Question about child with dual passports traveling outside Thailand for the first time?

Please only people who have had the experience reply do not want conjectures...thank you.

Ok Thai/German child traveling outside of Thailand for the first time using a clean German passport. What papers would be required when she checks in at the airline counter?

Thank you

Would like to see responses from people who have actually used their second passport in lieu of a visa.

You only have to look back a few weeks to find out this question has been raised and answered many times by people who have experience...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/752514-my-daughter-has-a-uk-and-thai-passport/

Edited by Basil B

Half British / Half Thai Infant Child holding both a British and a Thai Passport.

We've travelled back to the UK a couple of times - Our child departs and re-enters Thailand on his Thai Passport, every where else he enters and departs on his British Passport.

We also carry a colour photo copy of his Thai Birth Certificate and a certified English Translation of his Birth Certificate.

Edited by richard_smith237

Thank you.

Here is what I think everyone is saying:When leaving Thailand:

At the airline desk she shows the passport of the destination country (Germany) At immigration exit she shows the passport that allows her to be in the country she is departing(Thailand).

When returning reverse the process.

To paraphrase what I said in the topic linked to by Basil B:

The airline will need to know that she has permission to enter her destination.

Immigration when leaving will want to know whether or not she has been in the country legally; e.g. not overstayed.

Immigration on arrival will want to know whether or not she has permission to enter the country.

So:-

Thailand to Germany;
•At check in show the airline her German passport.
•Show Thai immigration her Thai passport.
•On arrival show German immigration her German passport.

Germany to Thailand;
•At check in show the airline her Thai passport.
•Show German immigration her German passport
•On arrival show Thai immigration her Thai passport.

In the unlikely event of anyone asking why the passport shown does not contain any visas or entry/exit stamps for the other country, explain she is a dual national and show the other passport.

I am led to believe, by an ex boyfriend of my daughter's who has a German mother and a Sri Lankan father and both passports, that whilst German nationality law can make it difficult for dual nationals who are naturalised as German, someone who has dual German and another nationality through birth should have no problems.

• Like 2

Thank you.

At the airline desk she shows the passport of the destination country (Germany) At immigration exit she shows the passport that allows her to be in the country she is departing(Thailand).

Yeah, me.

In Bangkok:

- show airline check in both passports. German to show no visa needed for EU destination. Airline will need to know this before they issue the boarding pass. Thai passport to show the child will need a departure form.

immigration- fill in Thai departure card, using details of Thai passport. Show officer Thai passport, departure card and boarding pass. Get stamped out. Immigration officer will staple arrival card into the Thai passport to use on the return trip.

Destination: enter on German passport

Returning:

Same as above, show airline check in both passports. Exit formalities as per they are done in eu country.

Arrive in Thailand. Fill in arrival card which has been stapled in Thai passport. Show Thai passport to immigration officer, get stamped in with no limit on stay.

If you use the German passport to leave Thailand you will need to show the birth certificate to explain why the child has no visa. At that stage you can be asked for proof of permission from the mother to take the child out of the country, if she is not traveling with you.

Without a Thai passport if the child returns to Thailand the child will need a visa and extensions of stay.

To paraphrase what I said in the topic linked to by Basil B:

The airline will need to know that she has permission to enter her destination.

Immigration when leaving will want to know whether or not she has been in the country legally; e.g. not overstayed.

Immigration on arrival will want to know whether or not she has permission to enter the country.

So:-

Thailand to Germany;

•At check in show the airline her German passport.

•Show Thai immigration her Thai passport.

•On arrival show German immigration her German passport.

Germany to Thailand;

•At check in show the airline her Thai passport.

•Show German immigration her German passport

•On arrival show Thai immigration her Thai passport.

In the unlikely event of anyone asking why the passport shown does not contain any visas or entry/exit stamps for the other country, explain she is a dual national and show the other passport.

Good reply and reflects my experience with my Thai/UK kids.

At check-ins show the german passport (or both passports) - they just want to see that the person has visa or passport to travel to the destination. In transit (Dubai or somewhere) show the german passport (or both passports).

My kids have done what Donutz said many times, most countries (Australia is one) insist dual-citizens enter on their Australian passport.

For example a Dual Thai/Australian passport holder can't get an Australian visa if the visa issuing office knows they hold an Australian passport, I know this from experience (oops, dad forgot to get a new passport for daughter)

No idea if Germany does the same

What are you worried about? If the child lives in Thailand depart on the Thai passport (and if it lives in Germany, depart from Germany on the German passport). Enter the destination country on whichever passport gives the most easy access. For most countries this would be the German (western) passport, but for some destinations the Thai passport (Turkey for instance). Depart the destination country on the same passport that was used to enter. Enter Thailand again on the Thai passport.

So a dual Thai-other national:

- Enters and departs Thailand on their Thai passport.

- Enters and leaves the country of their second/first nationality on the passport of this nationality

- Enters and leaves any other country on the passport best suited.

- Shows the second passport to airlinestaff, border control, immigration etc. if they need to see it (to confirm one has visa free access for instance because of the second nationality).

Which leaves very few questions, what would yours be? smile.png

as above, my daughter holds us/thai passports

never any trouble for 20 years doing this.

at check in u show both passports

Would like to see responses from people who have actually used their second passport in lieu of a visa.

My son does. The simple rule is: Thai Immigration = show Thai passport (in and out) , Farang Immigration = Farang passport (in and out). That said, on several occasions when my son was still little he showed both his passports at Thai Immigration and non of the officers ever batted an eyelid, on the contrary, they were quite helpful and told him which one to use.

My wife and I have two daughters with dual nationality - Thai (my wife is Thai) and German. Both were born in Germany but we have been living in Thailand for over 10 years now. Our daughters have travelled to Germany and other countries many times, always leaving Thailand and returning to Thailand on their Thai passports and travelling to most other countries - entering and leaving - on their German Passports. Some airlines asked to see both Passports when leaving Thailand, or returning thereto.

Nothing illegal, very simple.

It was complicated before ,but now ,I show the 2 passport French and thai to both airline and immigration ,they know what to do, there are so many ,they don't care any more

they don't want their day more complicated than it is already they just want to go on sleep-work until the end of their shift

Edited by jerome2

Thank you.

Yeah, me.

In Bangkok:

- show airline check in both passports. German to show no visa needed for EU destination. Airline will need to know this before they issue the boarding pass. Thai passport to show the child will need a departure form.

immigration- fill in Thai departure card, using details of Thai passport. Show officer Thai passport, departure card and boarding pass. Get stamped out. Immigration officer will staple arrival card into the Thai passport to use on the return trip.

Destination: enter on German passport

Returning:

Same as above, show airline check in both passports. Exit formalities as per they are done in eu country.

Arrive in Thailand. Fill in arrival card which has been stapled in Thai passport. Show Thai passport to immigration officer, get stamped in with no limit on stay.

this is exactly how we travel with our 2 children and my wife.

I fill in the departure cards (x4) at home ,because it saves me a lot of hassle on check-in.

I always show the 2 passports.

My babies are Italian-Indonesian, 2 passports.

First time out of Thailand, to EU, Custom called us in their office at Airport, checked Wedding certificate and Birth Certificate (copy is ok), then processed paper forms , filled in the Departure form we travelled to EU with Italian passports.

In Italy we got Visa for bring babies back, no need for you as you have Thai passports

Second time as Departure form was already available,just standard Custom check, we travelled to Indonesia with babies Italian Passports while entered Indonesia with Indonesian Passport (so to avoid 35 USD visa)

What are you worried about? If the child lives in Thailand depart on the Thai passport (and if it lives in Germany, depart from Germany on the German passport). Enter the destination country on whichever passport gives the most easy access. For most countries this would be the German (western) passport, but for some destinations the Thai passport (Turkey for instance). Depart the destination country on the same passport that was used to enter. Enter Thailand again on the Thai passport.

- Enters and leaves the country of their second/first nationality on the passport of this nationality

- Shows the second passport to airlinestaff, border control, immigration etc. if they need to see it (to confirm one has visa free access for instance because of the second nationality).

Just do as said above. I have done it, but it is advisable if you are travelling with an under age child on your own, to have a letter from your wife saying she agrees for you to take the child out of Thailand.

I have three children all with dual nationality and two passports. What Donutz says above is exactly correct on how to use the two passports. My children are now in their late twenties/early thirties and have been travelling like this for many years. Just use the most appropriate passport for the country you are entering

You don't say whether on her own or accompanied.

With a Thal/British child and our first trip without her, I took a letter with me, from my son's mother. They didn't need it. I put both of his passports on the counter, but the officer only wanted the Thai one. One minute and through.

Return journey the same.

Subsequent trips back the the UK have been as easy.

And, of course, you go through the Thai channel, as well.

I fill in the departure cards (x4) at home ,because it saves me a lot of hassle on check-in.

Where do you pick up the departure forms before you go to the airport?

You can ask them on board any flight ,or just walk into the airport and ask them at a check in gate.

Or download it?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DO_zouJDxAo/T47pmFM5_KI/AAAAAAAAEM0/bme2axtnayM/s1600/Thai%2BImmigration%2BArrival%2BDeparture%2BCard.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Last year my Thai wife and I took our then 4 month old son from Phuket to Sydney for a 4 month holiday. My wife and son had separate Visitor Visas. We had planned to (and did) get his citizenship and Aussie passport in Sydney.

When we checked in, I showed the visa grant notices to the airline. No problem for my wife, but they seemed a bit stumped with our son's visa for some unknown reason. The boss came out and 3 staff were looking at the paper. They kept asking if he had an Aussie passport. I said he is not Australian, he has a visa to visit. If he was Australian, he could not get a visa.

After waiting ages, we were finally allowed to check in. Never figured out why they took issue with our son.

Anyway, he arrived in Sydney on his Thai passport and departed on his Aussie one. No one at immigration said anything.

Booking flights now, I know we will leave/ re-enter Thailand on my son's Thai passport, and enter/ leave the UK on his UK one.

Is it OK to put the Thai passport and number on the flight booking?

His UK one is ready for collection but I'm not going up to Bangkok to get it for a couple of weeks so don't know the UK passport number yet.

Thanks!

There may be some benefit in changing the passport entry to the British one once you get the passport. As I understand it, Britain prefers to see passenger lists before check-in, and you may be storing up hassle by recording your son as a Thai without a visa rather than as a Briton. It looks as though Thailand will wait until check-in, as the Australians do. Britain is taking time to get its act together, so we don't know how the system will work. The nightmare is that the Britain simply orders 'do not board' when it sees a visa national without a visa.

I see merit in simply not entering passport details yet if you can avoid doing so.

After waiting ages, we were finally allowed to check in. Never figured out why they took issue with our son.

Anyway, he arrived in Sydney on his Thai passport and departed on his Aussie one. No one at immigration said anything.

I've read that Australians are supposed to enter and leave Australia using their Australian passports. However, I've also read that Australian citizens are automatically refused visas for Australia, so there may be some misinformation floating about.