Working Visa and Work Permit renewal

Hi

i'm a 38 year old British national who will be returning home to the UK in 2 weeks for a short 2 day trip to renew my UK passport. The passport is full and has no space to insert a new visa.

My current working visa expires on 12th September so I need to renew my passport before then. The problem is that it will take 6-8 weeks [at least] to renew my passport via the usual means, and this would leave me in limbo regarding my visa renewal on September 12th. I don't want to jeopardise my work permit situation as i have had the same one now for 6+ years and am thinking about permanent residency at some point. If i get an overstay fine of 20k THB, this may affect future chances of visas/work permits - hence my decision to get the express service back in the UK.

My question is this:

When I return to the UK and pick up my new passport [one day premium service], how do i transfer the visa i'm currently on [1yr multi-entry] into the new passport and ensure i enter the country on the same visa?

Do i need to visit the Thai Embassy while I am in London to do this, or can i return to Thailand showing my old, invalid passport on arrival [with the visa in it], along with my new valid passport?

Anyone had similar experience?

Appreciate your thoughts and comments.

If you have a valid multiple entry non-o visa you could make a border run before the 12 th and get a new 90 day entry (a visa would not qualify you for PR).

Or have you been getting extensions of stay you apply for each year at immigration. And have a multiple re-entry permit.

A visa cannot be transferred you use both passports until it expires.

if you have an extension you would show your re-entry permit in your old passport and immigration will stamp you into the country until Sept. 12th, Then immigration would transfer your stamps to the new passport.

thanks for the reply

i have been using a one year, multiple entry visa attached to my work permit. it is renewed on an annual basis, and the date for visa expiry this year is 12th september.

so it seems i get my new passport when in london, and show both old and new passports on arrival to thailand, highlighting current visa and they will stamp me in until 12th september when that visa gets renewed.

i have the company folks looking into this as well, but appreciate your help.

thanks for the reply

i have been using a one year, multiple entry visa attached to my work permit. it is renewed on an annual basis, and the date for visa expiry this year is 12th september.

so it seems i get my new passport when in london, and show both old and new passports on arrival to thailand, highlighting current visa and they will stamp me in until 12th september when that visa gets renewed.

i have the company folks looking into this as well, but appreciate your help.

Visas you get from a Thai Consular Facility outside of Thailand, Extensions of Permission to Stay you get from your local Thai Immigration Department - chalk and cheese..

If you are on an extension and providing you have a valid re-entry permit then you can show both passports on your return before the 12th September and will be stamped in until the 12th of September, you will then need to visit immigration to get the re-entry permit and extension details transferred to your new passport. You could do this and apply fro a new extension of Permission to Stay at the same time.

If you are on a Multiple Entry Visa, you show both passports on re-entry and will get stamped in for another 90 days, end of - visas are not transferred to new passports.