New X-trail almost here?

bkkjames

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should have a diesel option imo

It would be nice to at least have a choice. But considering that the diesel option is usually significantly more expensive plus the new diesel price hikes, I'm not so sure it would be viable. 11 kilometers/liter on e20 isn't too bad, all things considered (it's the 1.5 mil it takes to achieve it that hurts!)

My main issue with this car is price - 1.55 million baht is just too much for what it is.

I agree with others, good review cbuddha :)

The only thing I have the mention though is the line I've quoted - if you compare it to the X-Trail's segment, it's actually priced competitively:

Honda CR-V EL: 1.58M

Craptiva LTZ: 1.58M

Mazda CX-5 2.5S: 1.44M (XDL: 1.67M)

Gone are the days when the top spec CR-V was 1.3M or even further back, 1.1M Baht ;)

Maybe it's more a case of this isn't the right segment for you? Even then, if you were to put it up against the 2.5G Camry (1.509M) or Nissan's own 2.5XV Teana (1.57M) It still looks pretty good (and even better from some POV's).

My main issue with this car is price - 1.55 million baht is just too much for what it is.

I agree with others, good review cbuddha smile.png

The only thing I have the mention though is the line I've quoted - if you compare it to the X-Trail's segment, it's actually priced competitively:

Gone are the days when the top spec CR-V was 1.3M or even further back, 1.1M Baht wink.png

Maybe it's more a case of this isn't the right segment for you? Even then, if you were to put it up against the 2.5G Camry (1.509M) or Nissan's own 2.5XV Teana (1.57M) It still looks pretty good (and even better from some POV's).

Absolutely true. I can't afford the segment, but the cars there are what I want for my family.

• 4 weeks later...

Just came back from the test drive.

Short verdict: No.

This is my favorite SUV on the market right now. The looks are acceptable, the options are top level for the Thai market, and most importantly, it handles well for an SUV. I might even get used to the CVT. The acceleration is a bit pokey and strained (see CVT), but OK. The odometer had 800km on it, the trip computer read 11km/liter and the salesman it had been 12km/l until some guy drove it 180kph during a test drive yesterday (but at least he bought one hehheh). He said it was currently running on E20.

My main issue with this car is price - 1.55 million baht is just too much for what it is. If I'm going to spend that much, I want a car I really love... At the end of the day, I just like it (a lot). If it were priced about 200,000 cheaper, I probably would have bought one (in silver or black) today.

BTW I've seen it now in two colors. The test car is white, and I hate Nissan's pearl white - it seems to yellow very quickly here. They also had a new very dark metallic green one in the showroom. I would guess this color is for people who secretly like black but want to seem more daring than the typical buyer of a 1.55 million baht family car.

Interesting post buddha but I don't really agree with it. I've been in the market for a new SUV for a couple years now. During this time, I have been hanging on to my 1999 Honda CRV, which stills runs great and is in good condition, just waiting for the right new replacement model to come around. Believe me, during this time, I've scouted all the available car and truck based SUVs available in Thailand from the 3M baht price range (BMW X3) on down. I have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of the new model X-Trail for about 9 months now and it is finally. During that time, I've done lots of internet research on the X-Trail, as it has been out in the American and European markets for about a year now and the Australian market as well. It has been generally well received and I haven't really seen a negative review. The trim levels offered on the completely revamped X-Trail are allot higher than the previous model and there are even some unique and premium features not found on many other manufacturers' cars/SUVs at any price in the Thai market (like the all around camera view). The main complaint reviews have is the somewhat underpowered 2.5 litre engine (and somewhat dated design) and its 171 hp output. There are also complaints about the CVT transmission. However, this being Thailand, we're all used to paying premium prices for under-powered vehicles and CVT transmissions are here to stay so we'll just have to get used to them.

I'm curious about your point about the X-Trail being too much baht for too little SUV. Well that's the nub of buying cars in Thailand...I like the X3 maybe better than the X-Trail but it is too little SUV for over twice the price of the X-Trail. That's the rotten deal we all face when buying in Thailand and it sucks but it's not going to change so one just has to suck it up and try to pay the least for the most car. I agree with you that it is the best SUV for the money on the Thai market at this time when one factors in both styling, features, and price. As you say you wouldn't pay 1.5M for the top spec model X-Trail, what other available SUV would you buy in Thailand then...or would you buy none at all? Sure the top spec model costs 40% more than it would in the USA but that's still better than the 100% price differential on the BMW. And for one's 1.5M you get allot of SUV for Thailand and that's the reason that I'll probably spring for the top model in white with black interior in the next couple weeks.

The new X-Trail has a host of useful and innovative features, some of which are new to the Thai market. In it's top spec trim, it's certainly the most fully kitted-out SUV available now for under the X3's price (and even has stuff the 3 doesn't have...like the panoramic sunroof (I know, not very practicable in Thailand buy hey, it's there and when driving some scenic roads in the mountains I might even open it)). In terms exterior styling, from some angles (direct front and back) it looks very good, with the front view being pretty aggressive in a good way IMO). From the sides I'm not so sure...it's not ugly or anything like the Juke or the CRV but the rather bulbous front wheel arches on the front look rather portly to me. Overall, I can certainly live with the design. On the inside, it's quite nice and very spacious. There is an abundance of quality soft plastics used in and around the interior surfaces, the leather seats are very comfortable and both the driver AND passenger seats are electronically adjustable. The gauge layout is logical and clear as are the steering wheel controls. Nissan has not gone overboard with multi-LCD screen control panels and confusing dash layouts like on the current CRV. I would say in a word, the new X-Trail interior shows both class and quality. Some of the unique features include the aforementioned all-around surround camera views for driving and parking, the panoramic moon-roof, and the automatic liftgate. The top spec model also includes the 3rd-row kids seats.

The one thing I wish they would have included is more airbags, as the X-Trail is still offered only with four. The Aus model, also made in Thailand, if offered with 6. I'm sure if I wait till a year or so for a refresh, the X-Trail will come standard with 6 in Thailand as well, but I've already been waiting for a couple years so I don't think I can wait any longer. NAV and 6-speaker audio system is included, along with bluetooth connectivity. A whole host of other vehicle and driver safety technology is also standard. All in all, I think this is the SUV many Thai buyers have been waiting for and I expect to see many of them on the road in the years to come.

I'm curious about your point about the X-Trail being too much baht for too little SUV. Well that's the nub of buying cars in Thailand...I like the X3 maybe better than the X-Trail but it is too little SUV for over twice the price of the X-Trail. That's the rotten deal we all face when buying in Thailand and it sucks but it's not going to change so one just has to suck it up and try to pay the least for the most car. I agree with you that it is the best SUV for the money on the Thai market at this time when one factors in both styling, features, and price. As you say you wouldn't pay 1.5M for the top spec model X-Trail, what other available SUV would you buy in Thailand then...or would you buy none at all? Sure the top spec model costs 40% more than it would in the USA but that's still better than the 100% price differential on the BMW. And for one's 1.5M you get allot of SUV for Thailand and that's the reason that I'll probably spring for the top model in white with black interior in the next couple weeks.

I don't think our viewpoints are very different at all; I don't really disagree with anything you wrote.

When I wrote this, I had simply become disenchanted with the car because it cost so much... I really did love it and toyed with the idea of buying it for a day or two, but couldn't justify it in the end - the payments would have been the same as our mortgage and it just seemed insane when put in that perspective. Also, I couldn't help but compare the specs and price with that of the US/Japan models even though I try not to do that.

If the top model was diesel with all the airbags, who knows, I might have pulled the trigger... But it would not have been a smart purchase for us because we couldn't really afford it.

As it is, I've decided to go another route: A used eco car for daily driving around town (just purchased a 2014 Mazda 2 sedan with 10,000km for 330,000 baht for this purpose), and something else for road trips/hauling stuff (looking at a 2012 Navara King Cab with 25,000km for 400,000 baht). The purchasing method of buy new Toyota --> drive for 2/3 years --> trade in for new model seems to be no longer sustainable. I am going to buy cheap used cars (right now there is a glut of cars from the first car scheme that are REALLY CHEAP - hence my eco car purchase) and drive them until they are no longer coverable with first class insurance. The used car market is really changing here, and I intend to exploit this because I'VE BEEN PRICED OUT OF THE NEW SUV MARKET.

I don't think our viewpoints are very different at all; I don't really disagree with anything you wrote.

When I wrote this, I had simply become disenchanted with the car because it cost so much... I really did love it and toyed with the idea of buying it for a day or two, but couldn't justify it in the end - the payments would have been the same as our mortgage and it just seemed insane when put in that perspective. Also, I couldn't help but compare the specs and price with that of the US/Japan models even though I try not to do that.

If the top model was diesel with all the airbags, who knows, I might have pulled the trigger... But it would not have been a smart purchase for us because we couldn't really afford it.

As it is, I've decided to go another route: A used eco car for daily driving around town (just purchased a 2014 Mazda 2 sedan with 10,000km for 330,000 baht for this purpose), and something else for road trips/hauling stuff (looking at a 2012 Navara King Cab with 25,000km for 400,000 baht). The purchasing method of buy new Toyota --> drive for 2/3 years --> trade in for new model seems to be no longer sustainable. I am going to buy cheap used cars (right now there is a glut of cars from the first car scheme that are REALLY CHEAP - hence my eco car purchase) and drive them until they are no longer coverable with first class insurance. The used car market is really changing here, and I intend to exploit this because I'VE BEEN PRICED OUT OF THE NEW SUV MARKET.

All very valid points as well. US$ 45k is allot to pay for an SUV with a 2.5L 4 cylinder engine...but not in Thailand unfortunately. But at least it is, as I think we agree, well spec'ed out for the money by Thai market standards. Of course, I'm sure you've also checked out the new Nissan Navara pickup...very SUV like interior...almost as plush as the XT and the top model can be had for around B 1M. with very good specs safety and tech specs for a truck...did you ever consider it? However, maybe it is with you like it is with me that you just don't want to tool around in a pickup. Also agree that due to the gov's stupid First Time Buyer Plan the used car market in Thailand is in complete disarray...but if you can use this fact for your benefit good for you.

If you're looking for a 13 year old CRV with low mileage and in good condition for around 300k, PM me :)

I'VE BEEN PRICED OUT OF THE NEW SUV MARKET.

I guess it depends on the bar you're setting too - it's still possible to buy a 2.5L diesel, Automatic, 7-seat Pajero Sport for under 1M Baht (after negotiations). It doesn't have leather + electric chairs, or automatic climate control/headlights/wipers, or rear seat airbags, or a sunroof, but for the price of a top-spec pickup or B-segment, it stands out as great value.

The other paper that I cannot quote here has a pretty good review yesterday in the motoring section.

Yeah, I read it. "Pretty good" is accurate, but again suffers from styling and fuel economy & power issues, as well as trying to jam that 3rd seat in that only seats midgets. Then again, we haven't yet had any mainstream SUV hit the market that hits on all cylinders yet. I suspect this is a function of the tax structure in Thailand, just makes it prohibitive for anything but truck-based SUVs mostly. Unfortunately, this X-trail is currently best in class probably in Thailand.

Edited by keemapoot

The other paper that I cannot quote here has a pretty good review yesterday in the motoring section.

Yeah, I read it. "Pretty good" is accurate, but again suffers from styling and fuel economy & power issues, as well as trying to jam that 3rd seat in that only seats midgets. Then again, we haven't yet had any mainstream SUV hit the market that hits on all cylinders yet. I suspect this is a function of the tax structure in Thailand, just makes it prohibitive for anything but truck-based SUVs mostly. Unfortunately, this X-trail is currently best in class probably in Thailand.

well I hear ya, we have to go with what we can get. Unlike the reviews in that paper that oft focus on every vehicle under the sun that are not available here...such a tease lol

well I hear ya, we have to go with what we can get. Unlike the reviews in that paper that oft focus on every vehicle under the sun that are not available here...such a tease lol

The reviews in that paper are ridiculous. I mean, 90% of the time they're reviewing the newest Aston Vantage or some other 10 million Baht dream car. Who the hell reads this paper, The top 1/2 percent? laugh.png

Gone are the days when the top spec CR-V was 1.3M or even further back, 1.1M Baht wink.png

what about the one that is missing ?

1.35M you get a brand new 4X4 = Subaru XV..

for that matter what about the bigger Kia Sorento ? 2.2 diesel turbo, looks good, very good reviews and cost 1.6 M....... test report reviews its well ahead of the CRV........ maybe the downside here is dealer network

The biggest problem with Chevy here is the depreciation, a top LTZ diesel Captiva cost 1.7 M, a 2013 model sells for around 850,000 baht, lost 1/2 its value in a year !! the petrol top model 2013 appear to be 7 - 750,000 baht again a huge loss.. The CRV latest model looks a lot better, but why for Thailand they did not update the running gear ? as they did in other Countries..

The all new in 2015 Suzuki Vitara ?

post-42643-0-11303400-1419900234_thumb.j

Edited by ignis

for that matter what about the bigger Kia Sorento ? 2.2 diesel turbo, looks good, very good reviews and cost 1.6 M....... test report reviews its well ahead of the CRV........ maybe the downside here is dealer network

The biggest problem with Chevy here is the depreciation, a top LTZ diesel Captiva cost 1.7 M, a 2013 model sells for around 850,000 baht, lost 1/2 its value in a year !! the petrol top model 2013 appear to be 7 - 750,000 baht again a huge loss.. The CRV latest model looks a lot better, but why for Thailand they did not update the running gear ? as they did in other Countries..

My BIL has an XV - I wouldn't put it in the same class though - it's just a jacked-up station wagon with wheel arch flares. Not a bad car, just not the same thing, IMHO...

The all new in 2015 Suzuki Vitara ?

attachicon.gif2015 Suzuki-Vitara.jpg

Not sold in USA for some reason.Rather Strange

• 5 months later...

Hi there,

I have been researching this new Nissan X-Trail and wondered if anyone on here has bought one here in Thailand? I was looking at the 2.0 4wd model. I have never had a Nissan before and aside from being interested in what this car is like to own I would be very interested to hear from anyone about their experiences with Nissan dealers over here. I used to own a Ford Ranger and the service was terrible so I'm trying to get a feel for what Nissan are like before a potential purchase.

Thanks.

My experiences with Nissan Phuket ate such I will never consider another Nissan while living here.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds similar to my experience with Ford, also in Phuket. I also spoke to a friend yesterday and they had a neighbour who suffered a bad time with Nissan in Phuket so I thought I would see what the consensus was like on here. Have to say I'm starting to have second thoughts!

• 4 months later...

The X Trail's equipment levels are not well thought out .. Def going to put off a lot of buyers, as its hard to find the right balance. The 2nd from bottom version is quite good value, gets some nice kit and cream leather.. but strangely no phone connectivity and just two airbags? This is a largish car aimed at families who want to buy a safe suv...

The top spec with 2.5l and pan roof is quite a lot more; there are some extras that some won't need, apart from its the only one with 4 airbags. But that's two less than many competitors and oddly the interior is only available in drab looking black, not the much nicer pale cream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In some cases Yes, but many enjoy the cheap E85 these days . Small Eco Cars,they never had the choise a few years ago.. I take a grave risk here saying anything other than God Bless the Truck.The new Mazda will sell if they keep the price at Eco Benzine prices. E85 is cheaper than oil now, interesting to see what happens.Honda dont seem interested, perhaps its the Anti Diesel fad going on in EEC Cities .coffee1.gif

Since Ace got me interested in E85, I started doing some research on the Internet. My Ford Focus was designed for E20 so I looked for articles about using E85 in it. Yes, it can be done fairly easily without many problems. Further reading gave me the figures that E85 had to be a minimum of 22 percent cheaper than E20 to make up for the decrease in KPL. Here in Thailand the difference in price is about 15 percent. I decided that E20 was OK for me.

I couldn't find figures directly comparing E20 and E85 differences in actual economy. Has anyone done a direct comparison on differences between the two?

As for me, I'll never buy another benzine burning vehicle. As far as I can figure, my car costs me about 2.4 baht per kilometer for E20 fuel and my diesel Isuzu about 1.65 baht. The smaller car diesels would be much cheaper on fuel than a truck. Much less than one baht per kilometer. A friend told me that his diesel Focus was getting about 40 kilometers per liter. True or not, I don't know. He may have been trying to make me feel bad about my expensive to run E20 Focus.

According to the rumor mill this morning, the X-Trail Hybrid releases in Thailand next month...

Hybrids in Thailand are usually marked as "premium" vehicles...the Camry and Accord hybrids are the most expensive in the line, as is the BMW 5 series hybrid I believe. I wonder if this will hold true for the X-Trail and if so, if they'll up the spec a bit with more airbags, adaptive cruise control, remote engine start, etc.