1.90 Pickled Cucumber £0.90

Tzimmas £2.20 (Sweet n' Sour / New Green)

Desserts

Fresh Fruit Salad £3.50 Lockshen Pudding £2.90

Apple Strudel £2.90 Ice Cream / Sorbet £2.90

Beverages

Juices £1.90 Beer, Lager or Shandy £1.90

Soft Drinks £1.50 (per can) / (per bottle)

Mineral Water (Still or Sparkling) £1.50 Israeli Wine - Red or White

Coffee £1.50 12% Alcohol by Volume

Lemon Tea £1.50 175ml Glass £3.50

Hot Cordials £1.50 750ml Bottle £12.90

Prices effective September 2004

All prices are inclusive of VAT

Gratuities are left at your discretion

Edited by taxexile

If only...if only...fondly remember Blooms, Whitechapel High Street, 1956-60ish, 1/9d (9 pence!) for 2 slabs of rye holding together layer upon layer of thick, hot and tender salt beef, bit of fat added on demand, streaked with mustard...mmm. Would happily pay double now!

keda

Paying 18 pence for that delight might be just a tad optimistic :o

I owned a small chain of restaurants in The US that specialized in slow cooked prime rib, corned beef and brisket of beef.

Slow cooking is as much an art as science and requires expensive specialized equipment that is not available in Thailand.

The only corned beef I have seen here (pastrami) has not been brisket of beef.

I have never seen brisket of beef for sale in Thai supermarkets.

I have a couple of questions.

I assume corned beef in the US is the same as Hot salt beef in the UK. Is this correct?

Is it very popular in the UK and or Australia?

Roasted uncured brisket of beef is very popular in parts of America and Germany is it also popular in the UK and Australia? And how about the popularity of prime rib of beef as a sandwich?

In Chicago and the midwest in general.....corned beef on rye, piled high. Never seen the same quality of corned beef here in Thailand and for that matter never seen the same quality of rye bread either! If it exists let me know..............still looking for the little Jewish guy with such a place in Thailand. On every corner in many areas of the US....

New York Deli in Bangkok is worse than Macdonalds, the worst sandwich in BKK and the term Deli does not apply.

And where do you live on Phuket Gerd? Expect a very friendly strange visitor soon!!

Might even swap you for my home made Greek feta cheese parcels in Phyllo pastry if you are keen?

Or some biltong or boerewors (ask any South African if you do not know what these are)? :o

And where do you live on Phuket Gerd? Expect a very friendly strange visitor soon!!

Might even swap you for my home made Greek feta cheese parcels in Phyllo pastry if you are keen?

Sorry Chantal,

sold out for the next couple of weeks :D

Gerd

Ouch! :o

keda

I used to live 3 streets away from this shop and was a fequent visitor, man they are sooo good!