Non B - 4 employees or just 1?

Hi, Spoke to my accountant last week and she said that in order for me to get a Non B visa + work permit to work in my wife's company she would need to employ 4 Thai staff (including herself) - something she does not need. Today I spoke to a friend of mine and he said he has a Non B to work in his wife's company, and the other staff member was his wife. Of course this makes a massive difference as we would save on three members of staff we never needed in the first place! Unfortunately he does not remember the name of his accountant and his wife is away for a few weeks so thought I would ask here.

Anyone have any idea how this is at all possible? I was always under the impression, and have always been told that you need to employ 4 Thai citizens with every Non B visa and work permit. Anyone have a case similar to that of my friend or can point me in the right direction?

It should be 2. But that can depend upon the work permit office you have to apply at.

You do not need to get a non-b visa you can get a work permit and work with a non-o visa or an extension of stay based upon marriage.

If you applied for an extension of stay based upon working for a company it would require 4 Thai employees and you would have to meet the minimum salary requirements for your nationality.

Really? So I can actually apply for a work permit on an Non Immigrant O and work for my wife's company? Any idea where I can read up about this? I.E. if there are any minimum salary requirements, job restrictions and what the entire process is? I'm also assuming the marriage needs to be registered in Thailand, something we have not done yet despite being married for 4 years (UK marriage). Not an issue to register, its just one of those things we never got around doing.

Yes you can get a work permit and work with a non-o based upon your marriage. There are many people doing it.

You might not need your marriage registered to apply for the work permit but you would need a translation of it.

You can get a single or multiple entry non-o visa with your UK marriage certificate. In order to get an extension of stay based upon marriage you would need your marriage registered.

There is no minimum salary requirement to get a work permit. The job and etc. would have the same requirements as any other work permit application.

In order to get the extension of stay based upon marriage you would need 400k baht in the bank or proof of 40k baht income. You can use the income from working by showing tax payments to prove your income and your work permit to prove you are working legally.

The marriage registration is fairly simple. It means doing a self certification of your marriage certificate at the embassy. Then having it and your marriage certificate translated to Thai and the translation certified by the MFA. Then a trip to the Amphoe to register your marriage. They would give you a Kor Ror 22 that is proof of the registration.

• Like 1

Where are you located? I (or officially my wife) have 2 staff and I have extension + workpermit. If in Phuket area let me know, and I can give you my accountant's details.

Yes I'm actually based in Phuket. Maybe you can PM me the details? Cheers