Question about child with dual passports traveling outside Thailand for the first time?

As I understand it, Britain prefers to see passenger lists before check-in, and you may be storing up hassle by recording your son as a Thai without a visa rather than as a Briton.

Actually, if the Thai passport was obtained before the British passport was applied for, you will have included a colour photocopy of the Thai passport with the British passport application, and therefore the system should be able to detect your son as a Thai who is also a Briton, so you should have no reason to worry.

The reality is that nobody really cares if you show both passports at all stages. The advice given above works and the most we have seen is a slightly dirty look at Thai Immigration as they took the Thai passports to stamp. There are so many dual nationality people travelling that they are all perfectly used to the set up.

Not quite clear what you are saying about Australian visas but no Australian citizen needs or is entitled to a visa to enter Australia. You are not half a citizen because you have two passports!

• Like 1

After waiting ages, we were finally allowed to check in. Never figured out why they took issue with our son.

Anyway, he arrived in Sydney on his Thai passport and departed on his Aussie one. No one at immigration said anything.

I've read that Australians are supposed to enter and leave Australia using their Australian passports. However, I've also read that Australian citizens are automatically refused visas for Australia, so there may be some misinformation floating about.

Australia will refuse to issue visas to Australian citizens travelling on a foreign passport as doing so will place conditions of stay for that persons, and you cant so that for someone who has the unfettered right to enter.

Only in limited circumstances when it is impossible to get a replacement Australian passport will an endorsement be placed in the foreign passport of an Australian citizen to enter Australia. But it is rare.

Not quite clear what you are saying about Australian visas but no Australian citizen needs or is entitled to a visa to enter Australia. You are not half a citizen because you have two passports!

Maybe not half a citizen, but Australian dual nationals cannot lawfully be federal MPs. (Tony Abbott's been accused of hiding his British nationality.) A similar law is in place in Pakistan, and I know dual national Bangladeshis have reduced civil rights. Laws are in place or in preparation for British, Canadian and Australian dual national terrorists to be deprived of citizenship - Britain's laws give the widest vulnerability to deprivation, while it seems Canada will actually require a conviction. Holding a foreign passport (as opposed to having a foreign citizenship) generally reduces an American citizen's security clearance - the Mooney memorandum.

After waiting ages, we were finally allowed to check in. Never figured out why they took issue with our son.

Anyway, he arrived in Sydney on his Thai passport and departed on his Aussie one. No one at immigration said anything.

I've read that Australians are supposed to enter and leave Australia using their Australian passports. However, I've also read that Australian citizens are automatically refused visas for Australia, so there may be some misinformation floating about.

Yes, but he wasn't Australian when he applied for and was granted his Aussie visa, and entered Australia...only when he departed.

Australia will refuse to issue visas to Australian citizens travelling on a foreign passport as doing so will place conditions of stay for that persons, and you cant so that for someone who has the unfettered right to enter.

Only in limited circumstances when it is impossible to get a replacement Australian passport will an endorsement be placed in the foreign passport of an Australian citizen to enter Australia. But it is rare.

See post #35

Yes, but he wasn't Australian when he applied for and was granted his Aussie visa, and entered Australia...only when he departed.

Sorry, I hadn't realised ordinary people couldn't be born Australian outside Australia.

If someone has a right to citizenship of a country by way of descent, they are not a citizen of that country until citizenship is conferred upon them.

See post #35

Understood, was just speaking to the broader point.

Sounds like you did the citizenship via descent application down in OZ then.

If someone has a right to citizenship of a country by way of descent, they are not a citizen of that country until citizenship is conferred upon them.

Many countries' citizenship descends automatically in the first generation overseas - that is the case for the UK, Ireland, Thailand, Pakistan and the Netherlands. People are regularly cautioned that they may have inherited nationalities that they and their families have done nothing to preserve. It can be unclear whether someone holds a nationality or merely a right to it, which may be a problem when other rights depend on not holding the nationality.

Many countries' citizenship descends automatically in the first generation overseas - that is the case for the UK, Ireland, Thailand, Pakistan and the Netherlands. People are regularly cautioned that they may have inherited nationalities that they and their families have done nothing to preserve. It can be unclear whether someone holds a nationality or merely a right to it, which may be a problem when other rights depend on not holding the nationality.

Oh, I didn't realise that. Thanks for the info.