Renewing full passport & Ed Visa Dillema

Hi,

My first post on TV, although browse the forums quite a bit.

Anyway, my UK passport is nearly full and I'm currently studying at a Language School (Thai) in Chiang Mai therefore have a 1 year Education Visa (expires in about 10 months). I know that getting a new UK passport in Thailand now takes quite a while (10 weeks on average form what I've read on here) however I am going back to the UK in a few weeks for family reasons for a month. Therefore I'm maybe thinking that i'll get a new passport whilst i'm there using the fast track service.

From what i've read on here and from speaking to my school and the UK passport office, it should be fine for me to re-enter Thailand using the Visa in the old passport along with showing my new passport to the immigration officials at Suvarnabhumi airport.

Question 1: Is this still the case (Visa in Old passport, enter using new)?

Normally, I wouldn't worry about such things however with all the recent changes/enforcement of Visa rules I fear I might run into trouble upon my return. I do have about 3/4 of a page left, which makes me think maybe I should wait to renew my passport in Bangkok when I return. Thing is that I would like to see a friend in Indonesia over Christmas and with the long wait people are currently experiencing renewing their passports in Thailand I might not receive my new one in time.

Question 2: I would appreciate anyones advice on what to do:

a) renew in London

B) wait until I return to Thailand

I currently have/will have the following documents which should allow easy access back into Thailand:

1) Letter form Language School mentioning that I'm getting a new passport in London

2) Letter form Language School giving me permission to return to the UK for 1 month

3) Letter form UK Passport Office detailing the change in passports (I'll get this when i'm renewing)

Question 3: What other documents do you think might prove useful for immigration if I decide to renew in London?

Many thanks in advance.

T

Do you have a multiple entry non-ed visa from an embassy or consulate that gives you 90 entries.

Or have you applied for an extension of stay at immigration.

A visa remains valid in the old passport until it expires. You just have to show both passports on entry to use the visa.

If you are on an extension of stay you will need a re-entry permit. It will also still be valid in your old passport for entry. Then after arriving you would go to immigration to have your stamps transferred to your new passport.

Sorry, I get a little confused over the whole 'visa' vs 'extension of stay' issue. I guess it's an extension of stay allowing me to study until July 2015.

I have already have a multi re- entry permit (3900 THB) in my passport (will be the old passport if I choose to renew in the UK).

CM immigration said it would be fine for me to swap the extension of stay stamp and re-entry permit once I get back.

hi i got a new passport the same day i arrived back to UK

simply call the passport office (for new passports) to arrange an appointment and ask for premium same-day service, i think it's a 4-5 hour wait from when you submit the forms

i have to say considering the problems they're meant to be having the passport office were incredibly friendly/helpful when i visited them last Friday:

i'd booked an appointment for 3pm to allow sufficient time as my flight arrived in at 10am

on arrival at Heathrow i went straight to the passport office (arriving around 12pm)to get the form to fill out.. i told the advisor i'd just come from Thailand, he told me to fill out the form straight away to get an earlier appointment which he did, everything was done/sent off around 1-2pm, i collected my passport around 6.45pm.

like many others i was told i'd have to pre-book an appointment 3 weeks in advance, this is now not so.

i got the bigger passport + premium service = 137UKP.

call them and book your appointment ASAP ;)

OK thanks Ubonjoe, I assume if you were me you would renew your passport in the UK and that the documents I have/will have are sufficient should the IO decide to give me a hard time.

For sure get yourself a new passport in the UK.

There have been a few reports of few people having problems on entry with a re-entry permit but they have been vague as to the true reason for it.

Just some proof you are attending school if asked for it. Plus a short language test possibly.

thanks for your reply Hoyism.

I have already called the UK passport office and booked an appointment. I have 4 weeks in the UK so am just using the 1 week fast track service.

Have you since returned to Thailand, and if so, where there any complications coming back in... also when was your trip back to the UK? I ask this as am worried that things have got tougher with immigration.

Definitely getting the jumbo passport as don't want to be having to do this again anytime soon.

@ ubonjoe - thanks. Should be fine with a Thai test, although have only been studying for just over a year so hope they don't get too advanced. Also think my Thai ability might of diminished a little after a 15 1/2 hr journey.

Jut wanted to check one last thing in light of todays announcement regarding the change in laws on the 29th August. I have an extension of stay on an Ed Visa (1 year taking me to July 2015). Will the IO, when i'm re-entering Thailand only give me 90 days, or will he/she stamp until July 2015? Please see my OP to see further details