UK General Visitor Visa question - When to book flight tickets?

If she has a bank account, then the pass book or statement or maybe even the ATM card would probably do as a second form of id; though I admit to not hearing of this requirement before.

The ECO does not know you; and people have been known to lie in visa applications! Therefore it is best to back up any statements with documentary evidence where possible.

However, as she does not live with you then proof of you owning a condo is rather superfluous; though it does help establish your status in Thailand and so strengthen her reason to return.

From the guide to supporting documents:

If you submit a document that is not in English or Welsh, it must be accompanied by a full translation that can be
independently verified by the Home Office. Each translated document must contain:
 confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document;
 the date of the translation;
 the translator's full name and signature; and
 the translator's contact details.

Thanks 7by7. I'll certainly make sure she has a copy of her bank card/passbook. The 2nd form of ID is hopefully not obligatory, although every Thai applicant will have their ID card, so will have a 2nd form of ID automatically. It would be interesting to know from any other Laos applicants in Bangkok, but I doubt they're reading this thread!

A new question please.

I got the letter of invitation from my parents in the UK except my mum's passport has expired. Therefore only my dad has provided copies of his passport, driving license, council tax bill and proof of ownership where me and my wife will be staying - is that enough or does my mum also need to provide a copy of her passport?

Thanks.

ianwuk

I got the letter of invitation from my parents in the UK except my mum's passport has expired. Therefore only my dad has provided copies of his passport, driving license, council tax bill and proof of ownership where me and my wife will be staying - is that enough or does my mum also need to provide a copy of her passport?

All you need is a letter of invitation and maybe a description of the accommodation available to you during your stay, for a visit visa proof of ownership isn't really required but you could include it if you want to.

Passports, driving licences and council tax bills are certainly not required from people offering accommodation to family members in their home.

Thanks for replying TOG!

I have a letter of invitation and proof of ownership as well as the other things mentioned as I want to be thorough.

I won't get penalised for too much information will I? (silly question, I know!)

Thanks again.

ianwuk

Edited by ianwuk

No you wont get penalised for too much information, but evidence needs to be relevant to the application.

But bear in mind that Entry Clearance Officers process numerous applications a day, they are looking for evidence that will allow a decision to be made quickly. There is a danger, and this is my opinion only as I've never done the job, that if you overwhelm with unnecessary and irrelevant information they could possibly miss evidence that is pertinent to the application.

Maybe ask yourself how relevant a passport, driving licence and council tax bill would be to satisfy the ECO that your parents are content for you and your partner to stay with them during your holiday, not everyone has a passport and driving licence.

No you wont get penalised for too much information, but evidence needs to be relevant to the application.

But bear in mind that Entry Clearance Officers process numerous applications a day, they are looking for evidence that will allow a decision to be made quickly. There is a danger, and this is my opinion only as I've never done the job, that if you overwhelm with unnecessary and irrelevant information they could possibly miss evidence that is pertinent to the application.

Maybe ask yourself how relevant a passport, driving licence and council tax bill would be to satisfy the ECO that your parents are content for you and your partner to stay with them during your holiday, not everyone has a passport and driving licence.

For what it's worth, my sister just included a copy of her annual Council Tax bill with her letter offering to accommodate me and my girlfriend. It confirms her name and the fact that the property is hers, as well as showing the size of the house.

I have a student who works as an assistant to the ECOs at the Embassy. She has confirmed that Visitor Visas are currently taking around 30 days to process (not 15), because of a backlog of student visa applications and computer problems!