Thailand: Apply for your UK visa early

<snip>

Going back to the original message I am now planning to return to UK with partner and child permanently and I gather that these visas can take up to 12 weeks but thy say can only apply up to 3 months before the date of travel and that you should not book flights until visa granted. Does it really matter what date you put on the application for travel? In other words could you put a date within 3 months of the application but then travel a month or 2 later? I know this would eat into the length of the visa but can't have everything I suppose. Any advice appreciated.

Settlement applications can, indeed, take 3 months to process; sometimes longer!

The visa will start on the day it is issued or the requested date; whichever is the later. It cannot be used until the start date.

However, the initial visa will be valid for 27 months, but your wife will only need to have lived in the UK for 24 months to be time qualified for the next stage, Further Leave to Remain.

So, once the visa has been issued you will have three months (or up to 6 months if you asked for the start to be postdated) in which to make arrangements to move to the UK, purchase tickets etc.

Even if it takes you longer than this to move to the UK and so her visa expires before she has lived in the UK for 24 months she can apply for an extra FLR to make up the missing time; but, obviously, this will have to be paid for.

You may find UK settlement visa basics helpful.

• Like 1

<snip>

Going back to the original message I am now planning to return to UK with partner and child permanently and I gather that these visas can take up to 12 weeks but thy say can only apply up to 3 months before the date of travel and that you should not book flights until visa granted. Does it really matter what date you put on the application for travel? In other words could you put a date within 3 months of the application but then travel a month or 2 later? I know this would eat into the length of the visa but can't have everything I suppose. Any advice appreciated.

Settlement applications can, indeed, take 3 months to process; sometimes longer!

The visa will start on the day it is issued or the requested date; whichever is the later. It cannot be used until the start date.

However, the initial visa will be valid for 27 months, but your wife will only need to have lived in the UK for 24 months to be time qualified for the next stage, Further Leave to Remain.

So, once the visa has been issued you will have three months (or up to 6 months if you asked for the start to be postdated) in which to make arrangements to move to the UK, purchase tickets etc.

Even if it takes you longer than this to move to the UK and so her visa expires before she has lived in the UK for 24 months she can apply for an extra FLR to make up the missing time; but, obviously, this will have to be paid for.

You may find UK settlement visa basics helpful.

My Mum had a saying: It´s easy when you say it fast!

Many a slip twixt the cup and the lip.

I would recommend that your link is studied and even further research is done so that the application covers all the necessary points.

(You will recall that I was naieve and did not understand any of the difficulties of getting a holiday visa for my Thai wife and it was refused)

From what I have read on this forum, it is easy when the application totally fulfills Border Controls requirements,

make the slightest error and "on the balance of probabilities" it will be rejected.

Start your research, get it right and good luck.

It is not just Thai's who have to jump through hurdles, my wife ( japanese ) application was equally fraught with concern, married several years, sufficient finances, lived together several countries, IELTS sufficient for university iof she wanted to.

Eventuyally issued, BUT make sure you have at least all teh paperwork completed correctly all teh supporting documents as minimum required, and anything else you can possible think of.

She even owns property in the UK, so FLM you would have thought should have been no problem. Did all of this in Japan.

Now only hurdle for ILM is that stupid test for knowing what was teh latest episode of eastenders and what king died when.......... very useful for everyday life .......NOT

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have just returned from submitting an application for TGF's Tourist Visa today. Printed form given with receipt states 15 working days, however TGF was told 30 "days" by the Thai staff member who handled her paperwork.

and.............. received an email yesterday (day 12 of original 15)

"

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your UK Visa application. We aim to process non settlement applications within 15 working days and settlement applications within 60 working days, unless you have opted for one of our priority services.

Unfortunately, due to a high volume of applications at this time, your visa will not be processed within these service standards. We expect to make a decision on your visa application within the next 10 working days and we will notify you by email once a decision has been made.

Please do not contact us before this date unless you have a compassionate need to travel urgently, such as a death in the family or a medical emergency.

Replies to this email will not be answered. You will find our contact details at www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi-outside-uk.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Yours Sincerely

Regional Operations Manager

UK Visas and Immigration

Burma, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Thailand, Vietnam"

I've just tried to log into the UK Gov Visa Processing times site and SURPRISE w00t.gif ....................All the countries which are handled in Bangkok are no longer available on the drop down menue.

Draw your own conclusions sad.png

The processing times have been suspended since at least 10th August.

I have a student who works as an assistant to the ECOs in Bangkok and she warned me to expect up to 30 days for a Visitor visa and 15days for a "priority" application. She blamed it on the unexpectedly high number of student visa applications and thinks it should revert to "normal" by October.

I've just tried to log into the UK Gov Visa Processing times site and SURPRISE w00t.gif ....................All the countries which are handled in Bangkok are no longer available on the drop down menue.

Draw your own conclusions sad.png

Works for me!

The format has changed and instead of being in country order, it is now in post order; look for Bangkok, not Thailand.

Current visit visa table shows results for decisions made in August 2014.

Edited by 7by7

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I've just tried to log into the UK Gov Visa Processing times site and SURPRISE alt=w00t.gif> ....................All the countries which are handled in Bangkok are no longer available on the drop down menue.

Draw your own conclusions

Works for me!

The format has changed and instead of being in country order, it is now in post order; look for Bangkok, not Thailand.

Current visit visa table shows results for decisions made in August 2014.

THanks for that 7 by 7.....................I stand corrected

• 2 weeks later...

Applied on the 1st September, received 5 day delay email for son and 10 day delay email for gf. Both available today, 24th September, denied, gutted.

Did they give a reason why?

They have to give a formal refusal notice saying why the application was refused.

Fishism, if you want advice on how to deal with these refusals, I suggest that you start a new topic; those best placed to advise you, such as TonyM, may not see it if you ask for advice in this one.

If you do, please post each refusal notice in full, deleting all names and other identifying information first.

However, visit visas do not have the right of appeal; so all we can do is advise on how to overcome the reasons for these refusals so they can apply again.

Edited by 7by7

In the event, we received an email on 22 Sept, (19 working days). Collected documents, passport and tourist visa today.:-D

Have just returned from submitting an application for TGF's Tourist Visa today. Printed form given with receipt states 15 working days, however TGF was told 30 "days" by the Thai staff member who handled her paperwork.

and.............. received an email yesterday (day 12 of original 15)

"
Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your UK Visa application. We aim to process non settlement applications within 15 working days and settlement applications within 60 working days, unless you have opted for one of our priority services.

Unfortunately, due to a high volume of applications at this time, your visa will not be processed within these service standards. We expect to make a decision on your visa application within the next 10 working days and we will notify you by email once a decision has been made.

Please do not contact us before this date unless you have a compassionate need to travel urgently, such as a death in the family or a medical emergency.

Replies to this email will not be answered. You will find our contact details at www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi-outside-uk.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Yours Sincerely

Regional Operations Manager
UK Visas and Immigration
Burma, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Thailand, Vietnam"