Interesting furniture shops

littlekindling

Hi. I just moved to Pattaya with my partner and we are trying to furnish a very empty house. Can anyone advise on good local furniture shops where we can get interesting Asian style pieces for good prices? Specifically living room furniture, and would like some really big rugs in nice warm colours to fill up the space. Want to avoid driving to Ikea and also try and get stuff that isn't mass produced if possible. Saw an interesting looking Chinese antiques place in town and hoping to check that out. Would appreciate any pointers.

Thanks

;-)

littlekinlding

Take a look at Lukdod shop - lots of tourist souvenirs but also some interesting Thai style furniture. (Soi Paniadchang?? about 300m from Pattaya Nua)

Soi Paniadchang is the lane that runs from Big C Extra all the way to Pattaya Nua.

The new Index Mall has some nice things - more like Ikea. (Sukhumvit road, west side, just north of Pattaya Klang).

Chic Republic has more modern but good quality furniture and decorative items. (Sukhumvit road, east side, just south of Pattaya Tai)

Decco has a smaller range but some nice things there. (Sukhumvit road, east side, about 2km south of Pattaya Tai)

Edited by chickenslegs

IMHO... hop a plane and head to Hang Dong, Chiang Mai (or drive). Get it from the source. Have it trucked back to Pattaya. Streets and streets full of really cool furniture there, all hand made locally. They also make custom pieces.

• Like 2

Decorum on Thepprasit, south side, about 1/2 between Thappraya and Suk, has some very interesting pieces. Not cheap, but very unique. On the same road, head towards Suk, about 200M before Suk, North side, are a few stores selling Thai style wooden furniture.

We've gotten quite a few items from Chok Chai, Suk East side, between the flyover and Soi Siam Country Club. Somewhat near where the old Index was.

I believe Ikea will deliver and has an online catalog. My friend bought a rather large beige carpet for a pretty good price. Seems to be of decent quality. For carpets here, it's real hit and miss. Try HomePro/Works. Sometimes they have some interesting pieces.

There's a huge furniture area in Bangkok with prices about the same as you'd pay up north. They'll custom make and deliver also. And if you are in Bangkok, try some of the malls. The stores in there have some very interesting pieces, but not cheap.

It may be worth your while to take a pick up truck and go to Chutachuk Markets (on a weekday to avoid the crowds) . Some very nice fake antique Asian furniture is sold there.There are also other similar stores around the Chutucuk neighbourhood..

• Like 1

It may be worth your while to take a pick up truck and go to Chutachuk Markets (on a weekday to avoid the crowds) . Some very nice fake antique Asian furniture is sold there.There are also other similar stores around the Chutucuk neighbourhood..

I think that's the area I was referring to. Lots of furniture shops all in a relatively small area. They'll also deliver for a relatively small fee. Prices are much cheaper than here in Pattaya.

Many of the suggestions so far is western style furniture (Ikea-modern Scandinavian, Index-like Ikea, Chic Republic-Macys California, European, Decorum, Decco, Koncept, etc.) For something more Asian I suggest My Thai solid wood teak on Thepprasit or the large modern two story store opposite the Powerbuy on Pattaya Klang (near Sukhumvit). The shop outside of Homeworks on Sukumwit has some interesting stuff including Persian rugs.

There is a "nice guy" who sells furniture in the interior car park at Big C Pattaya Klang

I recently bought two bed-side cabinets from him.....listed at 5000 each (hint hint)......the style and quality is superb....proper dove tail joints ....nice French polishing....

and

at the same price as the "iffy-stuff" being offered in the Flower market........well worth a look

It has been my experience that good quality furniture in Thailand is quite expensive. I made due with inexpensive stuff for 10 years, but this year finally decided to buy quality stuff that lasts. You're in luck, as I still happen to have the receipts handy. I have listed the stores I actually purchased stuff at in order of how strongly I would recommendation. All of these stores are based in Bangkok, but a few might have outlets in Pattaya.

1. suclassic.com telephone 086-3302906-7 (solid teak living room and bedroom furniture; top quality will last forever)

2. perfect-furniture.com 02-895-6301-7 (veneer wood office desks, workstations, cubicles, quality office chairs)

3. la-z-boy-thailand.com 662-376-0118 (recliners, recliner sofas)

4. oggi-living.com 668-7700-5401 (solid oak wood furniture; desks, tables, chairs mainly)

Good luck!

Depends on what you mean by "interesting."

For antiques and reproduction pieces from Asia, Kalae on the NW corner of Pattaya Nua and Sukhumvit. It's a Thai style house with two floors of furniture and accessories. They are clearly marked as to whether genuinely old or reproductions. Prices are definitely negotiable and they will deliver things that are too large for your car. I've bought a few pieces from them. They also have a shop in Bangkok. You can walk around and look at things on both floors without someone dogging your steps.

Not for essentials like beds and dining tables, but some nice things for accent pieces.

http://www.kalaepattaya.com/index.htm Click on the "catalogue" button on the left side of the page for some idea of the sort of things they have.

Also AntiqueTica has showrooms in and near River City in Bangkok but has some things on line. Prices are also negotiable and they will deliver to Pattaya. I've bought a number of things, both furniture and other items, from them. Very reliable and they even bought back a couple of things when I realized my place was getting a little too crowded. The item shown below is an example, but you can visit their website and search for other things or visit them in Bangkok.They don't sell reproductions as far as I know. Not exactly in the same category as Index or Ikea, but again you might like a few pieces so you get some feeling for living in Asia.

http://www.antiquetica.com/

post-145917-0-83835600-1409222042_thumb.

post-145917-0-13527700-1409222060_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69

• 1 month later...

I ordered a bunch of custom furniture from Maithai on Thepprasit Rd, most of them speak english and the delivery and service was excellent, They were supposed to drill holes in my entertainment center and somehow with everything going on it was forgotten, I called them the next day and they sent over a worker to take care of it in less then an hour. they have a website at www.maithaipattaya.com.

I can't help with any suggestions for rugs etc. but for wooden furniture why not get creative? Under the 7/Suk flyover there is a huge second-hand/junk furniture place. Some of his stuff is ready to go and just needs a bit of sanding/staining/polishing, but take a look around and if you keep an open mind you could end up with something really unique. Some of these intricately carved doors that you can find there (and elsewhere) when laid flat, covered with glass and mounted on legs make for a great dining table. Recently I bought 4 wooden wardrobe doors from there, sanded and stained them, added some hinges and made a really nice screen..

OK, it's not as easy as ordering from the Ikea catalogue, but you're almost certain not to see the identical item in a friend's home.

• Like 1

I can't help with any suggestions for rugs etc. but for wooden furniture why not get creative? Under the 7/Suk flyover there is a huge second-hand/junk furniture place. Some of his stuff is ready to go and just needs a bit of sanding/staining/polishing, but take a look around and if you keep an open mind you could end up with something really unique. Some of these intricately carved doors that you can find there (and elsewhere) when laid flat, covered with glass and mounted on legs make for a great dining table. Recently I bought 4 wooden wardrobe doors from there, sanded and stained them, added some hinges and made a really nice screen..

OK, it's not as easy as ordering from the Ikea catalogue, but you're almost certain not to see the identical item in a friend's home.

I went and had a look round what I thought was the 7/suk flyover but could not find this place. Could you give some directions or landmarks? I may have been in completely the wrong area as went to where the 7 meets Sukhumvit getting into town. Would appreciate some clarity, really keen to check this place out! Thanks.

OK, so if you're coming along Sukhumvit from North Pattaya. Take the exit for the 7 where the flyover is, but don't get on the 7, keep to the left as if you're heading for the railway road. Take the u-turn just before you join the railway road so you're heading back towards Sukhumvit and it's up there on the left, maybe 200m before you join Sukhumvit.

You could also consider getting some items custom made at one of the wood furniture makers that have been recommended - there are several around Thepprasit Road. Take a sketch along or a picture of a piece you like from a magazine, give them the dimensions and decide what wood you want and ask for a price. It may not be as expensive as you think...